Transfer Portal Thread

It probably says more about me than him, but I've never even heard of Bryant.

What???

They were in the tourney this year.

How can you not know if this Smithfield, RI institution?

In all seriousness, I know a lot about Bryant because my Dad is an alumn— I’ve even been on campus. Their basketball program has recently really jumped up in class— first from D2 to D1 and now they are moving up a wrung to a different conference. It’s a really small program still with facilities that would hardly blow you away, but it’s probably got an up arrow as far as smaller D1 programs go. First Tourney appearance this past year.

It’s really interesting to hear about where all the transfers are going, but I’m really only concerned with who OU is getting. So, any news there?

From March 23rd

Gained:

Oklahoma:

F Sam Godwin - walk-on
'21-22 Stats: 6.3 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 62 FG% (only 13 mpg)
Transferred from: Wofford
YOE: 3

This is weird. Theoretically if you’re OU you would want to get better than him. However as a walkon, he’s better than the kid that transferred out, rick Isanza, and Jacob Groves. So if he gets in the oration over Rick and Jacob(I doubt Jacob because for some reason Moser loves him) it’s a situation of why does he pay for school over guys he’s better than.

I’ve seen coaches not play walkons for that reason.

This is weird. Theoretically if you’re OU you would want to get better than him. However as a walkon, he’s better than the kid that transferred out, rick Isanza, and Jacob Groves. So if he gets in the oration over Rick and Jacob(I doubt Jacob because for some reason Moser loves him) it’s a situation of why does he pay for school over guys he’s better than.

I’ve seen coaches not play walkons for that reason.

It’s a steal imo. Great get.

Jacob Groves perplexed me a lot this year. He was much better down the stretch. He needs to be that way all the time. I’m not ready to say that Sam is already better than him. Time will tell…

Are we sure he's a walkon? I don't know jack, but when has OU ever made such a big deal with graphics, etc for a walkon? Hope i'm wrong.

Another thing.. Is Rick staying? Haven't seen anything about him entering the portal..

Edit: It wasn't OU, nevermind..

Last edited:
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1513135008432676864?s=20&t=YXjhlH-u7lEdbnpVBTKnmw[/TWEET]

It’s a steal i Great get.

Jacob Groves perplexed me a lot this year. He was much better down the stretch. He needs to be that way all the time. I’m not ready to say that Sam is already better than him. Time will tell…

I couldn’t agree more, BT!

Sam and our grandson grew up together. Sam is not just a good athlete with a high upside and three years to play, he’s a fine young man who will fit right in as the type of player Porter is using to build OU’s basketball program.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1513135008432676864?s=20&t=YXjhlH-u7lEdbnpVBTKnmw[/TWEET]

I don’t want to get my hopes up but man Key would be a massive addition.

Will be tough against tech and home state Tennessee.

Sam and our grandson grew up together. Sam is not just a good athlete with a high upside and three years to play, he’s a fine young man who will fit right in as the type of player Porter is using to build OU’s basketball program.

Thanks Ada! Looking forward to watching him in his new Jordan brand OU uniform!

It’s really interesting to hear about where all the transfers are going, but I’m really only concerned with who OU is getting. So, any news there?

Hard to have news when no one is truly interested in covering OU basketball. Really, we have one guy semi-invested and they're more reactive than proactive.

Outside of Godwin walking-on, Key and Bamisile are what I labeled 'High Priority" targets. Which just means we know they're planning to visit thanks to national guys.

For the most part, we're waiting on the same national guys to drop news.

Last edited:

Ada, good info. Do you think he could mature into OU scholarship caliber? Does he have pretty good athleticism at 6-9? Looks like he needs to gain some muscle. But i'd never argue with having another Spangler on the roster eventually.

Ada, good info. Do you think he could mature into OU scholarship caliber? Does he have pretty good athleticism at 6-9? Looks like he needs to gain some muscle. But i'd never argue with having another Spangler on the roster eventually.

Stikboy, the answer is, yes, because I believe Sam will work hard to reach his full potential. He may not turn into another Ryan Spangler (not many players do), but I think he has the goods to contribute at a high level before his career is over at OU.

Keep in mind that Sam transferred to Southmoore for his senior season, so most of my “follow up” was second hand, and an occasional news blip I could find. Nevertheless, his potential was obvious, even in junior high. The players in his class, including our grandson, were really good in nearly every sport.

Stikboy, the answer is, yes, because I believe Sam will work hard to reach his full potential. He may not turn into another Ryan Spangler (not many players do), but I think he has the goods to contribute at a high level before his career is over at OU.

Keep in mind that Sam transferred to Southmoore for his senior season, so most of my “follow up” was second hand, and an occasional news blip I could find. Nevertheless, his potential was obvious, even in junior high. The players in his class, including our grandson, were really good in nearly every sport.

That's pretty awesome. Neat that you have that connection.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/NealQuinn8/status/1513228579835977733[/TWEET]

was on the list due to a follow. Clearly nothing happened there.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1512545425202552833[/TWEET]

Bully on the block.

Related to Jamaal Charles. Texas is definitely in the running. Houston as well.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1513267227100958729[/TWEET]

Back