Transfer Portal Thread

Way to much whining about NIL in this thread, hopefully OU Athletics isn't acting like this because it is not changing and if you don't adapt you are going to be left behind.

Some of you lack reading comprehension skills. He didn't say KSU wasn't going to participate in the NIL. He said he didn't like players who focus too much on it. If that's all a player wants to talk about there are a lot of coaches who would list them behind players who want to know how they fit in your system etc and about the NIL.

Way to much whining about NIL in this thread, hopefully OU Athletics isn't acting like this because it is not changing and if you don't adapt you are going to be left behind.

It is most certainly going to change.

Damn, I missed this. I put him on a list as soon as he entered due to his talent level but never circled back...until tonight.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1527772174970507264?s=20&t=XoNhB3N1EwRYZ2OmddWm5g[/TWEET]

Damn, I missed this. I put him on a list as soon as he entered due to his talent level but never circled back...until tonight.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JonKrawczynski/status/1527772174970507264?s=20&t=XoNhB3N1EwRYZ2OmddWm5g[/TWEET]

Why did he take such a step back this year

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1528372168488271873?s=20&t=WQ2vpdbJILza9GE5K-v-Cg[/TWEET]

Why did he take such a step back this year

Good question, not really sure. Maybe due to the coaching switch.

Here's an excerpt from the article I just read on 247:

Walton’s freshman spark was lacking in his sophomore season under first-year head coach Hubert Davis, who challenged the sharp-shooting wing to be more aggressive offensively early in the season.

"[I have to be] more intentional in terms of calling specific plays for him," Davis said in December. "So that is something, me being the head coach and coaching Kerwin, that I have learned and grown in terms of — he prefers calling an actual play for him. But it's also a two-way street, so he has to be aggressive as well. He has been doing a great job of that in practice. As I said before, I think he is one of the better shooters and basketball players in the country. I am really looking forward to him being more aggressive out there on the floor. Us being able to intentionally set screens, look for him, and get him open because -- on both ends of the floor, but specifically offensively -- he is somebody who can really help out this team a lot.

"One of the things that I told him is that he is going to have to be more aggressive. He is going to have to move more. One of the ways is to set screens. I've always believed that the person that usually sets the screen, that is the one that usually gets open, but he has to actively work hard to come off screens, to run in transition, to be hard to guard."

Tape shows a guy with a great stroke who plays within himself and is unselfish (maybe too unselfish). Sounds like Hubert Davis had an expectation that didn't fit with his skill set. Really does look like a good player. Great catch and shoot guy to put around Sherfield and Bamisile who can play interchangeably with guys like Noland and Oweh.

Tape shows a guy with a great stroke who plays within himself and is unselfish (maybe too unselfish). Sounds like Hubert Davis had an expectation that didn't fit with his skill set. Really does look like a good player. Great catch and shoot guy to put around Sherfield and Bamisile who can play interchangeably with guys like Noland and Oweh.

His release is quick. That's one of my favorite attributes about Walton. His defense was the main reason he couldn't get consistent PT under Davis. Roy didn't care about defense, that's why he got a ton of PT under Roy. Davis on the other hand, you have to play defense or you're not getting any PT.

His release is quick. That's one of my favorite attributes about Walton. His defense was the main reason he couldn't get consistent PT under Davis. Roy didn't care about defense, that's why he got a ton of PT under Roy. Davis on the other hand, you have to play defense or you're not getting any PT.

He's got the body and athleticism to play solid D. He's worth a shot to see if Moser can get him motivated on that side of the ball.

Players are still going to get money…that is not changing, The NCAA got their ass handed to them in the case before the Supreme Court

Cool. It just needs to be regulated so that in practice it is what it was supposed to be.

Namely:
1 - No more giving kids money before they even get to college or sign with a team (inducement).
2 - Using a bit of common sense in what amounts may or may not be appropriate.

Change is coming. Sure, kids will still get paid, but I'm pretty sure there is enough momentum to stop the "inducement" aspect of it that changes are coming.

He's got the body and athleticism to play solid D. He's worth a shot to see if Moser can get him motivated on that side of the ball.

Agreed. That might entice him to go to OU.

However, I'm not entirely sure he wants to be a backup at this point.

Agreed. That might entice him to go to OU.

However, I'm not entirely sure he wants to be a backup at this point.

I know you aren't as high on Joey Baker....but I think he would be a decent addition.

Coincidentally, when I was coaching HS basketball in NC we played the team Baker played for in the championship game of a tournament (Trinity Christian from Fayetteville). This was a few years before Baker's time there...but they had a 6'10" center who started for Charlotte, a 6'4" D1 PG and a 6'7" wing that was a D1 kid. We rolled out with 2 guards that were about 5'10" and a 6'2" center who was more of a football player but was a TOUGH kid....My best player was a 6'3" combo forward. We could shoot the eyes out of the ball and we come out raining 3s on TC...hit like 4 in the first quarter. At the end of the game with 7 seconds left we are shooting the front end of a 1 and 1 down 1 point...miss it and they go down and score at the buzzer to beat us by 3. It was a really fun game.

I know you aren't as high on Joey Baker....but I think he would be a decent addition.

Coincidentally, when I was coaching HS basketball in NC we played the team Baker played for in the championship game of a tournament (Trinity Christian from Fayetteville). This was a few years before Baker's time there...but they had a 6'10" center who started for Charlotte, a 6'4" D1 PG and a 6'7" wing that was a D1 kid. We rolled out with 2 guards that were about 5'10" and a 6'2" center who was more of a football player but was a TOUGH kid....My best player was a 6'3" combo forward. We could shoot the eyes out of the ball and we come out raining 3s on TC...hit like 4 in the first quarter. At the end of the game with 7 seconds left we are shooting the front end of a 1 and 1 down 1 point...miss it and they go down and score at the buzzer to beat us by 3. It was a really fun game.

Good ole Fayetteville. Man. Dennis Smith Jr was a damn stud around that area. You get to see him while coaching?

I'm not high on Baker much at all. He's a shooter, and that's it. Sure we need shooters, but I would prefer a guy like Walton where he has a few years left and Moser can try to get him to lock in on defense.

...so someone else found the 5-day old Walton tweet(s) an hour after I did? What a weird coincidence. :)

Anyway, looking around at some of the boards for the other 4 schools mentioned...

Tech - If Elijah Fisher commits to Tech today as expected, a 2023 wing who's reclassifying to 2022, that will leave Tech with one scholarship left and not a lot of PT for a player surely looking for PT. I can't rule it out, duh, but it doesn't make a lot of sense, to me.

Their lineup:

PG: Harmon, Isaacs, Nadolny
SG: Williams, Washington
SF: Tyson, Fisher
PF: Obanor, Allen, Jennings
C: Aimaq, Batcho

Clemson - One of the few P5 level programs, or high majors in CBB, with worse bball coverage than OU. The best place to find info is a free board named TigerNet and there isn't much there either. No Walton updates.

But from what I can gather, they only have one spot left as well.

Memphis - Walton visited Memphis like two weeks ago. Hasn't been any substantial update since then.

Kansas State - not much

----

Looks like he's set to announce soon. I've seen next week mentioned.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Doctork24_/status/1529276748038393862?s=20&t=BH1wsLNIE-n7FGI_ahnvLw[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TransferTapes/status/1526766825865981952?s=20&t=40hdlPi2RCLiXM_Y6EgH2A[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1529496048468692993?s=20&t=o028QyCVKWw126-N__z-mA[/TWEET]

Akot...still tracking but I haven't seen much to connect OU lately (some past follows, etc)

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Eshakah/status/1528410241028739075[/TWEET]

Nance...Northwestern connections but my guess is if he comes back to college, it'll probably be a Duke, UNC, Kentucky type.

Edit: Maybe Illinois for Nance.

Last edited:
Back