Senior Day OU vs #22 TCU 2pm CST on ESPN+

I would disagree. I think if OU wins 3 games in the tourney I think they’ll be in. Not gonna happen though.

We are so far from the bubble, even three wins wouldn’t come close to getting us in. Our NET is not even in the range where you have a chance. But like you say, it’s all academic because we aren’t winning the games. Now that OSU won, our chances of even winning one are probably about one in five.

I would disagree. I think if OU wins 3 games in the tourney I think they’ll be in. Not gonna happen though.

You’re delusional if you think OU is getting in as an at-large. Winning the conference tourney is the only path to the NCAA tourney for OU and that’s not happening.

A few weeks ago, Bob P at SoonerScoop said Hill was expected back at that time. He’s been pretty plugged in.

Moser said he was going to let all of the “seniors” go through senior day because it doesn’t matter if they get a second one. But he wanted them to at least have one if any decided to move on from college.

I’m not saying Thune is definitely wrong, but I trust Bob P a lot more. 247 barely acts like the basketball program exists. Bob P at SS has covered the program extremely well for years now.

I’ll wait to hear what he has to say on transfers before I start getting upset or worried about anything.

This.

The info may end up being right on Hill and/or Sherfield but I'll wait for CoachTalk, Bob, Boulder, or even my method of tracking (etc) vs trusting basketball info from OUI (no offense to the originator of the news ITT).

OUI covers 1.5 topics (or whatever) semi-effectively: football recruiting (1) and football/team news (.5).

They're absolute pretenders when it comes to every other sport. James Hale was better at attempting to be more well-rounded back in his OUI days. Not kidding.

And saying that they expect more movement is a big DUH. Classic case of reporting nothing and then when something ends up happening, they'll act like they knew it all along. Yes, others could leave/transfer. Start with Noland. Cortes is on the transfer watch list. Etc. "Groves could stay or leave". Lol, yeah, of course.

Last edited:
Yes, I would count it against him if a guy who from all reports loves OU and has a year left to play departed to play elsewhere. We lost two guys last offseason who would have contributed this year; losing another this cycle would be concerning.

Can you name anybody off of the top of your head that played 5 complete seasons at the same school? There are very few circumstances where that is the right decision for the kid. In the transfer portal era, keeping a kid like Hill for two years after the coaching staff that recruited him left is nothing but a plus. There are so many things to rag on Moser for, so why would you pick something like this?

And don't even get me started on the silliness of you implying that this team needs somebody like Harkless. I'd love to have Gibson, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick Sherfield over him a million times over.

And don't even get me started on the silliness of you implying that this team needs somebody like Harkless. I'd love to have Gibson, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick Sherfield over him a million times over.

What's silly is that you and a few others have decided that Harkless was everything that was wrong with Sooner hoops last season. Every season has its player to be blamed later by some fans, and Harkless is that guy for 2022.

I used the terms "quality players" and "upper class contributors" to describe Harkless and Gibson, and I stand by them: I never said they were all-stars or player of the year candidates--I certainly never suggested that either would be a savior for this team. I said they were quality players and contributors with the kind of experience every team needs, and so they were.

If you think Harkless couldn't have helped this team, I don't know what to tell you. You need only look at his contributions as a Sooner--not your blurry recollections of him, but actual facts and figures--and this season at UNLV. He's far from a perfect player (but then neither are Gibson and Sherfield) but he's better than some guys who saw playing time for OU this season (Noland, to name just one). Had Noland transferred to UNLV and Harkless stuck around, there's no doubt in my mind we'd have been a better team. And in saying that, i don't mean to demean Noland--I haven't given up on him, though it may be he's given up on OU. We'll see.

Had Noland transferred to UNLV and Harkless stuck around, there's no doubt in my mind we'd have been a better team.

He's shooting 27.8% from 3, yet still chooses to shoot 5.4 of them a game. Same guy we saw last year. If you think that's what the team needs, then I don't know what to tell you.

He's shooting 27.8% from 3, yet still chooses to shoot 5.4 of them a game. Same guy we saw last year. If you think that's what the team needs, then I don't know what to tell you.

If you think one stat tells the tale of any player's value, then I don't know what to tell you.

Here are some of Harkless' other stats for you to consider:

Overall, he is shooting the same as Sherfield: 41%.

He's averaging 18 points per game, more than any Sooner player.

He averages five rebounds per game (more than all but two Sooners).

He's tied with OU's leader (Sherfield) in assists.

He averages 1.5 steals per game, which is more than any Sooner.

He's shooting 78% from the charity stripe, which would tie him for third on the Sooners, but...

He's attempted 199 free throws--that's more than double OU's leader in that category (Sherfield's 96).

He's made 156 free throws; OU's leader (Sherfield) has hit 83. Getting to the line was always a huge part of Harkless' game, and it clearly still is. And of course it brings the added bonus of saddling the other team with fouls, which OU certainly could have benefited from this season.

Even in the category that many focus on when criticizing Harkless--his turnovers--he is averaging roughly the same number per game as Sherfield (Harkless averages 2.6; Sherfield is at 2.3--both averages are the worst on their respective teams).

Even acknowledging that Harkless has played easier competition, I think it's readily apparent that Harkless could have helped this team this season.

So you really believe OU can become the first-ever NCAA At-Large team with:
1) 17 losses
2) Winning 28% of their conference games
3) Finishing one game over .500.

Since this is so far beyond realistic, let's just say that if we're somehow good enough to win 3 conference tournament games, we may as well win 4 so we can land a #12 seed in the Dance. If we're only good enough to win 2 or 3 conference tournament games, then we can land a high seed in the NIT.

I don't really care if he's putting up volume numbers in the Mountain West. OU lost 9 of the last 10 games he played in, and soon after he went down, OU went on a 4 game winning streak to almost make the tourney. I don't follow UNLV, but I'm confident that they have somebody who would be better off taking those 3s. This team has a lot of needs, but a Russell Westbrook without the elite athleticism isn't one of them.

If you think one stat tells the tale of any player's value, then I don't know what to tell you.

Overall, he is shooting the same as Sherfield: 41%.

He's averaging 18 points per game, more than any Sooner player.

He averages five rebounds per game (more than all but two Sooners).

He's tied with OU's leader (Sherfield) in assists.

He averages 1.5 steals per game, which is more than any Sooner.

He's shooting 78% from the charity stripe, which would tie him for third on the Sooners, but...

He's attempted 199 free throws--that's more than double OU's leader in that category (Sherfield's 96).

He's made 156 free throws; OU's leader (Sherfield) has hit 83. Getting to the line was always a huge part of Harkless' game, and it clearly still is. And of course it brings the added bonus of saddling the other team with fouls, which OU certainly could have benefited from this season.

Even in the category that many focus on when criticizing Harkless--his turnovers--he is averaging roughly the same number per game as Sherfield (Harkless averages 2.6; Sherfield is at 2.3--both averages are the worst on their respective teams).

Even acknowledging that Harkless has played easier competition, I think it's readily apparent that Harkless could have helped this team this season.

I think you won this round and you didn’t even get to defense (other than steals) where he is light years ahead of Noland or Sherfield…..actually every backcourt player on our team.

skyvue absolutely correct on everything he said regarding Harkless. He couldn't have been more accurate.

You know what though..... regarding the NCAA Tournament. If they beat Oklahoma State, Texas, and Kansas State I think there is a chance they get a bid.

That would be wins over Alabama (1 seed), Kansas State (2/3 seed), Kansas State (2/3 seed), Texas (2/3/4 seed), TCU (5/6 seed), Iowa State (7/8/9 seed), Florida (16-15 record), Seton Hall (who is 17-14), Oklahoma State (BUBBLE TEAM), Texas Tech (BUBBLE TEAM), and some other P5 wins against crap teams like Nebraska and Ole Miss.

Nothing surprises me with this team anymore... They can beat Alabama by 30, or lose to Sam Houston State... They get run out of the gym sometimes, and lose other games by 1 or 2 points against elite teams.

Last edited:
We are so far from the bubble, even three wins wouldn’t come close to getting us in. Our NET is not even in the range where you have a chance. But like you say, it’s all academic because we aren’t winning the games. Now that OSU won, our chances of even winning one are probably about one in five.

It would probably put OU top 40 in NET & top 12 in quad 1 wins.

So you really believe OU can become the first-ever NCAA At-Large team with:
1) 17 losses
2) Winning 28% of their conference games
3) Finishing one game over .500.

Since this is so far beyond realistic, let's just say that if we're somehow good enough to win 3 conference tournament games, we may as well win 4 so we can land a #12 seed in the Dance. If we're only good enough to win 2 or 3 conference tournament games, then we can land a high seed in the NIT.

Yes

You’re delusional if you think OU is getting in as an at-large. Winning the conference tourney is the only path to the NCAA tourney for OU and that’s not happening.

I don’t think they’re getting an at large. I think winning 3 conference tournament games gives them a good chance.

I hope we can play our way into the tournament by winning four games (and I also hope maybe our NET would go up enough with three wins).

But realistically, it will be interesting to see how a team with our resume is handled by the NIT selection committee. Will they want us to get to .500 even though it's not required?

Does someone have a link to a replay of the full game, not just highlights? My YouTube tv is set up to record all games but for some reason this one is 'unavailable'.

Does someone have a link to a replay of the full game, not just highlights? My YouTube tv is set up to record all games but for some reason this one is 'unavailable'.

This was on ESPN+, so I believe a replay should be available on that platform.

This was on ESPN+, so I believe a replay should be available on that platform.

Yes, it is. I watched the replay this morning. But maybe MSProud doesn't subscribe to ESPN Plus.

Back