Sooners in the Pros: 2016-17

44% isn't horrible, especially for a rookie guard.
I'm saying I thought it was about 30% (from looking at Yahoo). But, it is not yet a concern. He wasn't sensational as a freshman at OU. He learned it.

I'm saying I thought it was about 30% (from looking at Yahoo). But, it is not yet a concern. He wasn't sensational as a freshman at OU. He learned it.

He got better every year in college, I'd put money on him getting better each of his first 5 seasons in the league if they would play him and coach him more.

I didn't know Buddy was at 44%. But, my real surprise is that so many seem pleased that he is struggling?

I have a hard time believing there is a single OU hoops fan would be "pleased" that he is struggling. If anything, OU fans are rooting so hard for him to succeed, that we get frustrated when he doesn't play well. Buddy having a successful NBA career will do wonders for recruiting. I have no doubt Coach Kruger mentions the name "Blake Griffin" to every potential recruit he comes in contact with, and I'm sure he's now throwing "Buddy Hield" in there as well. There's just no upside to be rooting against Buddy Hield to succeed in the NBA.

I believe he will figure it out. My first year of work in my profession after graduating was a bit rough too. New problems, new responsibilities new employer, new town...you get the idea. No one has to tell Buddy to work. He will get better.

i haven't seen one person seem pleased that he is struggling

Neither have I. I think Syb may have misunderstood something someone said. I would call out a poster personally who seemed to be pleased Buddy is struggling.

I can't think of a single reason why everyone on this board would not want to see him be successful as a pro and in whatever he decides to do when his NBA career is over.

By the way, according to the Pelican's web site, Buddy is shooting 37% from the field and 29% from three point range. Those numbers are improvements over what he was averaging a little more than two weeks ago. He's also shooting 87% from the free throw line, so he hasn't lost his touch much in that area of his game.

I like to see Buddy get some points other than from 3. However, buddy has to get those 3 %'s up

Neither have I. I think Syb may have misunderstood something someone said. I would call out a poster personally who seemed to be pleased Buddy is struggling.

I can't think of a single reason why everyone on this board would not want to see him be successful as a pro and in whatever he decides to do when his NBA career is over.

By the way, according to the Pelican's web site, Buddy is shooting 37% from the field and 29% from three point range. Those numbers are improvements over what he was averaging a little more than two weeks ago. He's also shooting 87% from the free throw line, so he hasn't lost his touch much in that area of his game.

I happen to think Buddy will be fine. Will he be a star? I doubt it but he's going to be a solid contributor. The NBA's an adjustment, just like college was. He'll figure it out.

Buddy having his best game in the NBA (played 33 minutes), as he has 21 points on 8 of 17 shooting (5 of 8 3pt) plus 4 rebounds and 2 assists to boot.

Last edited:
Buddy having his best game in the NBA as he has 21 points on 8 of 17 shooting (5 of 8 3pt) plus 4 rebounds and 2 assists to boot.

Glad to see some positive signs. I feel like as hard a worker as he is, he will find a role. Even if he isn't a star I'd like to see him have a long career.

Small steps. Putting a few games together with more points scored than field goals attempted would be nice moving forward.

Small steps. Putting a few games together with more points scored than field goals attempted would be nice moving forward.

He's done that the last four games (well, almost -- in one of those games he scored exactly as many points as shots taken).

I'm taking a break from a hardware upgrade at work with 5 of my teammates. I got some strange looks when I yelled "YES!" after checking Buddy's stats tonight...of course it was mild compared to the looks I got at the airport in June when I yelled "Boomer!" once he got drafted.

Re: Buddy has his biggest night as a pro

:dance005: Always pulling for Buddy!

Re: Buddy has his biggest night as a pro

Terrific news! That's more like the Buddy Hield we all know and love.

I'll move this to the designated NBA thread.

Back