Rank the Big XII Coaches

You could make arguments in a lot of cases, just depends on how you want to spin it. While I personally think M. Anderson is a good coach, he's sure getting credit for it...

-Similar record to Capel
-Both have E8 app.
-Capel is one up I believe in Tourney app.
-Capel has a better conf. record

If you run it down, similar stats. Yet, for some...MA is 5 rungs ahead?

Its more of a who has the hot hand, so hard for some to pick Capel right now. Plus he gets penalized for having Blake, in these instances.

if Sampson had left 3 weeks earlier, I'm guessing Mike Anderson would the be coach of OU right now

Last edited by a moderator:
He certainly has proven to be over time. Texas is by far the 2nd best program in the Big 12. And he's the coach. And they weren't when he got the gig.

From my understanding, this isn't a ranking for "over time." If it is, then you need to bump Capel back up a few notches compared to the coaches ahead of him.

Just because he has been the 2nd best over the long haul does not make him the 2nd best coach at this moment in time. You think that any coach would be doing just as good or worse with this Texas squad then Barnes? You applied that same logic with Capel last year. And I think a few other coaches with the amount of talent and experience Texas has wouldn't have this Texas team tied for 6th place in the Big 12.

And its not like his program has always been the 2nd best, either. If you were to rank the best programs from when Barnes took over Texas to when KS and Eddie left, you could make a compelling argument that OU and Ok State were better programs, therefore texas was not definitively the 2nd best. Only those 2 defections did that truly allow Barnes to elevate the program into the 2nd best.

Over the long haul, Barnes has had the 2nd best program compared to the current coaches. But at this current time, he's proving he's not the 2nd best coach with this season, or last season for that matter. He's a very good coach, but not the 2nd best in the league.

Last edited:
You can't remove the players a coach gets from how well he does. If you want to play that game I think Barnes drops really far.

Exactly. You can't apply a certain formula for one coach, but not apply that same previously used formula for another coach.

To me from what I took of this thread when it said "Rank the Big 12 Coaches" was the best coach is what he gets out of his players. Barnes isn't the 2nd best X's and O's/getting the most out of your players coach in the league IMO. If you go by total package with coaching combined with recruiting, I would say Barnes is the 2nd best. However, I think its fair to point out that with the resources texas has, getting the in-state guys to come to Texas that allowed Barnes to get the Kevin Durants and Bradleys of the world (i.e. T.J. Ford, Daniel Gibson, LaMarcus Aldridge) isn't too much of an accomplishment from a recruiting standpoint. I think quite a bit of coaches could have pulled that off as well. All in all, in terms of in-game coaching, Barnes is not the 2nd best.

I think Barnes is a very good coach, just not the 2nd best in the business as some are claiming him to be. I think Anderson is a better coach then Barnes. And right now Martin has been better as well. Will Martin be better the next couple of seasons? Should be interesting to see.

Last edited:
Are you kidding... who knows how low he would be without Blake. Blake has moved him up 4-6 spots.

Yes, who knows. But he did get Blake, so you can't take that away.

My point was in rankings like these people will discredit the accomplishments and chalk it up to..."he had the best player so they should've done that". A lot of these coaches would look a lot different if we take away the top talent. At some point, you have to get credit for bringing them in and developing. Not easy going deep in the tourney.

On a side note, there are a lot of teams like the following over the years, but its amazing that a team like this:

Antwan Jamison, Vince Carter, Ed Cota, Shammond Williams, Makhtar Ndiaye & Brendan Haywood

Couldn't even play for it all...

Jeff Bzdelik is a very good basketball coaching doing a pretty good job in a very difficult situation. He is changing the culture at CU, I really think he is, and thats impressive.

They are getting better, he is bringing in better players, he did a great job this offseason trying to gather fan support and that has gotten much better....

They are the second youngest team in the Big 12, they have one senior on roster. They lost their starting point guard (who Bzdelik was just as excited with as Alec Burks, and who might have been the best athlete at point guard in the conference) before the year started.

CU lost 11 games last year by 4 points a game, and they have had several conference heart-breakers already this year with a really young team.

I think Bzdelik is a very good coach... I would rank him up there with Mike Anderson, Frank Martin, and Mark Turgeon. He is just in a different situation. He isnt on the same level as Bill Self because that guy is a big time winner wherever he goes. If Bill Self went to Alcorn State they would probably win their conference next year after going 1-23 this year, lol.

This is a great post. I think Bzdelik will get the CU program running. And you're right about Self. Dude does nothing but win.

1. Drew
2. Self
3. Anderson
4. Turgeon
5. Martin
6. Ford
7. Capel
8. Bzedelik
9. Barnes
10. Sadler
11. Knight
12. McDermott

Coaches 10-12 are history; don't see how they survive. Knight and Sadler probably get one more year.

Yeah but none of those coaches recruited BG or WWIII to get us there.

Yes, but let's not act as if landing Blake Griffin, which led to landing Warren, was some huge mountain-moving effort.

Blake Griffin grew up and was living in OU's back yard... and his brother was already there as a key contributor to the team.

It's not as if Capel flew in and snached him out of California or Florida or something.

You could make arguments in a lot of cases, just depends on how you want to spin it. While I personally think M. Anderson is a good coach, he's sure getting credit for it...

-Similar record to Capel
-Both have E8 app.
-Capel is one up I believe in Tourney app.
-Capel has a better conf. record

If you run it down, similar stats. Yet, for some...MA is 5 rungs ahead?

Its more of a who has the hot hand, so hard for some to pick Capel right now. Plus he gets penalized for having Blake, in these instances.

There would be a moving fan parked in front of his house if he did not have Blake Griffin. I am not sure how is penalized for having Blake. He got a raise and still has a job.

I'd probably put Self around 6th or 7th. Other than that, I agree with most everybody's list.

I really like to see what the KU, Baylor and OSU people think. They should not be too biased. DFW might put Drew No. 1 (like he did) but then look at the rest of his ranking. The OSU guys might but Ford a little too high but then look at the rest of their rankings.

There is a lot of truth to the comment about whoever is having a good season but this will be the second completely unacceptable season at OU for Jeff Capel and his second season wasn't all that great - it will work but he was one game above .500 in the Big XII.

It's a funny thing about Blake Griffin. When he was a freshman, several on here were blasting him for being lazy, having a bad attitude, not playing defense, etc. Now, all they can seem to remember is how great of a player he was. It's even been mentioned they need to build a statue of him! It's strange how much difference a year makes.

It won't shock me if the same thing happens to Tiny, Pledger, and perhaps others as well.

It's a funny thing about Blake Griffin. When he was a freshman, several on here were blasting him for being lazy, having a bad attitude, not playing defense, etc. Now, all they can seem to remember is how great of a player he was. It's even been mentioned they need to build a statue of him! It's strange how much difference a year makes.

It won't shock me if the same thing happens to Tiny, Pledger, and perhaps others as well.

Specifically who? I sure as heck wasn't. He was or was darn near a double double player. He tried to back down the guy at A&M then took the ball back out and exploded by him for one of his best dunks of his career as a freshman. Blake was awesome as a freshman (not as good as a sophomore but freaking awesome).

Texas is by far the 2nd best program in the Big 12.
By far?

Since inception of Big 12
Texas
Big 12 Record: 144-62 (.700)
Overall Record: 319-134 (.704)
Big 12 Regular Season Titles: 3
Big 12 Tournament Titles: 0
Elite 8's: 2
Final Four's 1
Head to Head with Oklahoma: 15-17

Oklahoma
Big 12 Record: 140-168 (.67)
Overall Record: 325-133 (.710)
Big 12 Regular Season Titles: 1
Big 12 Tournament Titles: 3
Elite 8's: 2
Final Four's: 1
Head to Head with Texas: 17-15

Clearly, that's "by far."

(sweeping statements won't be overlooked)

Last edited:
Specifically who? I sure as heck wasn't. He was or was darn near a double double player. He tried to back down the guy at A&M then took the ball back out and exploded by him for one of his best dunks of his career as a freshman. Blake was awesome as a freshman (not as good as a sophomore but freaking awesome).

There were plenty of people who criticized Blake during his freshman year. Just because you might not have been one of them doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I really like to see what the KU, Baylor and OSU people think. They should not be too biased. DFW might put Drew No. 1 (like he did) but then look at the rest of his ranking. The OSU guys might but Ford a little too high but then look at the rest of their rankings.

There is a lot of truth to the comment about whoever is having a good season but this will be the second completely unacceptable season at OU for Jeff Capel and his second season wasn't all that great - it will work but he was one game above .500 in the Big XII.

Well clearly Bill Self is #1. Probably because he's an OSU alum. ;)

Then you have Barnes, Anderson, Turgeon and (can't believe I'm saying this) Martin who are doing really good jobs.

DFW will come after me on this, but I'm still not sure what to make of Scott Drew. I felt like he did a horrible job last year, but I think he's doing a pretty good job this year.

Then you have the cases of Travis Ford and Jeff Capel.

I think Capel has done a pretty good job to date, but it's hard to get a read on what to make of him this year. As has been discussed ad nauseum, sometimes the wheels can just come off for good coaches and good programs in a given year. Look at UNC.

The question that will linger out there will be is this year going to be the exception or the rule? Next year will go a long way to answering that question. If you're an OU fan there is both some good and bad to take away from how Capel has handled things to date.

You have to be concerned about the discipline issues and the effort displayed by some players... a lot of that is coaching.

But you have seen flashes of what this group of players is capable of when he does get them all going in the same direction.

I do think that Travis Ford is doing a pretty good job. If we end up making the tournament this year, I'm willing to upgrade him to doing a "very" good job. I think Ford deserves kudos for this season for keeping this team in the NCAA hunt despite losing our starting PG and being drastically undersized and unathletic at the 2.

1. Self (1 NC #1 ranking)

2. Anderson
3. Barns (All three get to the Tournament every year)
4. Turgeon

5. Martin
6. Capel (All three need to win consistently before moving up)
7. Drew

8. Knight
9. Bzedelik
10. Sadler
11. McDermott

Ford is doing a really good job with some talented players, that have underachieved their entire college career. I want to see what he does the next couple of years with more of his players before ranking him.

Back