OU vs Sam Houston 7pm CST on ESPN+

I'm not really in the mood to look at things positively tonight, but I'll offer just this much of an "on the other hand" observation:

OU was 28th in KenPom (that won't last) entering tonight's game, while Sam Houston was 160th. But we weren't the only Big 12 team that struggled: TCU was 16th and they had to rally for a one-point win over Arkansas Pine Bluff, who were ranked ... wait for it...361st. There were just three teams ranked lower than APB entering tonight's action.

Of course, TCU eked out the win while we bumbled our way to a loss, but it does show how early-season games can be kind of crazy. (I'm guessing TCU fans are only marginally happier than we are tonight.)

Fair. But I think the major concern is it looked like a worse version of last year's team. Players from last year looking like they regressed. It's one thing to lose to a small school when they just get hot. One guy from APB had 25. That's tough, and that's basketball. But OU found a way to blow a lead and lose to a team shooting 32% from the field. Very very similar to last year, except last year they looked better. I think fans don't need to overreact, but Moser and Co. needs to get this turned around very quickly. Kruger got OU basketball to a respectable position.

Maybe the worst passing team I have ever seen. Hill is terrible and shouldn't be starting.

Fair. But I think the major concern is it looked like a worse version of last year's team. Players from last year looking like they regressed. It's one thing to lose to a small school when they just get hot. One guy from APB had 25. That's tough, and that's basketball. But OU found a way to blow a lead and lose to a team shooting 32% from the field. Very very similar to last year, except last year they looked better. I think fans don't need to overreact, but Moser and Co. needs to get this turned around very quickly. Kruger got OU basketball to a respectable position.

I don't disagree. I said much of what you're saying earlier this in this thread. But Wilkerson scored basically the same percentage of his team's points (33%) as the APB guy did his team's points (35%). TCU's game was every bit as bad as ours, given the quality of our respective opponents. They just sneaked out with the win. If Wilkerson misses his final shot, we'd still be very upset, just as I can only imagine TCU fans are tonight. Happy to win but not happy about much else.

They shot 21 more shots than us. We shot 43 shots. So they shot 1.5x the number of shots we did. You don’t win games like that.

Lol what a joke. Hill was MIA. Headcase IMO. Noland also sucked but at least he got 5 boards so he did SOMETHING. Hill just stole minutes. Porter is playing the same retreads. Bam got 18 ppg last year... why is he sitting? So we can get more jacob groves minutes? Lol.

Trying not to overreact but i Porter is at a F-. If he misses the postseason again this year then fire him and hire some young guy

Last edited:
Lol what a joke. Hill is a bum. Headcase. Noland also sucked but at least he got 5 boards so he did SOMETHING. Hill just stole minutes. Porter is playing the same retreads. Bam got 18 ppg last year... why is he sitting? So we can get more jacob groves minutes? Lol.

Trying not to overreact but i Porter is at a F-. If he misses the postseason again this year then fire him and hire some young guy

Hill’s not the player he has been. Not sure what’s going on there but Godwin needed to take his minutes.

J Groves played fine. Not the reason we lost. He and Tanner overall looked fine. Outside of those two and Sherfield, we got literally nothing. Bam and Godwin should have played way more.

Lol what a joke. Hill is a bum. Headcase. Noland also sucked but at least he got 5 boards so he did SOMETHING. Hill just stole minutes. Porter is playing the same retreads. Bam got 18 ppg last year... why is he sitting? So we can get more jacob groves minutes? Lol.

Who cares if our coach is young or old? Moser is as energetic as anyone around. What good has that done? He and Venables (and yes, I know it’s early for Venables) seem like clones to me. Great with the media, always know how to fire people up and talk a good game, but none of that matters a bit when it comes to winning. I really want Moser to succeed, but he needs to make major progress this season or else it might get away from him.

Just finished watching the game. Defense was really good until the last 4 minutes. Offense is a joke....but what should we expect when you have "program" guys like Hill and Noland who give us nothing and play considerable minutes. I like Sherfield and J. Groves certainly has improved, but this team stinks right now. They can get better, but any optimism and/or momentum that Moser thought he had.....it's gone. The blueprint is already there after one game.....just get in our face and make us work....and you will eventually beat our ass. Until proven otherwise.....we are now K-State.

As I feared, Moser said after the game that Joe didn’t play more because he went with veterans who he trusts defensively. Absolutely incredible that you wouldn’t recognize that in that game, we needed to get more offense on the floor.

15+ year lurker attended OU from '90-'97.

Uh-oh. The team looked clueless. Is Porter the guy? I'm starting to wonder. Assistant coaches are dropping like flies and his 2nd season starts MUCH worse than his first. He had a pass last year. He needs to make hay this season.

Overreactions of the night from above:

-Moser needs to go.
-Moser is a fraud.
-Hill is a bum.

Who cares if our coach is young or old? Moser is as energetic as anyone around. What good has that done? He and Venables (and yes, I know it’s early for Venables) seem like clones to me. Great with the media, always know how to fire people up and talk a good game, but none of that matters a bit when it comes to winning. I really want Moser to succeed, but he needs to make major progress this season or else it might get away from him.

I do. Id want someone hungry and young. Just my preference

Moser can still pull this season out. But he has made a HUGE hole

Part about Bam doesn’t make sense because Uzan played down the stretch. Bee win that game if Bam plays 20 minutes

My thoughts from the first half were that we would win ugly. Turns out we lost ugly. Nothing good to take from that game. Hopefully this isn't what the season will look like.

I just finished watching the game. I feel like I just had a root canal. What an absolutely pathetic performance . Even if we had somehow managed to win it wouldn’t have changed how bad it was. I don’t know if Moser survives the season. We look exactly like we did last season. Bad shooting, pathetic rebounding, turnovers galore. How can we be this bad?

Jacob Groves should not be starting. How can Hill start and play that many minutes and not give you anything, literally nothing, offensively? Bijan is not Big 12 caliber. I don’t think Tanner can defend and rebound well enough for a starting Big 12 center. The list goes on and on. I need a hot shower to wash the stench of that game off. Joe C has to think long and hard about where we’re at here with this team.

I don't disagree. I said much of what you're saying earlier this in this thread. But Wilkerson scored basically the same percentage of his team's points (33%) as the APB guy did his team's points (35%). TCU's game was every bit as bad as ours, given the quality of our respective opponents. They just sneaked out with the win. If Wilkerson misses his final shot, we'd still be very upset, just as I can only imagine TCU fans are tonight. Happy to win but not happy about much else.

Good points.

I've been sick so I didn't finish the game. Turned it off 5-10 minutes into the second half.

That said, here is what I saw before I stopped watching:

- This team will go as the guards go. T. Groves will have some games, but we'll need Sherfield and 1-2 other true guards to have really good years for this team to amount to much.
- Godwin is already a better rebounder and probably defender than T. Groves.
- Speaking of rebounding, it was not good during the stretch I watched. The numbers didn't overly support it, but I saw a lot of weak attempts and standing around.
- Defense was pretty good. J. Groves appears to be moving better than he did last year.
- Hill is what he is. Too many around here keep wanting to make him into something he isn't. He is a guy that if the offensive system gets him open, can make a shot. He is NOT a guy you can throw the ball to and expect him to score on his own. Like, at all.
- You can see the potential in Bamisile and Uzan, but the game was moving way too quickly for both last night. A little wild and out of control.
- I really don't think we have the guys to run the Moser offense. That is an offense better suited for a bunch of lightly recruited guys with good offensive skills, limited athleticism, and no egos. I always questioned how effective it would be at a bigger school with "better" players.
- Funny how "off" many on this board were about who would start, play, etc.

It's just one game, but boy, there were some red flags. Doesn't get any easier with the next game. I'm not writing this team off to make the post-season, but the Big 12 will eat us alive if we don't figure some things out.

Forgot game was on…glad I did.

Looks like we got out scored 8-23 over the last ? Box says we led 43-29. Wow…

Just looking over the boxscore... we had 6 assists in the entire game! How is that possible?

Back