Sooners in the Pros: 2016-17

‏@NBA
The @PelicansNBA's @buddyhield & @Sixers' @JoelEmbiid named @Kia NBA Rookies of the Month for December! #KiaROTM

gWBBcUtl.jpg

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Hield is surging. Playing better than i envisioned now after a rough start. Hope he can keep it up because he is excelling and looking like an excellent pick

On another site, I saw that Hield had been named Rookie of the Month of December for the Western Conference.

Yes. This is from the NOLA Pelicans site ...

Buddy Hield Named Western Conference Rookie of the Month
http://www.nba.com/pelicans/news/buddy-hield-named-western-conference-rookie-month

January 3, 2017

NEW ORLEANS – The NBA announced today that New Orleans Pelicans guard Buddy Hield has been named the Western Conference Rookie of the Month for games played in December.

Hield, 23, led West rookies in scoring (10.6 ppg) and three-point field goal percentage (.478) and topped all first-year players in three-pointers made (33). The 6-4 guard scored in double figures nine times in 16 games, including 12 or more points in each of the final three games of December (a 3-0 stretch for New Orleans). On Dec. 15, Hield set career-highs with 21 points and five three-pointers in a 102-95 victory against the Indiana Pacers.

Drafted sixth overall out of the University of Oklahoma in the 2016 NBA Draft, the Freeport, Bahamas, native is averaging 8.9 points, 2.6 rebounds and 1.2 assists through his first 36 games (16 starts). Additionally, Hield is shooting .364 (55-of-151) from three-point range and .920 (23-of-25) from the free throw line.

Hield is the fourth recipient of the award in New Orleans franchise history and the first since Darren Collison in February of 2010. He joins J.R. Smith (three times), Chris Paul (six times), and Collison (once) as the only players in franchise history to earn Rookie of the Month honors.

Buddy with a good game tonight overall (4-9 from 3, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 turnovers) ... though he shot poorly inside the arc (1-7). He's really starting to come on and is shooting 45%+ from three since the beginning of December.

Buddy with a good game tonight overall (4-9 from 3, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 turnovers) ... though he shot poorly inside the arc (1-7). He's really starting to come on and is shooting 45%+ from three since the beginning of December.

I haven't watched much of him this season, but any idea why he's been so abysmal from inside the arc thus far?

It's great to see that he's finally finding his stroke from outside, though. That's going to be the key to his value in the NBA.

I haven't watched much of him this season, but any idea why he's been so abysmal from inside the arc thus far?

It's great to see that he's finally finding his stroke from outside, though. That's going to be the key to his value in the NBA.
Watch his shots and make your own conclusions. Last game the problem seemed to be Dwight Howard and Thabo Sefolosha.

https://3ball.io/plays/hield miss

Buddy is now shooting 50% from 3 pt range over the course of the past 19 games (47/94).

Buddy is now shooting 50% from 3 pt range over the course of the past 19 games (47/94).

That he is. Buddy had another nice game in NO's win over the Knicks last night, scoring 11 points on 4 of 7 shooting from the field (3 of 5 from three) while also adding 4 rebs, 3 assists and 3 steals.

Watched Buddy play against the Pacers tonight. He finished with 10 points 2/3 from 3. But only played 14 minutes. Not sure why he didn't get more playing time especially when Davis went out of the game. I wish I knew how to post a pic from my phone

He had a relatively rough couple of outings in the prior two games -- maybe he was just being giving some rest.

Hield has been statistically one of the worst defenders in the league thus far. That's likely what's keeping him on the bench. His plus minus was for the game was -14 in those 15 minutes, despite the 10 points that he scored.

Glad to see Buddy has gotten his shot down. Whether he can learn to defend will determine whether he is J.J. Redick (who I thought was his best comparison coming out of college and is a really good NBA starter), or Anthony Morrow (who is a niche role player who just shoots 3s).

Hield has been statistically one of the worst defenders in the league thus far. That's likely what's keeping him on the bench. His plus minus was for the game was -14 in those 15 minutes, despite the 10 points that he scored.

Glad to see Buddy has gotten his shot down. Whether he can learn to defend will determine whether he is J.J. Redick (who I thought was his best comparison coming out of college and is a really good NBA starter), or Anthony Morrow (who is a niche role player who just shoots 3s).
I felt Buddy got better on D every year. I believe the same will happen in the NBA.

This is the next step. He's been a pitiful defender, and his +/- numbers are atrocious.

I chuckled when I saw this post a while back:
Mainly because Buddy put up a -17 and was essentially the key reason the Pelicans lost the game. But I have no doubt he will work himself into being a better defender. And when he does his minutes will go up and he's going to be a really solid pro.

This is the next step. He's been a pitiful defender, and his +/- numbers are atrocious.

I chuckled when I saw this post a while back:

Mainly because Buddy put up a -17 and was essentially the key reason the Pelicans lost the game. But I have no doubt he will work himself into being a better defender. And when he does his minutes will go up and he's going to be a really solid pro.

The quote addressed the stats found in the standard box score but you want to see it otherwise. Post after post on Buddy contained within this forum has essentially revolved around his shooting ability and not his defensive prowess. From now on you could supply the relevant data when you feel it's needed.

Back