The Big 12 and tempo

pnkranger

Reaction score
An interesting Ken Pom note about tempo (I don't want this to turn into an argument about whether I'm a Ken Pom guy or not)...

The top 4 teams in the Big 12 all play fast, with an adjusted tempo ranking in the top 100 of teams:

72 Kansas
9 Iowa State
32 Oklahoma
23 West Virginia

None of the other 6 teams rank higher than 203 in adjusted tempo.

286 Baylor
244 Oklahoma State
291 Kansas State
271 Texas
203 TCU
304 Texas Tech

Not sure what to take from this other than that it is an interesting data point.

Five of Oklahoma's 8 losses have come to teams ranked 250 or slower. Then again it's hard to take anything from that because we are 8-3 against similar teams in big 12 play.

Last edited:
Edit: Wrong thread.

Last edited:
You typically play slow if you can't keep up offensively.

Just look at OSU, they were a fast paced team the two previous years when they had those scorers. Now they are limited with scoring options and they've slowed the pace down.

Same thing can be said for Baylor. They were much more fast paced with Heslip and Pierre Jackson team.

OU, ISU, KU, WVU all have a bunch of scoring options and teams that can keep up in a back and forth scoring game.

You will never see a game like OUvsISU when Baylor or OSU play anyone. they will muck it up on defense and try to keep it close

That is interesting. I am surprised so many Big XII teams play so slowly.

The Big 8/Big 12 have had the greatest success when their teams pushed the pace. The 80's were great times for the league and then Kelvin's final four year we were much faster paced along with Kansas and Texas at the time.

Wish more teams would play up tempo. The ISU game was the most enjoyable we have had in years.

An interesting Ken Pom note about tempo (I don't want this to turn into an argument about whether I'm a Ken Pom guy or not)...

The top 4 teams in the Big 12 all play fast, with an adjusted tempo ranking in the top 100 of teams:

72 Kansas
9 Iowa State
32 Oklahoma
23 West Virginia

None of the other 6 teams rank higher than 203 in adjusted tempo.

286 Baylor
244 Oklahoma State
291 Kansas State
271 Texas
203 TCU
304 Texas Tech

Not sure what to take from this other than that it is an interesting data point.

Five of Oklahoma's 8 losses have come to teams ranked 250 or slower. Then again it's hard to take anything from that because we are 8-3 against similar teams in big 12 play.

What I take from that is that OU isn't pigeon-holed into having to play one particular type of style. This team has shown that it can win playing up-tempo, but it can also win a slugfest. This is a good quality to have heading into March. Having said that, they would much rather play up-tempo if given the chance.

Back