OU picked 9th in Big 12 Coaches Preseason Poll

Having a system alone will make the players better and the team better. But NCAA Tournament better? That's a pretty big jump. We just don't have the size inside and the scoring at guard. Even if Pledger ends up being a 15-20 ppg guy we don't really have any other scoring guards.

system?

Kruger isn't a "system" coach. This team will play better defense and have much more discipline (which will definitely make them better) ... but it won't be due to a "system" by the new coach.

Agreed.

Nonsense. There isn't a player on this team that I can't compare to a former OU player that "got playing time" on a "tourney caliber team".

Even if you argue some guys are starting when they should be coming off the bench, if that isn't the extent of your argument, it is foolish.

To suggest top 100 recruits aren't good enough to play on solid OU teams is an irresponsible comment to make, IMO.

Would you please stop hanging your hat on that top 100 recruit nonsense. Some number that some scouting service hung on some high school kid 2/3 years ago is meaningless. And you know that.

I know this getting picked tied for last has you all balled up. So, If it will make you feel better, Pledger did get himself open and made a couple of really tough shots during some 5 on 5 drills toward the end of practice today.

Would you please stop hanging your hat on that top 100 recruit nonsense. Some number that some scouting service hung on some high school kid 2/3 years ago is meaningless. And you know that.

I know this getting picked tied for last has you all balled up. So, If it will make you feel better, Pledger did get himself open and made a couple of really tough shots during some 5 on 5 drills toward the end of practice today.

And Osby played with the posts. The world is right. :)

If the top 100 argument was that we recruited ONE kid that was overrated, fine, I might agree. But "all" of our top kids can't play at this level? Or even "most" of them can't? That is nonsense and you know it. They've had terrible coaching for two years. LK will make all the difference in the world.

ISU should be significantly better than Oklahoma.

As for Tech... OU and Tech are the biggest unknowns in the league. Not surprised they predicted last together.

We beat ISU in Ames last year.
Highly doubt they'll be "significantly better" than us.

And no. Osby did not drill with the post. They were split into 2 about equall groups. The tall guys and the short guys.

All the tall guys ran post type drills for awhile. Honere scored over him twice in a short period of time. Osby is a pretty good player, but, he can not be over 6'6".

If you are looking for someone to be an asset in the paint that you were not counting on, there is no reason that CJ shouldn't contribute limited but solid minutes.

And no. Osby did not drill with the post. They were split into 2 about equall groups. The tall guys and the short guys.

All the tall guys ran post type drills for awhile. Honere scored over him twice in a short period of time. Osby is a pretty good player, but, he can not be over 6'6".

If you are looking for someone to be an asset in the paint that you were not counting on, there is no reason that CJ shouldn't contribute limited but solid minutes.

The practice report from today indicated that he is 6'6'' and shorter than CJ Washington, who looked small amongst D1 post players last year. If that turns out to be accurate, this team is in serious trouble in the paint.

The practice report from today indicated that he is 6'6'' and shorter than CJ Washington, who looked small amongst D1 post players last year. If that turns out to be accurate, this team is in serious trouble in the paint.

Yes, some trouble. But, better than last season. Firstly, I think CJ does have something to offer. More than what we saw last season.

Then there is Arent. The kid really does have good skills. He is certainly no stiff. But, I sensed it some on the videos, and then in person it seemed that he is going to be bothered by a lack of strenght. It won't be a problem with Coppin ST. and the like. But, some of the better bigs will likely be able to push him around some. He is 6'10" and 235. He needs to be 6' 10" and 255. Mayby next season for a bigger impact. But, some decent help now.

Kruger was a guard. He likes guards. And he will play his guards. But, there will be plenty of times that he will have Arent and Fitz on the floor together. So, some of the time, we might be alittle better in the paint. Other times, not so much.

this looks like the most "down" year for the conference i can remember. if we finish last this year, we were pretty bad. not Melvin Watkins 0-16 bad, but bad.

i don't see how ATM wins the conference with a first year HC.

I will be TICKLED PINK if we finish better than 6th or so and will happily come back here and proclaim what an idiot I was.

That said - it's not gonna happen. I'm afraid our talent level was just ridiculously low for such an esteemed program.

Naw, we have alot better talented then people think, just very very poor coaching

Poor Talent + Poor Coaching < Poor Talent + Good Coaching

I'm not suggesting that's not true. Still, I don't think in this instance the coaching will be enough to lift the team out of the cellar of the conference.

I will be TICKLED PINK if we finish better than 6th or so and will happily come back here and proclaim what an idiot I was.

That said - it's not gonna happen. I'm afraid our talent level was just ridiculously low for such an esteemed program.

I don't know that I agree with this. On paper OU actually has a respectable level of talent but OU also has some obvious flaws. Starting with positives, OU has three top 100 high school players that will start next season in Fitzgerald, Pledger and Cam Clark. Honestly, that is a pretty high number of top 100 starters for OU on a historical basis. Additionally, OU has Osby and Grooms. It seems the whole world has raved about Osby for an entire year. Capel called him the best player on the team last year. He was supposed to be a star at Mississippi State but things didn't work out for him. On paper Romero is more talented than a lot of guys that played at OU in the past. Grooms is a Juco AA. Again on paper he is as talented as many other juco transfers to come to OU.

The downsides for OU are probably (in this order) first, lack of a true bigman. Fitzgerald is a nice PF in the Big XII but he is not a center. He simply can't defend the post or rebound at a high enough level to do it all for OU. He will get his points and made honorable mention All Big XII so he is a respectable player but he has some limitations. I don't know how tall Osby is but OU lists him at 6'8";thereofre, I think it is safe to say he is shorter than 6'8". Honore, Washington and Neal are all undersized for a Big XII center. Arent seems to have the size but he has to prove it to me before I am a believer. The percentage of Juco bigs that have done well at OU and OSU over the years is a pretty low percentage. It has certainly happened but the Oleg Restovs or Joseph Szesdries are a lot more common than the Ace McGhees and Jabari Browns (Brown was not actually a juco but he did transfer in).

Second, OU needs to improve at the point guard position. I think Blair was acceptable last year. He is a legitimated D-1 pg but he is probably in the bottom half of the starting pgs in the conference. I expect him to be improved but OU probably needs Grooms to beat him out as the starter. I don't mean this as an insult to Blair. I can only dream of having the athletic ability that he has. I recognize that the vast majority of internet basketball fans were starters in high school and most were at least all-city if not all-state but I actually couldn't make my high school team and have no need to rewrite history simply because this is the internet. I admire the abilities of all the guys that play for OU.

Third, OU lacks depth. Last season OU had no one to come off the bench and score points on a consistent basis. It was questionable if OU had guys ready to come off the bench and play at Big XII level on a consistent basis. OU was extremely young. The Sooners only lost one player (Cade Davis) and add Osby, Grooms and Arent. If two of those guys start and the third contributes at a Big XII level, I have hopes that the depth issue will be vastly improved. I saw some moments for Newell, Washington and Neal. I am hoping that one or two guys on the bench step up and make it obvious to the coach that they are entitled to all of the backup minutes. There is nothing wrong with a 7 or 8 man rotation when the 6 and 7 guys are producing. It is a problem when a team only goes 7 deep and gets no production from its bench because it means the 8-13 guys are simply not ready to play.

One last thing. I want to be optimistic about the season. I really want OU to do well. I am not sure I agree with the no talent comments but I do think this will be a tough year for OU. I think lack of a true center, pg and depth will make this an NIT team at best.

One last thing. I want to be optimistic about the season. I really want OU to do well. I am not sure I agree with the no talent comments but I do think this will be a tough year for OU. I think lack of a true center, pg and depth will make this an NIT team at best.

And compared to the last couple years NIT is a GREAT year this year.

I don't know that I agree with this. On paper OU actually has a respectable level of talent but OU also has some obvious flaws. Starting with positives, OU has three top 100 high school players that will start next season in Fitzgerald, Pledger and Cam Clark.

I think Osby was top 100 as well.

We have better talent than most Big XII teams and will finish in the top half of the league.

Back