Rank the Big XII Coaches

You've got guys ahead of Capel on your list that haven't even been to an NCAA Tournament game. "Well he had Blake" doesn't work for me, so don't start.

Name the ones who are ahead of him who have "never been to an NCAA tournament game".

McDermott took Northern Iowa to the NCAA tourney at least once, maybe twice or 3 times.
Sadler took UTEP to the NCAA tourney before he went to NU.
Scott Drew took Baylor to the NCAA tourney a few years back.
Bzdelik took AFA to the NCAA tourney.

Pat Knight is the only one who hasn't yet coached in an NCAA tourney game as the "head coach", but Tech may get there this year. Had he inherited the OU program, we would be better off now than we are with Capel. He is a solid coach. JMO.

I remember this on the OUInsider boards, as well.

And shouldn't Capel be getting credit for the development of Blake? All these posters are saying, "Well Capel had Griffin, anyone could have done that." What many people fail to realize is how much better Griffin became his 2nd year. He was a good player his freshman season, but completely transformed his game onto another level. The guy had a complete leap to becoming the best power forward this decade, I think Capel deserves a lot of credit for that development.
We're the only school (and message board) that actually holds it against our Coach when we do something well with good players. When Sampson went to the Final Four, "ahh well it was just a good group of guys, and we had Hollis and Ace." When we rolled to three straight conference titles "oh but I mean guys just played well that weekend, and we had Hollis." Now when Capel goes 30-6, "well, he had Blake, it doesn't count."

It's silly, embarrassing, and moronic.

Name the ones who are ahead of him who have "never been to an NCAA tournament game".
Knight. And how long does Sadler and McDermont have to get to the NCAA Tournament at their present school? Infinite? Since they are at Nebraska and Iowa State, it doesn't matter if they win? So here we go again with the impossibly ridiculous holding it against coach's to coach a certain place or having a certain player.

Last edited:

McDermott took Northern Iowa to the NCAA tourney at least once, maybe twice or 3 times.
Sadler took UTEP to the NCAA tourney before he went to NU.
Scott Drew took Baylor to the NCAA tourney a few years back.
Bzdelik took AFA to the NCAA tourney.

Pat Knight is the only one who hasn't yet coached in an NCAA tourney game as the "head coach", but Tech may get there this year. Had he inherited the OU program, we would be better off now than we are with Capel. He is a solid coach. JMO.

Sorry, Tech is not Dancing

The guy had a complete leap to becoming the best power forward this decade, I think Capel deserves a lot of credit for that development.

I don't really think that is true. Blake averaged over 14 points and 9 rebounds per game as a freshman. He was projected as a lottery pick but decided to stay. As a sophomore he did over 22 and 14. Clearly he improved but he was tha favorite for player of the year in the Big XII and a first team AA after deciding to stay. From my perspective the debate was would he be the first or fifth guy taken in the draft, not whether or not he would be great.

I am also confused because I thought the guy in San Francisco gets all the credit.

Personally, I think Capel did a great job with Blake. However, I give the vast majority of the credit to Blake Griffin, not coach Capel or the guy in San Francisco. The guy that deserves the second most credit is Taylor. Taylor's ability and being two years older made Blake so darn competitive. If you don't have an older brother you probably can't truly understand this. But if you are the younger brother you have a drive to beat your older brother. The better your older brother is the better you are going to be because you are driven to be better.

I don't really think that is true. Blake averaged over 14 points and 9 rebounds per game as a freshman. He was projected as a lottery pick but decided to stay. As a sophomore he did over 22 and 14. Clearly he improved but he was tha favorite for player of the year in the Big XII and a first team AA after deciding to stay. From my perspective the debate was would he be the first or fifth guy taken in the draft, not whether or not he would be great.

I am also confused because I thought the guy in San Francisco gets all the credit.

Personally, I think Capel did a great job with Blake. However, I give the vast majority of the credit to Blake Griffin, not coach Capel or the guy in San Francisco. The guy that deserves the second most credit is Taylor. Taylor's ability and being two years older made Blake so darn competitive. If you don't have an older brother you probably can't truly understand this. But if you are the younger brother you have a drive to beat your older brother. The better your older brother is the better you are going to be because you are driven to be better.

+1

I had an older brother and every day as a kid/adolescent I was driven to be better than he was, and I was. He didn't have that same drive because he was always better than me until I finally surpassed him.

If Blake would have gone from 22 and 14 his freshman year to 14 and 9 his sophomore year, you would have been more than happy to have placed that blame directly on Capel. But, since it went the other way, Capel doesn't get the credit for that. Now, I see how this game works!

Everyone but the head coach gets credit...don't forget to add the nutritionist at the athletic department.

If Blake would have gone from 22 and 14 his freshman year to 14 and 9 his sophomore year, you would have been more than happy to have placed that blame directly on Capel. But, since it went the other way, Capel doesn't get the credit for that. Now, I see how this game works!

No I wouldn't. I have been around a long time. I generally don't criticize coaches or players.

Capel did a great job last year. He did a great job as Blake Griffin's coach. I have never once said differently.

I don't really think that is true. Blake averaged over 14 points and 9 rebounds per game as a freshman. He was projected as a lottery pick but decided to stay. As a sophomore he did over 22 and 14. Clearly he improved but he was tha favorite for player of the year in the Big XII and a first team AA after deciding to stay.

You're wrong on this. Anytime you leap from 14 and 9 to 22 and 14, you can't undervalue his tremendous improvement.

When BG first stepped on campus, his game was raw and primarily relied on his athleticism. He wasn't a refined product stepping on campus like Durant and Beasley were. Capel deserves a lot of credit for his improvement.

And yes, BG was projected lottery after his freshman year. But that was based on his upside and supreme athleticism. And no, he wasn't the favorite for Player of the Year. Hansbrough did come back to school, after all.

Bottom line, Capel significantly helped turned BG into a guy with a lot of potential into a truly great player. For anyone to not realize that is clueless.

Everyone but the head coach gets credit...don't forget to add the nutritionist at the athletic department.

I think Capel and his staff did a great job with Blake Griffin. I don't really have a beef with player development issues.

Exactly.

I think Capel and his staff did a great job with Blake Griffin. I don't really have a beef with player development issues.

That doesn't make sense from what you said earlier... I previously said that Capel deserves a lot of credit for Griffin's development, and you said "I don't think that is true." So by saying that, you're saying you don't think Capel deserves a lot of credit for BG's development. No?

No I wouldn't. I have been around a long time. I generally don't criticize coaches or players.

Capel did a great job last year. He did a great job as Blake Griffin's coach. I have never once said differently.

That one has me :ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll:

That doesn't make sense from what you said earlier... I previously said that Capel deserves a lot of credit for Griffin's development, and you said "I don't think that is true." So by saying that, you're saying you don't think Capel deserves a lot of credit for BG's development. No?

I said (or meant) I don't think Blake made a huge leap and I don't. I think he improved. But I mostly think OU was much better at getting him the ball and he was much more confident in what he could do. I don't think his game changed that much. Blake was outstanding from day one in my opinion.

Now you could say Capel gets credit for getting Blake the ball and running the offense through Blake. That is probably true.

That one has me :ez-roll::ez-roll::ez-roll:

Norm, how old are you? Do you know what OUhomer's was? How long did you participate at OUinsder? Do you know what the knee jerk free board was/is?

I have been critical of Caoch Capel this season starting after the trip to Alaksa.

Prior to that I think most would classify we as a sunshine pumper.

or forget that a big part of his job is to get as many good players as he can.

I couldn't disagree more with that statement. The best basketball teams aren't necessarily those that just have talent oozing from every position. They are the teams that have chemistry, have role players, have experience, have leaders, and fit into what a coach is trying to do.

Capel's job as the OU coach is to win games, from a basketball standpoint. Win games while keeping kids out of trouble. If he can do that recruiting all 5* recruits, fine. If he can do that with all 3 * recruits, fine. But simply stock piling talent isn't his job. On paper we probably have one of the most talented teams in OU's history. And on the court, they stink in a bad way.

Build a team Jeff.

Back