OU @ KU 8pm CST on ESPN2

Everybody on the team will get a participation trophy for this season as a reward. Aren't we tired of shooting to be in the NIT at the end of the year?

Everybody on the team will get a participation trophy for this season as a reward. Aren't we tired of shooting to be in the NIT at the end of the year?

I've had my frustrations this year, but OU not making the tournament has more to do with how darn good the Big 12 is more than if OU is a tournament team. They probably make the tournament this year if they're in any other P5 conference.

It’s really annoying when everyone says, “well if OU had done…” when the same rules are not applied to ku. OU has to make shots…ku doesn’t have to make shots. They can go 13 minutes without a FG and be ok because they’ll be assisted by the officiating with 30+ FTs in the second half. It’s ridiculous.

OU has to play above and beyond to win in Lawrence. Even that’s not enough because the refs will make sure ku wins the game. KU doesn’t even have to play well, they’ll be taken care of. Whatever they need, they will get. They don’t have to earn anything, it will be given to them.

OU has to overcome a good ku team and the refs that are applying the rules to benefit ku. It’s always been that way. It will always be that way. It isn’t right. It says beware the phog because everyone on the planet knows you’re about to be screwed over.

It’s really annoying when everyone says, “well if OU had done…” when the same rules are not applied to ku. OU has to make shots…ku doesn’t have to make shots. They can go 13 minutes without a FG and be ok because they’ll be assisted by the officiating with 30+ FTs in the second half. It’s ridiculous.

OU has to play above and beyond to win in Lawrence. Even that’s not enough because the refs will make sure ku wins the game. KU doesn’t even have to play well, they’ll be taken care of. Whatever they need, they will get. They don’t have to earn anything, it will be given to them.

OU has to overcome a good ku team and the refs that are applying the rules to benefit ku. It’s always been that way. It will always be that way. It isn’t right. It says beware the phog because everyone on the planet knows you’re about to be screwed over.
My cousin’s (who went to OU) wife (ku grad) …. Tried arguing the 3 pt disparity and TO… when I mentioned the FT issue. Lol…

I told her ya don’t think 16 more ft attempts had anything to do with it? No response of course.

I've had my frustrations this year, but OU not making the tournament has more to do with how darn good the Big 12 is more than if OU is a tournament team. They probably make the tournament this year if they're in any other P5 conference.

Well said. I don't think the committee will put all 10 teams in but I think the Big 12 will get 8. I think OU will finish ahead of TTU, so just have to find that second team to be ahead of in the standings - maybe OSU, WVU, or TCU..

If ISU, Baylor, Tech, KSU can be good then OU should be able to. No excuses

Agreed, but sad that expectations are now so low that you only name those. For most of my life OU's been the second best basketball program in their conference(Big 8 or Big 12) to KU. That's it. The thing is they can and should still be. Sad..

Again, I've been vocal about my frustrations. But OU is a good basketball team. Are they great? No. Is "good," good enough? Not in the Big 12. But Oklahoma is right with those teams this year. In fact, I bet they sweep Tech, and could very well split the rest.

The biggest questions for OU basketball right now is can they get over the hump? Is the current coaching staff able to get them there? Not "Are they a good basketball team?"

It’s always easy to complain about officiating, especially In Lawrence. But Moser’s offensive plan in the last few minutes of games is laughable. We scored 40 points in the first 15 minutes of the second half by playing aggressively, but when we were up 10, I turned to my KU friend and told her they would win because we would spend the rest of the game trying to run out the clock and isolate one guy late in the clock. And for about the hundredth game in a row, Grant barely touched the ball down the stretch. I wish we could remove Moser from the sideline at the five minute mark and replace him with a coach who goes for the jugular. A team that is good enough to win in Lawrence will miss the tournament because of end game failures.

i'll have to go back and rewatch but I didn't get the impression we were taking the air out of the ball. Maybe the last 2 minutes but I felt we were still plenty agressive before that

Grant did receive the ball on multiple switches in the last few minutes. He missed a layup, missed a three, got stoned defensively, and had some no calls.

exactly. and if i remember right, under 2 minutes, he started bringing the ball upcourt instead of los

Well said. I don't think the committee will put all 10 teams in but I think the Big 12 will get 8. I think OU will finish ahead of TTU, so just have to find that second team to be ahead of in the standings - maybe OSU, WVU, or TCU..

I agree. The conference looks a little less intimidating right now then even last week. OU very well may be able to sweep WVU, TTU, and OSU. Then they got to split W's with atleast three other teams and they will be in it.

They just don’t really get much better game to game. Do they PLAY better in some games than others? Yes. They played better last night than they did vs ISU, for example. But they don’t really carry anything over (negative or positive) from game to game. It’s like each game is a new season and it’s the same season over and over and over. Doesn’t matter if it’s at home vs Sam Houston or on road at KU-/ the game will bog down, offense will be difficult both ways, it will be close late, and OU will struggle over the final minutes. A tough, gutsy performance in a losing effort on road can be admirable and can help you down the road. But we’ve seen it so often now without any real improvement, that I think we are beyond awarding accolades for admirable losses.

This is my main concern. I thought we played great last night, but a few factors kept us from the W. But OU has a strange trend that doesn't make me particularly optimistic. OU (even under Lon) at times would play outstanding against teams that they essentially had very little chance to win....and they would come up just short. Then they would turn around and play poorly against a lesser team when they really need to win. And this habit limits the wins that they need against teams that they actually can beat.....and decreases the chances (or seed) in the tournament. It's like they pick and choose their spots to play really well and it usually works against them.

We've already seen it this year against Texas (playing really well)....followed up by an average performance against ISU...and they lose again. So my expectations aren't that high against WV on Saturday until they disprove this trend.

Agreed, but sad that expectations are now so low that you only name those. For most of my life OU's been the second best basketball program in their conference(Big 8 or Big 12) to KU. That's it. The thing is they can and should still be. Sad..

Why should they still be 2nd when they are dead last in fan support? The only reason they have been successful is due to elite administrations who can hire the right coaches, despite the worst fans in the country weighing the program down.

Why should they still be 2nd when they are dead last in fan support? The only reason they have been successful is due to elite administrations who can hire the right coaches, despite the worst fans in the country weighing the program down.

Bingo. If the OU fan base needs to know why basketball has been barely treading water since Buddy, then they need only to look in the mirror. The culprit is looking back at you.

You better be football or winning a natty every year or fans don't give a ****.

Hadn't seen K State yet this year. Last year, and many others in the Weber era, their arena seemed like a concrete mausoleum much like Lloyd Noble. But last night? Damn! THe noise and excitement were oozing from the freaking rafters! The Pokes were giving them a game but KState's players were making plays left and right, being clutch, and providing an exciting product. I don't care if you play your games in a barn if you have a winning, exciting product it doesn't matter where the * you play your games. And the fans will come out! Much like when I was a kid in the Tubbs era... you could feel the noise and passion coming through the TV set!

Now am I going to argue that OU has front running, spoiled fans that will only come out if the product is ultra winning? No I will not. OU fans are spoiled beyond belief. But sheesh when get some in there like against Texas and get at least a modicum of energy in the barn, deliver! Make the damn play. Or you'll get the grave yard support you guys like to call it or whatever... We go round and round...

I checked the boxscore of last night's game and I see that we committed 5 more fouls than KU for the entire game. Self says their goal in the second half was to drive to the basket and draw fouls on every possession.

But sure, it was the officiating.

I checked the boxscore of last night's game and I see that we committed 5 more fouls than KU for the entire game. Self says their goal in the second half was to drive to the basket and draw fouls on every possession.

But sure, it was the officiating.

When you are less athletic and less talented, you either foul or you give up a basket. You aren't as fast, you aren't as quick, you can't move as well, etc. So you foul. It's not that complicated.

Hadn't seen K State yet this year. Last year, and many others in the Weber era, their arena seemed like a concrete mausoleum much like Lloyd Noble. But last night? Damn! THe noise and excitement were oozing from the freaking rafters! The Pokes were giving them a game but KState's players were making plays left and right, being clutch, and providing an exciting product. I don't care if you play your games in a barn if you have a winning, exciting product it doesn't matter where the * you play your games. And the fans will come out! Much like when I was a kid in the Tubbs era... you could feel the noise and passion coming through the TV set!

Now am I going to argue that OU has front running, spoiled fans that will only come out if the product is ultra winning? No I will not. OU fans are spoiled beyond belief. But sheesh when get some in there like against Texas and get at least a modicum of energy in the barn, deliver! Make the damn play. Or you'll get the grave yard support you guys like to call it or whatever... We go round and round...

Teams still played well during the Covid year when every stadium was either not filled at all or half filled. Hell, OU was ranked 10th at one point that season and the Lloyd Noble center was even emptier for every game! Play good ball, win games, then the fans will come.

Back