>>>>>>OU-TCU Gameday Thread<<<<<<

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210677288

TUESDAY'S GAME BASICS
No. 1/2 Oklahoma and TCU will match wits for the first time this season Tuesday night inside the Lloyd Noble Center at 7 p.m. CT. OU, which is 18-2 overall and tied atop the Big 12 standings at 6-2, is in its fifth season under head coach Lon Kruger. The Horned Frogs are 10-11 this season (1-7 Big 12) and are under the direction of Trent Johnson, who is in his fourth campaign in Fort Worth. Both teams are coming off of wins in the Big 12/SEC Challenge last Saturday.

ON THE AIR
Tuesday’s contest will air on the Sooner Radio Network (KRXO 107.7 FM “The Franchise” in Oklahoma City; KTBZ 1430 AM in Tulsa) with Toby Rowland and Scott Thompson announcing. The matchup will be televised by ESPNEWS (remote telecast) with Mark Neely and Paul Biancardi calling the action.

NOTES ON THE HORNED FROGS
TCU is led in scoring by Malique Trent (11.4), Vlad Brodziansky (10.7) and Chauncey Collins (10.5). Kaviar Shepherd is leading the Horned Frogs on the glass with his 6.1 rebounds per game.

Last time out, TCU erased a 14-point halftime deficit Saturday to record a 75-63 victory over Tennessee. Against the Vols, the Horned Frogs did it on both ends of the court in the second half, holding Tennessee to only 23.5 percent from the field, including a 0-for-15 showing from deep. On offense, TCU shot 62.5 percent for the half and 50 percent from three. Individually, Malique Trent came alive in the second stanza, scoring 14 of his team-high 15 points in the period.

TCU has never faced a No. 1 ranked team twice in a season in program history (until Tuesday vs. OU). In all, the Frogs have only squared off against a No. 1 ranked team a total of six times all-time, including now twice this year with Kansas previously laying claim to the top-spot and now Oklahoma.

Chauncey Collins has begun to make his mark as of late, scoring the basketball from all over the court. The sophomore, who has scored in double-figures in six out of the eight league games, which includes games of 20 versus West Virginia and 19 against Texas Tech, has hit three or more three’s in four out of the eight games. In the four games against league foes ranked in the top-25, Collins is averaging 14.0 points per game and 3.0 assists per contest.

TCU is a perfect 7-0 this season when holding its opponent to under 40 percent from the field.

The Horned Frogs are led by Trent Johnson, now in his fourth campaign in Fort Worth. This season’s team is 10-11 overall, including 1-7 in Big 12 play (9-4 against non-conference foes).

It will mark the first of two regular-season meetings between OU and TCU this year. Oklahoma will travel to Fort Worth on March 5 (OU’s final game of regular season) to even out the series.

GAMEDAY STORYLINES
SCENE SETTER: No. 1/2 Oklahoma and TCU will match wits for the first time this season Tuesday night inside the Lloyd Noble Center at 7 p.m. CT. OU, which is 18-2 overall and tied atop the Big 12 standings at 6-2, is in its fifth season under head coach Lon Kruger. The Horned Frogs are 10-11 this season (1-7 Big 12) and are under the direction of Trent Johnson, who is in his fourth campaign in Fort Worth. Both teams are coming off of wins in the Big 12/SEC Challenge last Saturday.

SERVING TREYS: Oklahoma currently ranks first nationally in 3-point field goal percentage (.468) by hitting 226-483 of its shots from downtown. Oklahoma’s all-time record for 3-point field goal percentage in a campaign is .414 (1986-87). OU has connected on at least 10 treys in 14 games this year (a school record) and it’s 11.3 3-point makes per game ranks third nationally. OU’s starting five is averaging 49.5 percent from 3-point range (196-396).

STRONG ON BOTH ENDS: The Sooners rank in the nation’s top 15 in both scoring offense with 85.3 points per game (sixth) and scoring margin (+13.8, 15th) by holding opponents to just 71.6 points per contest. Oklahoma has scored at least 80 points in 14 of 20 contests this season. On the other end, OU leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage defense (.394).

BUDDY BUCKETS: Senior Buddy Hield is currently averaging 26.2 points per game, which ranks first in the Big 12 and second nationally (first among Power 5 Conferences). The reigning Big 12 Player of the Year has scored at least 20 points in 12 of the last 14 games and his 52.4 percent (87-166) shooting from downtown ranks second in the country. His 4.35 3FGM per game is tops in the nation. He has eight games of at least 30 points this season (same total as rest of Big 12 combined).

STEADFAST SOONERS: Oklahoma isn’t short on experience or leadership this season. OU’s quartet of Isaiah Cousins, Buddy Hield, Ryan Spangler and Jordan Woodard have each started every game (88 total) for OU the past three seasons, tallying 352 combined starts during that span. With the addition of Khadeem Lattin (20 starts), OU boasts a starting five with 399 combined career starts.

I just looked up the line. If I read it correctly, OU is between a 21 and 19.5 point favorite. That is a big line.

It will be nice for OU to win this one easily. I enjoy a good game but blow outs are nice too.

I just looked up the line. If I read it correctly, OU is between a 21 and 19.5 point favorite. That is a big line.

It will be nice for OU to win this one easily. I enjoy a good game but blow outs are nice too.

I'm ready for a blowout. I've had about as much excitement as I can stand for a while. My wife has, too. When the game against LSU was over, she looked at me and said, "I'm a nervous wreck! I hate close games like this!!!"

If OU wins by 20 or more tonight, she will be perfectly content with that, and so will I.

I would like to see a blowout to give our starters a rest. It also would be fun to watch James, Odomes, and Manyang get some extended minutes.

I love blowouts and only get frustrated when we give up some late points to make it appear closer than it was (even though I know it doesn't really matter). But this season I've been remarkably calm even in most of the tight games. I don't know if I just have that much faith in this team or what, but I've mostly been pretty confident late in games.

I'm ready for a blowout. I've had about as much excitement as I can stand for a while. My wife has, too. When the game against LSU was over, she looked at me and said, "I'm a nervous wreck! I hate close games like this!!!"

If OU wins by 20 or more tonight, she will be perfectly content with that, and so will I.

I know the feeling! It's good to have these games from time to time!

I do love a fair share of close games too! The excitement and uncertainty leads to an emotional roller coaster of awesome.... Or not so awesome...

See the KU game. Loss... But I couldn't be more proud of our guys for being able to do what they did to put that game together! I Will never forget that game!

Boomer! :OUbball-logo: :lon :buddy

Know it's not related...but Simmons has 17 pts 9 rb in first half vs au lsu up 38/31

Showing Buddy warming up about 10 minutes before game time. I didn't see one fan in the background.

Well, at least the pep band is there. Hope we play better than we did against them last year.

Woodard getting free throw practice so far. 5-5 from the line. 5-0 OU.

Know it's not related...but Simmons has 17 pts 9 rb in first half vs au lsu up 38/31

I bet he heard everyone saying he needed to be more assertive in the OU game. He could be a beast in the tourney

Back