Rank the Big XII Coaches

DenverSooner

Reaction score
1. Bill Self
2. Rick Barnes (only based on recruiting)
3. Frank Martin (he must be doing something wright)
4. Mike Anderson
5. Turgeon
6. Scott Drew
12. ISU ???

Capel < or > Ford? Capel < or > Bzdillic? Capel< or > Pat Knight?
Caple < or > Doc

I don't know the answer to complete this. I think Capel is better than Ford, worse than Do, worse than Bzdillic and better than Pat Knight.

You have Barnes 2nd with the season they have had? Coaching is X&O and recruiting. I'd move him a lot lower and Ford higher. Both are tied at 6-5 with a world of difference in talent. Capel should be only higher than the Istate coach this year. He's done less with more.

1. Jeff Capel - Oklahoma

2. Bill Self - Kansas
3. Jeff Bzdelik - Colorado
4. Pat Knight - Texas Tech
5. Mike Anderson - Missouri
6. Mark Turgeon - Texas A&M
7. Scott Drew - Baylor
8. Frank Martin - Kansas State
9. Doc Sadler - Nebraska
10 Greg McDermont - Iowa State

12 Rick Barnes - Texas
12 Travis Ford - OSU

:)

1. Bill Self
2. Rick Barnes
3. Frank Martin
4. Mark Turgeon
5. Mike Anderson
6. Scott Drew
7. Travis Ford
8. Jeff Bzdelik
9. Jeff Capel
10. Pat Knight
11. Doc Sadler
12. Greg McDermott

I think it is hard to say Capel in 9 when he is coming off of an elite eight appearance. I hope our memories aren't that short term.

I think it is hard to say Capel in 9 when he is coming off of an elite eight appearance. I hope our memories aren't that short term.

Who would you put him ahead of right now?

Its hard to rank them, but its for certain that Barnes isn't the 2nd best coach in the Big 12.

Since when did an elite 8 with the 2nd best player in the history of the program become the measuring stick for a good coach? A guy named Quin Snyder went to the Elite 8. Didnt Steve Lavin go to an elite 8?

Its a fine accomplishment, sure, but its not exactly the measuring stick for great coaches. OU might finish under .500 this season, which is way bigger news than an Elite 8 in my opinion.

I guess it just depends on what you think weighs more.. Two seasons with no post-season appearance and one average at best season, or one season (out of 4) where he went to the elite 8 with the second best player in the history of the program.

You decide.

Its hard to rank them, but its for certain that Barnes isn't the 2nd best coach in the Big 12.

He certainly has proven to be over time. Texas is by far the 2nd best program in the Big 12. And he's the coach. And they weren't when he got the gig.

Scott Drew, Travis Ford, and Jeff Bzdelik

Do you not think OU goes to the Elite 8 last year with any of those coaches?
I do.

I certainly think you could make an argument about Capel ahead of Ford and Bzdelik. I struggled with where to place those 3. I don't see how anyone could say Capel has done a better job than Scott Drew. And I can't stand Scott Drew.

Jeff Bzdelik is a very good basketball coaching doing a pretty good job in a very difficult situation. He is changing the culture at CU, I really think he is, and thats impressive.

They are getting better, he is bringing in better players, he did a great job this offseason trying to gather fan support and that has gotten much better....

They are the second youngest team in the Big 12, they have one senior on roster. They lost their starting point guard (who Bzdelik was just as excited with as Alec Burks, and who might have been the best athlete at point guard in the conference) before the year started.

CU lost 11 games last year by 4 points a game, and they have had several conference heart-breakers already this year with a really young team.

I think Bzdelik is a very good coach... I would rank him up there with Mike Anderson, Frank Martin, and Mark Turgeon. He is just in a different situation. He isnt on the same level as Bill Self because that guy is a big time winner wherever he goes. If Bill Self went to Alcorn State they would probably win their conference next year after going 1-23 this year, lol.

Do you not think OU goes to the Elite 8 last year with any of those coaches?
I do.

Yeah but none of those coaches recruited BG or WWIII to get us there. You can't remove the players a coach gets from how well he does. If you want to play that game I think Barnes drops really far. I think a lot of coaches wouldn't have had the early tournament exits that Self's teams had suffered from, etc... You get credit as a coach for how well your team performs whether or not you have good players. Blake may not stick around for 2 seasons without Capel, WWII may not come here and all of a sudden you have a team no better than this years. Sorry, you can't say the coach doesn't deserve credit for how his team performs in his third season.

Back