Possible transfer -- UCLA's Drew Gordon

Sooner23

Reaction score
Just announced today he's leaving the program. We recruited him out of high school, although I don't believe we ever received a visit. Pretty highly-recruited kid (Top 50 by Scout and Rivals) who was averaging 11 points, 5 boards and two blocks per game this year. UCLA's official site says he's 6-9, 230.

Probably a longshot, but since he's left early I believe he'd be eligible next year in the second semester. Was a sophomore this year. Wonder if Capel makes a run?

2008-09
Drew Gordon played in 34 of 35 games, missing the Bruins' first round game in the NCAA Tournament against VCU (Mar. 19) with a concussion ... he averaged 10.9 minutes per contest without making any starts ... he scored in 26 of 34 games, reaching double figures twice ... had at least one rebound in 32 of 34 games of the season (none in a home loss to #16 Arizona State on Jan. 17 in a season-low three minutes; and none in the win at California on Feb. 28 in six minutes) ... was tied for fourth on the team in rebounding at 3.4 rebounds per game ... was third on the squad in offensive rebounds with 45 on the year (1.3 per game) ... led the team and was one of nine Bruins that shot 50 percent or better from the field, connecting on 56.5 percent of his shots (52-for-92) from the field ... struggled from the free-throw line, shooting 50.0 percent (18-for-36) on the year ... completed the first double-double of his career with season-highs of 14 points and 11 rebounds in the home win over Wyoming (Dec. 23) ... scored his Pac-10 high of 11 points in the league-opening win at Oregon State (Jan. 2) ... was second on the team in dunks with 19 on the year ... was third on the team in blocks with 15 on the year (compared to eighth in minutes played) ... is seventh on the squad in steals with 18 ... registered a season-high-tying three steals with two points and one rebound in 11 minutes in the home win over Washington (Feb. 19) ... had six points and five rebounds with one block in 10 minutes in the win over Oregon (Mar. 7) ... had four points, two rebounds and a block shot while going 2-for-2 from the charity stripe and making his only field goal attempt in the Bruins' second-round loss to Villanova in the 2009 NCAA Tournament (Mar. 21).

HIGH SCHOOL
Gordon was a four-year varsity basketball letterwinner at Archbishop Mitty High School ... registered career highs of 29 points, 21 rebounds, 11 blocks shots (three times) and seven assists ... listed as the No. 15 power forward and the No. 42 overall prospect in the Class of 2008 by Rivals.com ... rated the No. 16 power forward and the No. 45 overall prospect in the Class of 2008 by Rivals.com ... was invited to play in the 2008 Jordan Brand Classic on April 19 at Madison Square Garden in New York ... named to the 2008 Long Beach Press-Telegram's Best in the West first team ... named the most valuable player of the 2007-08 Les Schwab Invitational ... was a three-time (2005-07) All-West Catholic Athletic League first team selection ... played in 11 games as a senior (2007-08), averaging 17.5 ppg and 10.5 rpg before being sidelined by an ankle injury; Archbishop Mitty lost in the state championship game ... as a junior, averaged 15.1 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.4 apg, 2.3 spg and 4.1 bpg, shooting 63.8 percent from the floor, 50.0 percent from 3-point range and 70.2 percent from the free-throw line ... helped lead Archbishop Mitty to a 29-6 record, a No. 9 ranking in the West Region by USA Today and to the state championship game ... named the 2007 San Jose Mercury News Player of the Year ... earned 2007 EA Sports second-team All-America honors ... tabbed the 2007 Cal-Hi Sports Athlete of the Year in addition to being named a 2007 All-California State first-team selection ... as a sophomore in 2005-06, averaged 14.7 ppg, 10.1 rpg, 1.7 apg, 2.4 spg and 3.9 bpg as Archbishop Mitty finished the season with a 29-7 record and third-place finish in the state tournament ... named the 2006 Cal State Sophomore Player of the Year, All-CIF third team, All-Northern California first team, All-CCS first team and All-WCAL first team selection in 2005-06 ... also named to the 2006 Pangos All-American Camp top-20 "Cream of the Crop" ... as a freshman in 2004-05, averaged 9.5 ppg, 9.2 rpg, 1.0 apg, 3.0 spg and 4.5 bpg ... named a 2005 Freshman All-America selection in addition to earning CIF Central Coast Section (CCS) Freshman of the Year honors; All-WCAL first-team selection and All-CCS second-team honoree in 2004-05 ... has competed for the AAU Oakland Soldiers since 2003 ... attended the 2005 and 2006 ABCD Camps and ranked among the top 10 both years.

USA BASKETBALL
Was a Member of the 2007 USA Basketball Men's Youth Development Festival Red Team that finished with a 5-0 record and the gold medal ... started in three of five games played, averaging 10.0 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.2 spg and 1.4 bpg ... among 2007 Festival participants, ranked fourth in blocks per game, eighth in rebounding average and 21st in scoring average ... accepted an invitation to attend the 2007 and 2009 USA Basketball U19 World Championship Team Trials but was injured both times and was unable to compete ... named a finalist for the 2006 USA Basketball Men's U18 National Team on June 18, 2006; was the only member of the class of 2008 at the USA U18 National Team Trials.

PERSONAL
Full name: Drew Edward Gordon ... he is right-handed ... born in San Jose, Calif., on July 12, 1990 ... his parents are Ed Gordon and Shelly Davis ... his mother also attended UCLA ... has a younger brother, Aaron (14) and a younger sister, Elisabeth (17) ... lists playing in the Nike Hoop Summit on the USA squad against the World Select Team in Portland's Rose Garden as his biggest athletic thrill ... lists competing as a thrower in track and field as things he likes to do ... majoring in business economics.

Last edited:
Went to school with current Sooners Danielle Robinson and Kelani Ricketts.

I believe he was Robinson's boyfriend. Would love to have him. I don't know if the Pac 10 has a rule against transfering in conference, but if they do, OU would be a legit contender in being one of the schools closest to the west.

When would he be eligible?

23--

I taught you were going to title the THREAD...What is wrong with UCLA?

Drew is a beast.
Do you know who were the two school battling for DG recruitment, out of HS?

It was a bloodly recruiting battle.

Ever hear of the WOODmuda Triangle?

23--

I taught you were going to title the THREAD...What is wrong with UCLA?

Drew is a beast.
Do you know who were the two school battling for DG recruitment, out of HS?

It was a bloodly recruiting battle.

Ever hear of the WOODmuda Triangle?

So are you saying Memphis is in play? Ole Josh Pastner will recruit circles around Booker Richardson.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7BcJbnL3Dw&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvNVS7dBvDs[/ame]

Drew Gordon never visited Memphis....

Josh is a recruiter that specializes in Guards.

I'm just saying...S.Cal is blowing up with the transfer news.
The world is falling for ucla....type news.

Also , hearing that BEN was completely SHOCKED by the news of Gordon.

Arizona was in the final two in Gordon recruitment decision.

Miller is on the phone….

I’m just saying.

Note:
It is hard to see a fellow S.Cal player on TV and having good success. D.Will and S.Hill are getting alot of PR in S.Cal. Big Time HYPE.

Are there such things as transfer restrictions. If so, those maybe a none issue.

Geeze. Looks like a talented kid.

Sure hope we get a look from him.

Just looked at an old Rivals article that said Washington, Cal, Arizona and Duke were in his top five (along with UCLA) at the end. Doubt he'll go to the first three due to the intra-conference transfer rules.

That would be great if Miller was on the phone. Nothing like piling on more NCAA violations at 'Zona. You can't contact a player that is still at a school. Mizzou was investigated heavily when they got a transfer out of VMI. The player has to initiate the contact.

Tonight will be BIG for Drew Gordon.

Miller will make his push, tonight.

And he will follow the same thing he did with Daniel Bejarano.

The WEST is buzzing BIG TIME.
ucla fans - the world is falling apart.

Wait until Drew gives an interview as to WHY he Transferred...

Stay tune.....

Miller is not on the phone. He can't call a player who is on another team.
And I'm doubting Gordon would sacrifice another year of eligibility by transferring within the conference.

Some info on his transfer.........

Drew Gordon leaves UCLA
By Jon Wilner

jwilner@mercurynews.com
Posted: 12/01/2009 06:54:53 PM PST
Updated: 12/01/2009 08:37:53 PM PST

Former Archbishop Mitty star Drew Gordon has left the UCLA basketball team just six games into his sophomore year.

Gordon, the highest-profile prospect to come out of the South Bay in decades, hopes to transfer to a team that better suits his style.

A natural power forward, the 6-foot-9 Gordon had been playing center for the struggling Bruins.

"The UCLA system is very methodical, and Drew is better as a transition player," said Gordon's mother, Shelly. "When you spend that much time and effort on something, you have to feel some gratification.

"We wanted to make the change now rather than wait and hope the situation gets better. The timing is terrible: It looks like he's leaving because they lost a bunch of games. But that's not what happened."

Gordon informed UCLA coach Ben Howland of his decision Tuesday morning — two days after he had two points and one rebound in a loss to Long Beach State. But Gordon had been considering a transfer for weeks.

"After several discussions with Drew, we both have decided that it is in the best interests of our program and Drew that he continues his career at another school," Howland said in a prepared statement released by UCLA.

Howland and Gordon declined to comment for this story.

Shelly Gordon said numerous teams have expressed interest — "We would like him to be west of the Mississippi" — but declined to get specific.

Gordon will leave school after
Quantcast
the fall academic quarter. Assuming he transfers in time for the winter term, he would sit out for an academic year, per NCAA rules, and play next December.

If Gordon attends a school outside the Pac-10, he would have 21/2 years of eligibility remaining.

If he attends a school within the conference, he would have 11/2 years left and wouldn't receive financial aid during the 12-month period of inactivity.

"The decision to go to UCLA was based on it being a great university and Drew having family down there," Shelly Gordon said. "Now, we'll be making a basketball decision."

Gordon was one of the top front-court prospects in the nation as a senior at Mitty and had scholarship offers from Washington, Arizona and Cal.

He averaged just 11 minutes per game as a UCLA freshman but started the first six games this season. Much like his team, Gordon struggled on both ends of the court. He also had occasional differences with Howland.

The demanding coach and the emotional, outspoken player were an odd match from the start. During an interview last month, Gordon said they have had several "heart to hearts" and that "it's good to work things out behind closed doors."

Apparently, they didn't work everything out.

"I don't think Drew will ever be the person the coach wants him to be, and I don't think Coach Howland will ever be the person Drew wants him to be," Shelly Gordon said.

"There's a mismatch there."

Looks like a good potential match to me. I hope he has an interest in OU.

Not sure if there is anything past wishful thinking at this point with this kid but I think this could positive if we do get involved.
"The UCLA system is very methodical, and Drew is better as a transition player,"
Show some highlights of Blake running the court last year or TMG's quickness at getting up court this year and I think he would like Oklahoma.

He would be a great get as well, a kid with D-1 experience who would be ready for conference season next year? I like the sound of it, hope this turns out to be more than message board hopes.

Back