Sooners in the Pros: 2016-17

The Philadelphia 76ers had the right model, they just didn't execute (had they drafted Porzingis over Okafor, they'd be set). New Orleans is kind of screwed because having Anthony Davis means they can't ever get to the top of the lottery. They need Buddy to reach his maximum potential. He is off to an awful start though, and it's extremely troubling. He is the type of player that should have hit the ground running in the league.
Funny that you mention the 76ers. Those two teams and their divergent approaches to team building were epitomized in the draft night trade they made with each other in 2013: the #6 pick (Noel) and NO's 2014 first for Jrue Holiday. Holiday was a very good 23-year-old, but it was also clear that he wasn't a franchise player in the making, which is what you would expect for two lottery picks.

Tom Benson had just bought the New Orleans franchise, and he wanted to win immediately, probably because he was already in his mid-80s. Benson didn't have the patience to trust the process, so the franchise continually took shortcuts to short-term success, acting as if Anthony Davis were 30 years older instead of 20. They mortgaged their 2013 and 2014 firsts for Holiday (young, but high floor, low ceiling) and their 2015 first in a trade for Asik. Buddy is the only first round pick New Orleans has kept since drafting Davis in 2012.

The Pelicans are probably screwed in the short term, and they have 2.5 years until Anthony Davis is an expiring contract. They have a narrow path to contention. That path probably requires Buddy turning into a major contributor and/or Anthony Davis missing enough games for the Pelicans to get another high pick. If it were my team, I would let everyone in the organization know that their jobs largely rest upon the development of young players like Buddy and risk the immediate discontent of Davis in hopes of having a competitive team around him in two to three years. Then again, I'm not an 89-year-old owner.

Buddy's three point shooting has been a bit of an enigma during his professional career so far. We all know he can shoot. Yet, here he is seemingly locked in a slump shooting 25% from behind the arc.

The question is why is he still struggling so much fifteen games into the season? There may be multiple answers, a Rookie with the usual jitters among them. I'm sure he's feeling the pressure, knowing the team and the coaches are counting on him to score.

But, I think the biggest reason may be something as simple as a difference in the distance in the college three point line and the NBA line. Think about it. Buddy was known for shooting hundreds of shots at OU while practicing on his own every day. In short, he developed muscle memory from behind the college line at 19' 9". All of that changed in the NBA. The line at the top of the arc is three feet further at 23' 9". So, the muscle memory he worked so hard to develop in college may actually be working against him now.

I'm sure Buddy will make the adjustment in time. It's just painful to watch one of your all-time favorite Sooners struggle to make shots, when you want nothing but the best for him.

The Pelicans were on ESPN this evening and Buddy was getting open threes but he could not sink the shot. Towards the end of the game the home crowd was chanting "Buddy, Buddy, Buddy," as they were eager for him to take and make a shot, but to no avail he disappointed (0 of 7 from field and 0 of 4 from 3 pt).

Last edited:
It is definitely difficult to watch -- he went 0-7 tonight. I understand the move to cut his minutes, but between him struggling with his shot and seeing his minutes reduced, I wonder if an uncharacteristic lack of confidence isn't now playing a role in his struggles too. I mean, one factor probably feeds the next in a vicious circle of self-doubt. Start with the rookie nerves and the deeper 3-point distance, which lead to him struggling to hit shots, which, combined with the team's early struggles, lead to him seeing ever more limited playing time, which surely puts a dent in his self confidence.

It's not a recipe for success, but he has to work his way through it somehow. I'm sure he's putting in plenty of time in the gym, so one has to hope that, at some point, the shots will start falling. As a Buddy fan, I wish they'd take the opposite approach and give him more minutes, not fewer, to build his confidence a bit, but that's not generally how the NBA (or any professional league) works.

It's a weird deal with Buddy, because he was never a great shooter until his senior year. Solid, but not great. And that shooting ability is what changed him from a fringe NBA kid who got a second round grade to a star who landed in the lottery. But the shooting just isn't there right now, and hasn't been since he was drafted.

It's a weird deal with Buddy, because he was never a great shooter until his senior year. Solid, but not great. And that shooting ability is what changed him from a fringe NBA kid who got a second round grade to a star who landed in the lottery. But the shooting just isn't there right now, and hasn't been since he was drafted.

Yes, it was awfully difficult to watch. The only positive difference between how he's missing his shots now vs. how he missed them prior to his senior year is that he's missing short/long vs. left/right. That does make a difference as good shooters miss short/long. We all want him to succeed in the NBA because we all know how hard he's worked and continues to work.

Maybe we overrated Buddy's skillset transitioning to the NBA. Nothing against Buddy at all. Just how his game translated.

Yes, it was awfully difficult to watch. The only positive difference between how he's missing his shots now vs. how he missed them prior to his senior year is that he's missing short/long vs. left/right. That does make a difference as good shooters miss short/long. We all want him to succeed in the NBA because we all know how hard he's worked and continues to work.

Exactly. Missing long or short seems to support my suggestion that he may be struggling with the distance to the three point line in the NBA. Adjusting to three more feet is no small task when your mind and every muscle in your body has been trained to the feel of a shot from 19' 9".

Buddy playing in OKC next Sunday (Dec 4th).

He appears to be basically completely out of the rotation at this point. Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him sent to the D-league to get his confidence back.

Buddy scored 16 points (highest of his career) shooting 6 of12 from the field and 4 of 7 from 3 pt land.

Jamal Murray, the 19 year old from Kentucky who went #7 to Denver is showing some promise too... Several years younger than Buddy.

Averaging 12/4/2 off the bench for the Nuggets in the last 10 games. He's now averaging 21.3 points, 4.8 rebounds, 3.3 three-pointers and 2.3 assists in 28.5 minutes per game over the last four contests. He's shooting 40% from the 3pt line. 32-82...

Buddy is averaging 3 ppg over his last 10, shooting 23% from the 3pt line... 18-76.

Something tells me these two should have been swapped... Jamal Murray is 19 years old, and looks like a star in the making. ESPN is reporting that Buddy is going to a minor bench role.

Feel bad for Buddy, but maybe the reduced pressure will give him a chance to adjust to the NBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZpRhLUeh2I

#freebuddy

He needs minutes and dumba$$ Pelicans arent giving him minutes. It takes time. That's why they are the Pelicans.

Buddy's homecoming may have been the medicine he needed to cure his shooting woes. He looked a lot more relaxed, taking his shots in the flow of the game. Sixteen points in fifteen minutes on 6 of 12 shooting from the field (4of 7 from three) was a new NBA high for our former Sooner. He also added 4 rebounds and an assist.

Welcome home, Buddy!

crap should have kept watching...saw him sitting with sweats on..figured he wouldn't get much time if any.:facepalm

Buddy's homecoming may have been the medicine he needed to cure his shooting woes. He looked a lot more relaxed, taking his shots in the flow of the game. Sixteen points in fifteen minutes on 6 of 12 shooting from the field (4of 7 from three) was a new NBA high for our former Sooner. He also added 4 rebounds and an assist.

Welcome home, Buddy!

Yeah, he was great!

Buddy made it back into the starting lineup and had 8 points (3 of 8 from the field, 2 of 5 from 3pt, 2 rebounds and 1 assist and steal)).

Back