Porter Moser and 3P%

dahldennsull

Reaction score
Seeing all these communications with 3P shooters in the portal, was curious to go back and see how Moser's teams did at shooting the 3 compared to what we saw this year. Also wanted to include this year UCL to see how they changed after he left.

Screenshot-2022-04-04-115302.png

Interesting to see how high of 3P% efficiency he had every year for his teams. Even more surprising, that at much better shooting percent, they didn't focus on shooting the 3 like we did in year 1 at OU. Moser's last 4 years in Chicago, they averaged 310th in the country in 3P attempts, and as soon as he left they jumped up by 6 shots a game from 17.5 to 23.4.

We were Moser's highest attempt team in 5 years and his lowest making team in the same period. Optimists say, we still should have made the tourney without even playing Moser ball fully.

Seeing all these communications with 3P shooters in the portal, was curious to go back and see how Moser's teams did at shooting the 3 compared to what we saw this year. Also wanted to include this year UCL to see how they changed after he left.

Screenshot-2022-04-04-115302.png

Interesting to see how high of 3P% efficiency he had every year for his teams. Even more surprising, that at much better shooting percent, they didn't focus on shooting the 3 like we did in year 1 at OU. Moser's last 4 years in Chicago, they averaged 310th in the country in 3P attempts, and as soon as he left they jumped up by 6 shots a game from 17.5 to 23.4.

We were Moser's highest attempt team in 5 years and his lowest making team in the same period. Optimists say, we still should have made the tourney without even playing Moser ball fully.

3 pointers can be the great equalizer. At Loyola, Moser wasn't at an athletic disadvantage most nights, so they could work it inside, or let the offense work.

At OU, I'm not sure that will be the case. Defenses are tougher. Athleticism of the opposition is much greater. The 3 point shot, I think, will need to remain a big part of what we're doing.

I think it shows our lack of shot creators on offense, resulting in a lot of chunking it up from deep regardless of our shooting %

I think it shows our lack of shot creators on offense, resulting in a lot of chunking it up from deep regardless of our shooting %

That's not what I saw. We got a good amount of open threes this year, just didn't have enough guys that could regularly knock them down. Mo and T. Groves were about it. Harkless, Goldwire, and J. Groves were 3, 4, and 5 on the team in attempts, and they were all pitiful. Hill was next in line (tied with Noland, but he played more), and he was also terrible.

At some point you just have to have better shooters.

That's not what I saw. We got a good amount of open threes this year, just didn't have enough guys that could regularly knock them down. Mo and T. Groves were about it. Harkless, Goldwire, and J. Groves were 3, 4, and 5 on the team in attempts, and they were all pitiful. Hill was next in line (tied with Noland, but he played more), and he was also terrible.

At some point you just have to have better shooters.

one could easily argue though, with college scouting, we got open looks cause teams were happy to give them to us.

We showed potential with the last 7 games when we went 5-2 by shooting 41.4% from 3, but the previous 28 games: 33.0% which would have ranked 230th. It was definitely part of our opponents' gameplan.

To further show the streakiness, to open non-con we shot 36.1%, which is pretty good (54th, tied with KU). But once we started big 12 play, we were shooting 30.3% from deep prior to that 7 game stretch.

one could easily argue though, with college scouting, we got open looks cause teams were happy to give them to us.

We showed potential with the last 7 games when we went 5-2 by shooting 41.4% from 3, but the previous 28 games: 33.0% which would have ranked 230th. It was definitely part of our opponents' gameplan.

To further show the streakiness, to open non-con we shot 36.1%, which is pretty good (54th, tied with KU). But once we started big 12 play, we were shooting 30.3% from deep prior to that 7 game stretch.

is that also why OU got wide open 2's and shot one of the best 2points % in the country

Back