Reaction score
Announced Schedule:
Saturday, November 21 - @ Virginia Commonwealth, TBD
Wednesday, December 2 - vs. Arkansas, 7 PM
Sunday, December 6 - vs. Arizona, 6 PM
Saturday, December 12 - @ Utah, 3 PM
Monday, December 21 - vs. UTEP, TBA
Thursday, December 31 - @ Gonzaga

OK, here we go with the announcement of selected men's hoops games. We'll reveal six non-conf games...1 every 15 minutes...

Then @jeffcapel will comment on each one, so be sure to follow him. The full schedule will be released on SoonerSports.com at noon CT.

First game we're announcing is on Saturday, Nov. 21 at VCU, Coach Capel's previous program. OU beat the Rams last year 81-70 in OKC.

Start time and TV for VCU game are TBD. OU lost last time it played in Richmond, 98-82, during 1993-94 season.

VCU features big man Larry Sanders, who is on Wooden Award top-50 preseason list. Rams have played in 2 of last 3 NCAA Tourneys.

jeffcapel: Game vs VCU will be very weird! I have so many gr8 feelings about that place. Being on the opposite bench will be diff. And they are good!!

It's a very tough place to play. I know it will be a tough environment! But playing them will definitely help prepare us for Big 12 play!!!

OU fans, google Larry Sanders. VCU's big guy. He's projected as a 2010 lottery pick. Has the longest arms I've ever seen!!!

Next game on our list is at home vs. Arkansas on Wednesday, Dec. 2 at 7 p.m. CT

OU had won five straight vs. Arkansas prior to last year's 96-88 road loss. Willie Warren had 35 points and Tony Crocker hit 6 treys.

jeffcapel: Arkansas will be another very tough game. That was our only non conference loss last season. Washington, Fortson, and Clarke all return.

We need a HUGE crowd for that one! Dec. 2nd.....four days b4 big 12 fball championship! The crowd at Arkansas was awesome last year

Four days after Arkansas, the Arizona Wildcats come to Norman (Sunday, Dec. 6). Big 12/Pac-10 Hardwood Series game will tip at 6 p.m. CT.

OU owns 4-1 record vs. Arizona and has won the last 4. Last meeting was in 2002 Sweet 16 (No. 2 seed OU beat No. 3 seed Wildcats 88-67).

jeffcapel: Arizona in the Big 12/Pac 10 challenge!!! Sean Miller is a helluva coach and was a great hire. Nic Wise is a helluva pg! Sunday, Dec. 6th

We need another HUGE crowd for the Arizona game! Day after our football team wins another Big 12 championship!!!!

Next one on our list is a game at Utah on Saturday, Dec. 12 (3 p.m. CT). The game will be televised nationally on Versus.

OU leads series vs. Utah, 2-1, and won 70-52 in Norman last year despite @blakegriffin being held without a FG (still got a double-double).

jeffcapel: Jim Boylan at Utah is a helluva coach! That will be a tough game. He will have his team very prepared!

OU's All-College Classic opponent Dec. 21 at OKC's Ford Center will be UTEP. Miners won 23 games last year.

UTEP also welcomes Louisville transfer Derrick Caracter to this year's lineup.

jeffcapel: We have UTEP in the all college. That will be a very tough challenge for our young team. They are very talented and athletic as sin

Last up for our non-conf. matchups this morning is a New Year's Eve road game against Gonzaga. Will be played off campus at Spokane Arena.

Sooners won only previous meeting vs. Gonzaga, 72-68 two years ago in OKC. Bulldogs made last year's Sweet 16.

jeffcapel: At Gonzaga new years eve! What a schedule!!!! Mark Few is one of the best in the biz...best coaches and best people. They will be vg again

SoonerSports release: http://twitter.com/SoonerSportscom
Jeff Capel response: http://twitter.com/jeffcapel

Last edited:
Here are some funny responses to Capel on his twitter page in response to the schedule.

From Duke assistant Chris Collins:

@jeffcapel Are u trying to break the record for most tweets in a day or something?

From Scout.com recruiting guru Dave Telep:

@jeffcapel Ouch, who scheduled your games? Must have been thinking Blake was coming back

I have to agree with Telep.... this is a big league schedule for a very young team. Arizona, at VCU, Houston, UTEP, Arizona, Utah, Arkansas, Gonzaga.... Damn, that is a loaded non-conference schedule.

With seven non-conference games away from the LNC, we better be clicking pretty early on in the season.

Googled Larry Sanders as requested. He does have long arms. Hope WW dunks on him.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFJT1MMuzw"]Nasty Dunk[/ame]

Bigabd can we get twitter updates on UTEP?
Thanks in advance.

Hey man, all recruits of OU should know that this is the kind of schedule you should expect.

OU doesn't side-step people; they don't duck away from challenges; they go to work, schedule marquee opponents and play on national tv.

Come to OU, and show off your skills on a national stage. If you hate challenges, this isn't the team for you.:OUbball-logo:

I like it that we play a challenging schedule and hope that we do it every year, young team or not. It gets you ready for conference season, excites the fanbase, and helps the young guys grow up faster.

Hey man, all recruits of OU should know that this is the kind of schedule you should expect.

OU doesn't side-step people; they don't duck away from challenges; they go to work, schedule marquee opponents and play on national tv.

Come to OU, and show off your skills on a national stage. If you hate challenges, this isn't the team for you.:OUbball-logo:

This!

With a schedule like that we should know how good we are before the conference schedule. Some players are going to have to grow up quickly. I love the schedule though.

With a schedule like that we should know how good we are before the conference schedule. Some players are going to have to grow up quickly. I love the schedule though.

I'm not sure if anyone could have said this better. Yeah, I agree with you completely! This schedule is certainly a challenge for even the best of teams. I can't wait to see how we fare against this set of opponents!

Question: How well would Chuck Norris fare against a schedule like this?

Back