OU picked 9th in Big 12 Coaches Preseason Poll

Lets take a look at the current team vs. a few of the Sampson era NCAA Tournament teams.

2000 Team
G- JR Raymond
G- Hollis Price
G- Kelley Newton
F- Eduardo Najera
F- Renzi Stone

2001 Team
G- JR Raymond
G-Hollis Price
G- Nolan Johnson
F- Aaron Mcghee
F- Daryan Selvy

2002 Team
G- Quannas White
G- Hollis Price
G- Ebi Ere
F- Aaron Mcghee
F- Jabari Brown

G- Quannas White
G- Hollis Price
G- Ebi Ere
F- Kevin Bookout
F- Jabari Brown

G- Terrell Everett
G- Drew Lavender
G- Lawrence Mckenzie
F- Kevin Bookout
F- Taj Gray

G- JR Raymond
G- Eric Martin
G- Kelley newton
F- Eduardo Najera
F- Ryan Humphrey

Every single one of these teams would probably wipe the floor with this years OU team, on paper and in reality.

The great part is, we actually get to play these games. Once we start the conference season, who knows what will happen?

This. Lon will make it an exciting climb.

Note: Underdawg was born on the wrestling team, then the b ball team adopted him.

Every single one of these teams would probably wipe the floor with this years OU team, on paper and in reality.

I love how you take some of Kelvin's better, more talented teams.

What about his early years? What about him taking teams to the tournament that started guys like Foster, Ontjes, Barnes, Abercrombie and Heskett? Are you really going to tell me that Steven Pledger doesn't have more potential then Heskett? Is Fitz really any different than Abercrombie?

The only differences in a lot of those guys is the coaching they've received. Capel didn't get it done. Kelvin did. I happen to think LK is a lot closer to Kelvin than he is to Capel. Will that be reflected this year? Not sure. I think to some degree it will be. But we'll bring back essentially the same roster the year after that, and I guarantee you'll see it then.

Coaching is the difference.

Guys like Allison, Newton, and even Curry.....those guys weren't overly good at anything, other than shooting the basketball. Kelvin put them in a system. I expect LK to do the same. We have some decent shooters. We have some guys that can score the rock. Slow things down. Run sets. Play great defense. Win ugly. We've done it before, we should be able to do it with this current group of players. As the talent increases (Hield and Hornbeak is a good start, hopefully along with a monster 2013 class), we can play a different style.

I love how you take some of Kelvin's better, more talented teams.

What about his early years? What about him taking teams to the tournament that started guys like Foster, Ontjes, Barnes, Abercrombie and Heskett? Are you really going to tell me that Steven Pledger doesn't have more potential then Heskett? Is Fitz really any different than Abercrombie?

The only differences in a lot of those guys is the coaching they've received. Capel didn't get it done. Kelvin did. I happen to think LK is a lot closer to Kelvin than he is to Capel. Will that be reflected this year? Not sure. I think to some degree it will be. But we'll bring back essentially the same roster the year after that, and I guarantee you'll see it then.

Coaching is the difference.

lol that was every team from 1999-2005.

I really like this board, but there are a handful of posters like a select few in this thread who just make this place depressing and borderline miserable.

I have no idea what to expect... I think our talent is better than they've let on because of coaching. That's what I hope at least...

I think we can finish 6th, based on pure hope and dreams. Realistically, we can really finish last. I do not think that will happen, though.

I really like this board, but there are a handful of posters like a select few in this thread who just make this place depressing and borderline miserable.

Translation: I want to read things that I already agree with, and don't want anyone to challenge what I believe to be true.

You need a new translator, among other things.

Why else would you not even want to hear someone else legit opinion? Apparently every coach in the Big 12 shares my opinion. Its not like im so rogue fan. Everyone in the league thinks OU will finish at or around the bottom.

well...truth is we're not going to be very good. Coach could whip'em into the absolute best shape they can possibly be and still finish no better than 9th - the ceiling is just pretty low right now.

Capel destroyed a really good basketball program.

I expect us to be better next year just because of coaching. But our recruiting under Capel just lacked the last few years. We didn't recruit to any type of system so it's gonna be a tough start. Coaching should instantly make us better but the talent level is still pretty low and we basically came from not having a real system the last few years. It's gonna take a couple years to get those players. I like some of the guys we have right now. But we basically need Osby to be a star and Pledger to step up his game big time.

Why else would you not even want to hear someone else legit opinion? Apparently every coach in the Big 12 shares my opinion. Its not like im so rogue fan. Everyone in the league thinks OU will finish at or around the bottom.

I enjoy hearing other legitimate opinions, that's the whole point of a message board. However, I do not consider opinions such as "Our team sucks", "our players suck", "this player sucks", "this player does not deserve to be at OU", and "this bad team is significantly better than our bad team" to be legitimate. Your crap has been old for years, and quite frankly, it ruins almost every thread on this board for posters who actually care about OU Basketball and the athletes who represent it, regardless of how their talent level is evaluated by some repugnant message board hero.

I enjoy hearing other legitimate opinions, that's the whole point of a message board. However, I do not consider opinions such as "Our team sucks", "our players suck", "this player sucks", "this player does not deserve to be at OU", and "this bad team is significantly better than our bad team" to be legitimate. Your crap has been old for years, and quite frankly, it ruins almost every thread on this board for posters who actually care about OU Basketball and the athletes who represent it, regardless of how their talent level is evaluated by some repugnant message board hero.

Where did I say any of that in this thread?

I agreed with Bill Self, Scott Drew, Lon Kruger, Billy gillispie, Travis Ford, Frank Martin, Fred Hoiberg, Frank Haith, Billy Kennedy, and Rick Barnes about the conference standings.

Then I said ISU should be better than Oklahoma.

Then I posted the rosters for OU teams from 1999 to 2005 because someone said this years team has as much talent as some of Sampsons better, NCAA tournament teams, so I posted the roster to compare to what we have this year. Seems legit. No?

Interesting.

Where did I say any of that in this thread?

I agreed with Bill Self, Scott Drew, Lon Kruger, Billy gillispie, Travis Ford, Frank Martin, Fred Hoiberg, Frank Haith, Billy Kennedy, and Rick Barnes about the conference standings.

Then I said ISU should be better than Oklahoma.

Then I posted the rosters for OU teams from 1999 to 2005 because someone said this years team has as much talent as some of Sampsons better, NCAA tournament teams, so I posted the roster to compare to what we have this year. Seems legit. No?

Interesting.

:ez-laugh:

You're right, you didn't (nor have you ever) go out of your way to bash the team and/or players in this thread, expess or inferred.

If you're intent on criticizing players, which we all know you are, at least wait until someone dribbles a basketball at the first official practice today. You can wait another 65 minutes, can't you?

Whoe Nellie! I resemble that remark. I care about the basketball program. And have for a long time.

And who cares the most has nothing to do with whether or not the program is at it lowest ebb in a generation. It is. Capel was a bad hire. He proved it. Many of the players still around are not good enough to get playing time on a tourney caliber team. They also have proved it.

Stop cheerleading against the evidence and contrary opinions might stop coming in.

Capel was a bad hire. He proved it.

Agreed.

Many of the players still around are not good enough to get playing time on a tourney caliber team. They also have proved it.

Nonsense. There isn't a player on this team that I can't compare to a former OU player that "got playing time" on a "tourney caliber team".

Even if you argue some guys are starting when they should be coming off the bench, if that isn't the extent of your argument, it is foolish.

To suggest top 100 recruits aren't good enough to play on solid OU teams is an irresponsible comment to make, IMO.

Having a system alone will make the players better and the team better. But NCAA Tournament better? That's a pretty big jump. We just don't have the size inside and the scoring at guard. Even if Pledger ends up being a 15-20 ppg guy we don't really have any other scoring guards.

Having a system alone will make the players better and the team better. But NCAA Tournament better? That's a pretty big jump. We just don't have the size inside and the scoring at guard. Even if Pledger ends up being a 15-20 ppg guy we don't really have any other scoring guards.

If Steven Pledger is a 15-20 ppg guy (which would put him as a top 5 scorer in the league) OU will for sure go to the NCAA Tournament if Cameron Clark and Romero Osby (the safest bets) are as advertised.

Back