Sooners in the Pros: 2016-17

Re: Warriors/Pelicans game tonight

Buddy has had a horrible start to his career. He hasn't been making shots, from summer league through the preseason and now into the regular season.

Buddy has had a horrible start to his career. He hasn't been making shots, from summer league through the preseason and now into the regular season.

What are you talking about? In preseason Buddy scored in double digits every game but one, lead them in scoring twice, and became the second favorite in Vegas to win Rookie of the Yead (behind Kris Dunn) based off his preseason performance.

What are you talking about? In preseason Buddy scored in double digits every game but one, lead them in scoring twice, and became the second favorite in Vegas to win Rookie of the Yead (behind Kris Dunn) based off his preseason performance.

Go look at his shooting stats. They were bad. 43% from the field, 31% from 3. Not that hard to look these things up.

Don't be too hard on the Pelicans... This team has one of the best players in the NBA in Anthony Davis, who is a total freak. He is insanely good. An elite level player, without question.

They were supposed to look like this:

PG: Jrue Holiday (14/6/4 career averages)
SG: Lance Stephenson (9/3/4 career averages)
SG: Tyreke Evans (17/5/5 career averages)
PF: Anthony Davis (21/10/3 career averages)
C: Omer Asik (6/7.5 career averages)

Instead they have:

PG: Etwaun Moore (scab)
SG: Tim Frazier (scab)
SF: Solomon Hill (Scab)
PF: Anthony Davis
C: Omer Asik

Go look at his shooting stats. They were bad. 43% from the field, 31% from 3. Not that hard to look these things up.

Those aren't horrible.. ideally you'd wanna be north of 33%.

His 4 pt debut last night on the other hand was a letdown but it's one game. I don't think he'll be a star. But i think he'll be a Morrow maybe a little better

Those aren't horrible.. ideally you'd wanna be north of 33%.

His 4 pt debut last night on the other hand was a letdown but it's one game. I don't think he'll be a star. But i think he'll be a Morrow maybe a little better

Those are horrible stats. You don't stay in the league if you shoot like that, unless you're an elite defender or something. Not sure what's wrong with Buddy, but he has not looked good since turning pro.

Those are horrible stats. You don't stay in the league if you shoot like that, unless you're an elite defender or something. Not sure what's wrong with Buddy, but he has not looked good since turning pro.
It takes time to adjust to the speed and size of the NBA. So far there haven't been too many rookies just tearing it up. Also has very limited minutes. He'll be fine give it some time. He'll have opportunities on that team hopefully sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It takes time to adjust to the speed and size of the NBA. So far there haven't been too many rookies just tearing it up. Also has very limited minutes. He'll be fine give it some time. He'll have opportunities on that team hopefully sooner than later.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Obviously he has plenty of time to turn it around. I don't think he'll ever be a star, but I expect him to become an elite spot up shooter in the NBA and be a solid starter for a long time.

No one wants to see Buddy do well more than me. But, there is no denying that he is off to a less-than stellar start to his NBA career. As hard as it is to believe, he can't seem to make shots. In the last five games he's averaging just over 30% from the field and an unbelievable 10% (2 of 19) from three point range.

I have no doubt that Buddy will find his stroke again. He's too good and too dedicated to getting better by practicing harder than to let an early season shooting slump get in his way. Yet, despite the pressure he must feel, he simply has to find a way to make shots.

In the two games I've watched, it's obvious his role is to be a spot up shooter. He tries to find an open spot, usually behind the arc, on nearly every possession. It's good that Alvin Gentry continues to have confidence in him. But there is also a downside in that his opportunities to show what he can do on offense are limited to making shots.

He is also playing with a selfish group of guards who don't seem to understand that basketball is a "team" sport. Except for a focus on getting Anthony Davis involved in the offense (and rightly so, he's a terrific player) they're mostly interested in their own stats. I thinks there's a chance Buddy may realize that, so he's pressing too hard to make every shot instead of letting the game come to him.

Either way, he's not in a good place right now, literally and figuratively. Like Coolm said, the Pelicans are a mess.

Ada, your stats didn't look right to me so I looked up Buddy's numbers. He has played in 3 regular season games averaging over 17 minutes per game. He is 6-24 from the floor including 0-8 from outside the arc. I knew he hadn't taken 19 3-point shots.

I agree he isn't in a good place. His 3-point attempts aren't rattling in and out. They aren't even close. On the other hand he has been aggressively taking the ball to the hoop, and some of those have rimmed out.

Ada, your stats didn't look right to me so I looked up Buddy's numbers. He has played in 3 regular season games averaging over 17 minutes per game. He is 6-24 from the floor including 0-8 from outside the arc. I knew he hadn't taken 19 3-point shots.

I agree he isn't in a good place. His 3-point attempts aren't rattling in and out. They aren't even close. On the other hand he has been aggressively taking the ball to the hoop, and some of those have rimmed out.

Is he including the last two exhibition games (3+2=5)?

Is he including the last two exhibition games (3+2=5)?

You are correct, sheepdogs1.

This discussion has been mostly about Buddy's shooting woes in the three regular season games as well as in the post season. When I checked his stats, I found the link below that gave a complete breakdown on every phase of his performance during the regular season so far, as well as the last two preseason games. I pointed that out in my post but my friend usedtobe1 must have missed it.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2990984

Usedtobe1 is right, though, Buddy is not in a good place right now. He simply has to start making shots. Heck, I saw him miss two layups from point blank range in one game. He shot one completely over the basket, and the other slipped out of his hands when he tried to catch a pass and make the shot in one motion. That's one of the reasons I said he may be pressing too much.

JJ Redick averaged 6 PPG for his first 3 years.

Give it time.

He's definitely pressing, but I think it's too soon to be terribly concerned. His third game showed a slight improvement over his first two (based on the stats -- I saw the game against the Warriors but not the third game against the Spurs). He had eight points in 17 minutes against SA.

He is to sped up at this time. Similar to his freshman year. The game will slow down for him and he will be fine.

It is a long season. Relax people.

Good advice by all! When I say I'm concerned, I'm actually saying I want Buddy to be the player we know he can be right out of the gate. I realize that may be asking too much for a rookie who is still adjusting to the speed and physicality of the NBA game, not to mention a three point line that is not the same as the one he was accustomed to in college. My biggest "concern," for lack of a better way to describe it, is that Buddy is being counted on to make shots from the perimeter, an area of strength for him in the past, but one he has struggled mightily with in the five games I referenced.

I also think oudna is right about his J. J. Reddick comparison. I thought of that when I watched Buddy fighting for an open spot on the floor without much help from his teammates in running set plays and setting picks. I can definitely see the similarities.

He'll be fine. I just want him to do well in every game.

I'm not jumping to conclusions after 3 games, but he's certainly not been great so far.

Jamal Murray out of Kentucky has barely been able to get off the bench for Denver, and he was supposed to be neck and neck with Buddy.

Jamal Murray out of Kentucky has barely been able to get off the bench for Denver, and he was supposed to be neck and neck with Buddy.

Buddy is 4 years old than Murray. Their growth curves are expected to be a lot different.

Back