Starting lineup next year( who’s back?)

Lon seems to always struggle to get bigs. I think a lot of that is simply his penchant for recruiting athletic projects with little skills. Our successes have come from strong undersized (height wise) but tough type players with good inside skills like Spangler and Doolittle. Why he doesn't recruit more players like that I will never understand. I'd hoped that Hill or Vic would be that kind of player but so far neither has shown it.

Likely helped these guys were locals.

If that is our roster next year, we're going to be bottom half of the Big 12 again.

Hill and Iwuakor starting? <shudder>

THIS is an example of my biggest complain with Lon. I don't have a ton of issues with THIS year's team. But then we drop down to this projected roster/team next year. Maybe Lon saves the day with another transfer or two. Maybe somebody comes back (I actually think it's likely at least ONE player does return). But the above roster is not a competitive roster in the Big 12.

I’m not sure the team isn’t better this year with Hill or Iwuakor in the line up rather than Manek. Brady scores better than either but that’s the end of his good qualities. He is a liability on defense and on the boards. For the season I would bet Manek’s man has shot 70% or better from the field. He’s given up lots of season highs and several career highs in points and rebounds.

Hill and Iwuakor will both be upgrades over Brady.

Last edited:
I’m not sure the team isn’t better this year with Hill or Iwuakor in the line up rather than Manek. Brady scores better than either but that’s the end of his good qualities. He is a liability on defense and on the boards. For the season I would bet Manek’s man has shot 70% or better from the field. He’s given up lots of season highs and several career highs in points and rebounds.

LMAO Those two were not even playable vs KU

I’ll SWAG

PG Harmon
SG Gipson
SG Harkless
F Hill
F Iwuakor
(Unless a transfer big comes in)

At least one or two of these guys will step up next year as well:
Garang
Issanza
O’Garro
Phipps

Redshirt candidates:
Cortez (I’m much higher on this kid than his ranking suggest)
Noland

Noland is much more likely to be a starter than to redshirt

I don’t think you’re far off. Yes it would seem scary offensively but you never know what guys would do with more minutes and experience, and being allowed to get comfortable. I’d rather go all in on toughness, physicality, defense, and rebounding and build offensively instead of being horribly inconsistent offensively and weak, soft, and matador defense. Give me an identity, and defense, rebounding, and toughness travels. Right now, we never know what we’re going to get but more often than not it’s not much of any of those... Get an identity!

My wife went to ACU and we follow their basketball team. You talk about an identity. They ooze defense, toughness, etc. I’d take that in a heartbeat!

I disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I'll add this. Manek didn't defend well this year, but he could score. if you play Hill or Iwuakor, literally every point they give up is going to be a negative, b/c they aren't going to score (like, at all) to offset it. And not being able to score directly impacts the ability of our other players being able to score.

I disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Edit: I'll add this. Manek didn't defend well this year, but he could score. if you play Hill or Iwuakor, literally every point they give up is going to be a negative, b/c they aren't going to score (like, at all) to offset it. And not being able to score directly impacts the ability of our other players being able to score.

Bingo...

I’ll add... Vic AND Hill together won’t score as much as Manek...by a long shot

If Hill is a starter I think he'll average around 10 points a game next year which is pretty similar to what Manek gave us this year. Regardless though, I agree it won't be enough. We need a transfer who can get buckets on the inside.

If Hill is a starter I think he'll average around 10 points a game next year which is pretty similar to what Manek gave us this year. Regardless though, I agree it won't be enough. We need a transfer who can get buckets on the inside.

Jalen Hill has not shown anything that leads me to believe he's capable of averaging double digits on a good team

Jalen Hill has not shown anything that leads me to believe he's capable of averaging double digits on a good team

When we first got him...I thought, nice a 6'7 wing...then saw he was put in the post. He's had a few shots, but ya, not thinking he'll be avg 10 a game.,,but who knows.

Our post will be a huge let down.

Vic - “athletic” but very low basketball skills
Hill - maybe not as athletic but is a scrapper... not much game time experience
The other two... they got maybe 10 min ALL SEASON between them..? There going to be our starters ? Ummm ok.

Our guards
Harmon
Harkness
Gibson
Phipps
*2 FR recruits
Cortes
Noland

Neither freshmen will
Redshirt.

Assuming we lose Reaves, Manek, kur, Williams, ou really needs an impact transfer. Obviously would prefer an impact forward but another great guard would work.It will be especially difficult to get a starter quality forward in the portal. Those guys are going to be hot commodities and don’t be surprised if bagmen are involved.

Don’t sleep on Vic. I believe he will really blossom with more live reps. There were times this year where he was the best post player for an entire game.

I think Vic or Hill will start at the 4. Basically we have been going smaller and I just don't see OU adding or getting lucky enough on adding two legit post players. I have hope for big Rick and that's about it from the bench guys from this season.
Harmon
Gibson
Harkless
Vic/Hill
Transfer/Rick

With both freshmen playing some.

I just did some recruiting research....

Apparently OU was in the top 3 for Atiki Ally Atiki but he chose BYU over OU and San Diego State recently. He's from Tanzania and going to some basketball academy in the UK right now.

Every other post player that shows up as being interested in OU has committed to another school. Only guards are left on that board.

Don’t sleep on Vic. I believe he will really blossom with more live reps. There were times this year where he was the best post player for an entire game.

Respectfully, I must have missed those games.....and I watched every game this year.

I just did some recruiting research....

Apparently OU was in the top 3 for Atiki Ally Atiki but he chose BYU over OU and San Diego State recently. He's from Tanzania and going to some basketball academy in the UK right now.

Every other post player that shows up as being interested in OU has committed to another school. Only guards are left on that board.

OU stopped recruiting.

He didn’t have a chance to choose OU. But you do you.

I am not a Vic guy. I don't see him doing much for us.. sadly he may be forced to play due to no competition

I go back and forth. I see the potential but at some point you gotta grab boards and make 2 foot shots.

Back