OU @ KU 8pm CST on ESPN2

baylor and tech are behind OU

Maybe this year. Over the last 5 years? Nah fam.

Tech's best days might be behind them. Baylor will reload and be a top 10 team again soon. KSU is on the way up. ISU has rebounded.

When you are less athletic and less talented, you either foul or you give up a basket. You aren't as fast, you aren't as quick, you can't move as well, etc. So you foul. It's not that complicated.

Yeah exactly, the Groves brothers are slow of foot, especially laterally. This means they can't beat the offensive player to the spot which results in hip checks which almost always get called. We also reach, grab, and slap when defending. Tanner has a horrible habit of slapping at the ball when the other team gets a defensive rebound. We need to be more disciplined. Sometimes it's better to give up a layup than commit a foul.

I checked the boxscore of last night's game and I see that we committed 5 more fouls than KU for the entire game. Self says their goal in the second half was to drive to the basket and draw fouls on every possession.

But sure, it was the officiating.

box scores don't tell the whole story. I would suggest watching the game before commenting

When you are less athletic and less talented, you either foul or you give up a basket. You aren't as fast, you aren't as quick, you can't move as well, etc. So you foul. It's not that complicated.

Also, the defensive gameplan exacerbated the issue because by faceguarding Dick, the remaining four had to guard more space on the help end (meaning sometimes help wasn’t there). I think all things considered it was a good game plan and it took KU out of its comfort zone. But as with anything there’s a give and take.

box scores don't tell the whole story. I would suggest watching the game before commenting

I watched every second of it. I would suggest not being a total homer when commenting. I saw us up 10 points with 5 to play and having a total meltdown to lose.

You guys kill me.
We are in year 2 of a new coach, that wasn't left with much.
We are in close games and don't finish.
We are recruiting well.
Y'all act like we are kstate football before snyder

I watched every second of it. I would suggest not being a total homer when commenting. I saw us up 10 points with 5 to play and having a total meltdown to lose.

whatever.

There are a select few of you that have nothing but negativity and it all comes with your preconceived notion that Moser wasn't the guy we should have hired. You guys will always find something to ***** about.

whatever.

There are a select few of you that have nothing but negativity and it all comes with your preconceived notion that Moser wasn't the guy we should have hired. You guys will always find something to ***** about.

I supported the Moser hire. I comment on what I see on the court. I see us melting down late and losing close games. That with the overall lack of talent is concerning, but I'm not calling to fire anyone.

I supported the Moser hire. I comment on what I see on the court. I see us melting down late and losing close games. That with the overall lack of talent is concerning, but I'm not calling to fire anyone.

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

You guys kill me.
We are in year 2 of a new coach, that wasn't left with much.
We are in close games and don't finish.
We are recruiting well.
Y'all act like we are kstate football before snyder

If that was directed at me, let the record show that I agree with you. I like recruiting so far in the small sample size for the most part, and I'm impressed with how we've competed with some of these teams. All i'm saying is you've proven you can play with these teams, just freaking finish one of them. I bet if OU would have pulled a thrilling finish out of their rears against Texas then many of those people would have returned the next game.

If that was directed at me, let the record show that I agree with you. I like recruiting so far in the small sample size for the most part, and I'm impressed with how we've competed with some of these teams. All i'm saying is you've proven you can play with these teams, just freaking finish one of them. I bet if OU would have pulled a thrilling finish out of their rears against Texas then many of those people would have returned the next game.

nope, not at you

i'll have to go back and rewatch but I didn't get the impression we were taking the air out of the ball. Maybe the last 2 minutes but I felt we were still plenty agressive before that

Just check the game play by play. Once the lead got to 10, you’ll see that almost every OU possession lasted 25+ seconds. The notable exception was when we pushed the ball after a defensive rebound and lo and behold, that was the one possession we scored on the CJ layup that was goaltended. I was at the game and didn’t record it, but being there live, it seemed like those possessions primarily involved stationary dribbling while the clock ran down, then a one-on-one play.

Teams still played well during the Covid year when every stadium was either not filled at all or half filled. Hell, OU was ranked 10th at one point that season and the Lloyd Noble center was even emptier for every game! Play good ball, win games, then the fans will come.

This isn’t really true. Only way OU hoops would get consistent support would be if they were a top 5 type team year in and year out with NBA draft picks.

Very late in the run, fans started showing up for the Buddy team, but even his senior year there were crowds that were far from capacity. And prior to that year the turnout wasn’t great despite being good those years.

A new arena will help— it will provide a nice jolt until the novelty wears off— and that might last awhile. But the bottom line is that the fanbase just doesn’t care all that deeply.

i'll have to go back and rewatch but I didn't get the impression we were taking the air out of the ball. Maybe the last 2 minutes but I felt we were still plenty agressive before that

You know, it's funny you said that to your KU friend. I did the EXACT same, via text. I said, we are winning by 10, but I guarantee you all still win. We seem to find ways to blow leads and LOSE games in the end, rather than finding ways to WIN them. A Moser trait? I know this didn't happen when LK was the coach, not as frequently as the past 1.5 seasons, anyway. What gives? Is it really just mental? I honestly don't think KU won the game, but rather we lost it. We really need to at least win these type of games at home moving forward, although my heart probably won't allow me to watch them anymore, at least not the last couple of minutes.

I rewatched the last five minutes this morning. Tanner forced his way inside, almost turned the ball over, and scored the last two points during OU’s run, to stretch our lead to 71-61 at the 5:18 mark.

KU called timeout and that’s when the game changed in the other direction. The first play out of the timeout worked perfectly. KU spread the floor. Harris, closely guarded by Uzan, drove the baseline. Tanner, no doubt thinking Uzan needed help with the 6’ 1” guard, foolishly left the middle wide open for K J Adams. Adams caught the pass from Harris to make an uncontested dunk that cut the lead to eight.

That was the beginning of the end for OU! A short time later Noland turned the ball on one end, Dick missed a layup, got his own rebound and missed a shot from the perimeter on the other. The ball bounced to Wilson who hit a tough three pointer to cut the lead to five.

The rest is history. OU couldn’t get a break on a shot or a pass, and we darned sure didn’t get a break from the officials. But, we were also the victim of our own miscues on defense and the unwise shots we took during the last five minutes plus.

I rewatched the last five minutes this morning. Tanner forced his way inside, almost turned the ball over, and scored the last two points during OU’s run, to stretch our lead to 71-61 at the 5:18 mark.

KU called timeout and that’s when the game changed in the other direction. The first play out of the timeout worked perfectly. KU spread the floor. Harris, closely guarded by Uzan, drove the baseline. Tanner, no doubt thinking Uzan needed help with the 6’ 1” guard, foolishly left the middle wide open for K J Adams. Adams caught the pass from Harris to make an uncontested dunk that cut the lead to eight.

That was the beginning of the end for OU! A short time later Noland turned the ball on one end, Dick missed a layup, got his own rebound and missed a shot from the perimeter on the other. The ball bounced to Wilson who hit a tough three pointer to cut the lead to five.

The rest is history. OU couldn’t get a break on a shot or a pass, and we darned sure didn’t get a break from the officials. But, we were also the victim of our own miscues on defense and the unwise shots we took during the last five minutes plus.

The game was over for all intents and purposes when we gave up the two offensive rebounds. We got lucky that Gradey missed the three but once we let them get that board, you knew the next three was going in. But our offensive possessions were garbage. Grant rarely touched the ball. He did drive once and miss a layup he should have made. At the game, I thought he was fouled, but watching it today, he wasn’t. Otherwise, he only touched the ball once until that three that he forced after KU had already taken the lead. All that said, after they cut it to three, we got it back to five, got a stop, and then Noland missed a wide open three that would have made it 8 with exactly 2 mins left. We still could have found a way to blow that, but it would have been a challenge even for us to let that get away since we were in the double bonus and KU would have probably had to start fouling unless we turned it over.

You know, it's funny you said that to your KU friend. I did the EXACT same, via text. I said, we are winning by 10, but I guarantee you all still win. We seem to find ways to blow leads and LOSE games in the end, rather than finding ways to WIN them. A Moser trait? I know this didn't happen when LK was the coach, not as frequently as the past 1.5 seasons, anyway. What gives? Is it really just mental? I honestly don't think KU won the game, but rather we lost it. We really need to at least win these type of games at home moving forward, although my heart probably won't allow me to watch them anymore, at least not the last couple of minutes.

Lon was like 1-10 in overtime games at ou.

Back