Rank the Big XII Coaches

This subject is above your area.

First off, I'm not lost that he averaged both 14 points and 9 rebounds a game. I've stated that, what, 100 times on this thread? That is an impressive stat that not too many have done simultaneously, there's no denying it... But what you fail to understand (and this is critical) is that just because he is great at rebounding, does not make him an OUTSTANDING player. Very good player, yes... But if he was so outstanding, why wasn't he among the Top 100 scorers? And don't give me your reaching excuse about other players in the same competition... If he was outstanding like you claim, he would be up there regardless of who the other players played against. Plenty of guys on that list played against tough competition and were proven to be better scorers. Griffin just wasn't one of them.

And your minutes case is irrelevant... Players like Luke Harangody and Damion James, among others, have posted the same stats and have played just as many if not more minutes. Wayne Simien played only 24 minutes for the '03 KU squad and basically had the exact same stats. So you're minutes theory is paltry at best.

There's no stubborness going on... I admit when I am wrong. I think you need to do yourself a favor and stop being in denial. Averaging 14 and 9 is an impressive stat and proves he is very good, but that's not outstanding, as I've proven earlier. Its not my problem you don't grasp the difference between a very good player and an outstanding player.... If you would stop being naive in this situation and realize that a rare stat does not make you outstanding, then we can be on the same page.

LOL, yeah I'm naive, but you're the one saying he is "impressive but not outstanding".

Again, I ask you the question? It's not outstanding to be one of 12 players averaging 14 points and 9 rebounds a game? You are focused too much on the fact that the numbers don't seem that outstanding when they really are based on what everyone is doing. I would agree that in the NBA that wouldn't be outstanding but in the college game it is. Most everyone would agree that Cole Aldrich was outstanding last year and he averaged 14 and 11.

And I find it funny that you can only find a few examples of players who have exceeded that production. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT! Yes, Harongody and Beasley produced at a higher level and that's why they were All Americans. My point is that AA's aren't the only ones who have outstanding seasons. To make 1st team All Conference in a major conference means you had an outstanding season. To make AA is really an incredibly special achievement. You pointing out that BG wasn't an AA doesn't mean he didn't have an outstanding season, only that there is another level beyond (again only occupied by 6 or 7 people!).

Again, you may not call that outstanding but almost everyone else would. We can quibble over words all you want but the evidence is on my side and so would be the majority of opinion.

Last edited:
I think you guys should agree that you don't have the same definition of outstanding.:eddie187_jpg_xs:

Agreed. IMO, an outstanding player for a big man is someone that puts up close to or around the same amount of rebounds as Griffin, and more points. Griffin his sophomore year was outstanding. I just don't think a 14 and 9 (or stats similar to that) player is an OUTSTANDING player.

LOL, yeah I'm naive, but you're the one saying he is "impressive but not outstanding".

No, the only thing that is funny is the fact that you can't differentiate what I am saying. I said his statistic of being 1 of the only few players to average over 14 and 9 was "an impressive stat". That does not mean he was an outstanding player. Big difference. Besides, you're treating impressive and outstanding like they are synonyms, when they are different entities. If you can't differentiate those two, or what I said for that matter instead of putting words into my mouth, then you seriously are wasting my time.

Again, I ask you the question? It's not outstanding to be one of 12 players averaging 14 points and 9 rebounds a game? You are focused too much on the fact that the numbers don't seem that outstanding when they really are based on what everyone is doing. I would agree that in the NBA that wouldn't be outstanding but in the college game it is. Most everyone would agree that Cole Aldrich was outstanding last year and he averaged 14 and 11.

Cole Aldrich isn't germane to your argument. He was outstanding because along with averaging 14 and 11 he was a great defensive player, something BG was not his freshman year. BG for his position didn't even average over a block per game. Aldrich was amazing blocking and altering shots, as he averaged 2.7. And Aldrich was a fantastic on-ball defender, something, again, BG was not.
And the NBA has nothing to do with my reasoning. If you aren't a great defender, then putting up 14 and 9 does not make you an outstanding player.

And I find it funny that you can only find a few examples of players who have exceeded that production. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT! Yes, Harongody and Beasley produced at a higher level and that's why they were All Americans. My point is that AA's aren't the only ones who have outstanding seasons. To make 1st team All Conference in a major conference means you had an outstanding season. To make AA is really an incredibly special achievement. You pointing out that BG wasn't an AA doesn't mean he didn't have an outstanding season, only that there is another level beyond (again only occupied by 6 or 7 people!).

So basically according to you, there are certain levels of outstanding. What level does BG fall on, since the other outstanding players I named, Griffin's stats weren't near as close from a scoring perspective? I didn't know there was a chart for outstanding players. I didn't know being an outstanding basketball player and excelling on the court was that complicated. Last time I checked 14 ppg isn't an incredible number. You're outstanding levels theory, while perplexing, is interesting.

And I stated before, which was the point of disagreement, was that I don't consider a player automatically outstanding if he was named All Conference. That is where our points differ. To be outstanding, you need to be above the rest. Griffin was very good, was all conference, but that does not make him an outstanding player IMO. Putting up all american type numbers or being a great impact on defense while putting up very good numbers (Aldrich, Hasheem Thabeet, for example) is an outstanding player. Not 14 and 9 without the great defense.

And I find it funny that you believe your point was validated, despite the fact that I gave you Wayne Simien who played less, wasn't an All American in '03 but put up the same numbers. Richard Hendrix put up 17 and 10 while playing the same amount of minutes. He wasn't an All American either. And you never mentioned my question about Damion James, either. I'll give you credit, you're good at dodging questions relative to the argument. As far as answering your accusation that I could only find a few examples, I apologize that I don't feel like spending time until 4 A.M. trying to research EACH AND EVERY example included in my argument. But I feel those 4 aforementioned names prove enough for my case, which they do.

Again, you may not call that outstanding but almost everyone else would. We can quibble over words all you want but the evidence is on my side and so would be the majority of opinion.

That's funny, I didn't know when posters sided with me on this thread that that constitues "the majority of opinion" that took your side. Interesting.

And its impossible for evidence to be on your side, when I've given ample amounts of evidence that validates my point. But think what you want, even though your belief is sorely misplaced.

Basically what this boils down to is that if you consider an All Conference player a guaranteed outstanding player. I don't. Outstanding is a special and delicate word to use, and there usually aren't many of them each year in college basketball. You're one of the only few people that has disagreed with me on that, as the rest of the posters have either sided with me or didn't disagree. I think that proves enough for my case that my view is legitimate. But again, think what you want. I won't waste any more time trying to help you out otherwise.

Last edited:
Let's take a poll...if you asked Blake Griffin if Coach Capel helped him develop into the number 1 overall pick...what do you think he would say?

Come on now.

I can tell you exactly what he said because he told me numerous times that Capel helped him tremendously. That wasn't just player speak either, he gives Capel a ton of credit for helping him develop into the player he is today!

I can tell you exactly what he said because he told me numerous times that Capel helped him tremendously. That wasn't just player speak either, he gives Capel a ton of credit for helping him develop into the player he is today!

This.

1. Bill Self
2. Mike Anderson
3. Rick Barnes
4. Mark Turgeon
5. Travis Ford
6. Scott Drew
7. Frank Martin
8. Jeff Capel
9. Jeff Bzdelik
10. Pat Knight
11. Doc Sadler
12. Greg McDermott

Stoops4Pres,

I think you're simply nitpicking. Yeah, he wasn't a great defensive player but that doesn't keep him from being an outstanding player. Dirk Nowitski is a below average defender but that doesn't mean he isn't an outstanding player.

I think you think outstanding means one of the 5 best players or something. Maybe it does, but not in my mind. You don't seem to understand context in terms of the numbers and the type of season he had. You wouldn't consider .285 to be an outstanding batting average but in 1968 that was good for 4th in the Major Leagues. Within the context of baseball at that time it was an outstanding season.

I guess maybe I am saying that Griffin had an outstanding season when you look at what he accomplished. I would think that makes him an outstanding player but if you differ I guess that's ok.

What is hilarious is that a KU fan is defending Griffin while a Sooner fan is nitpicking him to death. Is that ironic or what?

Current averages of people who have posted so far:

Average Coach
1 Bill Self
3 Rick Barnes
4 Mike Anderson
4 Mark Turgeon
5 Frank Martin
6 Scott Drew
7 Travis Ford
7 Jeff Bzdelik
8 Jeff Capel III
9 Pat Knight
10 Doc Sadler
11 Greg McDermott

Current averages of people who have posted so far:

Average Coach
1 Bill Self
3 Rick Barnes
4 Mike Anderson
4 Mark Turgeon
5 Frank Martin
6 Scott Drew
7 Travis Ford
7 Jeff Bzdelik
8 Jeff Capel III
9 Pat Knight
10 Doc Sadler
11 Greg McDermott

Swap Anderson and Martin, and you probably have my list.

Oh, and move Self down below Capel.

Swap Anderson and Martin, and you probably have my list.

Oh, and move Self down below Capel.

Are you serious about Self? Hasn't he won everywhere, ORU, Tulsa, Ill. now KU? I am not a KU fan but I think Self has a pretty good record.

What is hilarious is that a KU fan is defending Griffin while a Sooner fan is nitpicking him to death. Is that ironic or what?

I think most OU fans would say Blake was outstanding from day one. This particular guy seems to want to prove to me (and you and Jeff) that Coach Capel did a great job with Blake. However, he lacks the intellect to read that I have said numerous times Coach Capel did a great job with Blake or that neither you nor Jeff has remotely suggested Coach Capel did not do a great job with Blake.

Stoops4Pres,

I think you're simply nitpicking. Yeah, he wasn't a great defensive player but that doesn't keep him from being an outstanding player. Dirk Nowitski is a below average defender but that doesn't mean he isn't an outstanding player.

I think you think outstanding means one of the 5 best players or something. Maybe it does, but not in my mind. You don't seem to understand context in terms of the numbers and the type of season he had. You wouldn't consider .285 to be an outstanding batting average but in 1968 that was good for 4th in the Major Leagues. Within the context of baseball at that time it was an outstanding season.

I guess maybe I am saying that Griffin had an outstanding season when you look at what he accomplished. I would think that makes him an outstanding player but if you differ I guess that's ok.

Right on, grace.

The other thing that he seems to be ignoring, in terms of context, is that Blake put up these incredible/outstanding numbers as a freaking true freshman.

Given his position, that is even more impressive.

It's one thing to be a Kevin Durant.... just making tons of jump shots... but to be a true freshman, battling down low with the strongest players in college basketball is outstanding.

I have said numerous times Coach Capel did a great job with Blake or that neither you nor Jeff has remotely suggested Coach Capel did not do a great job with Blake.

Exactly.

I think most OU fans would say Blake was outstanding from day one. This particular guy seems to want to prove to me (and you and Jeff) that Coach Capel did a great job with Blake. However, he lacks the intellect to read that I have said numerous times Coach Capel did a great job with Blake or that neither you nor Jeff has remotely suggested Coach Capel did not do a great job with Blake.

Totally agree, the fact that he was outstanding from day one doesn't mean that he didn't develop. He went from being a lotto pick to the unanimous #1 pick in the draft. That is a HUGE leap in one year, though most people don't realize it.

Back