Transfer Portal Thread

But we're trying to improve the team, not tread water. I want Sherfield and Mo.

That's been my mindset all along. Replacing the guys who left with similarly talented players - or less talented replacements like Allick and Strong - just means we go 19-15 again.

2 guys rated better than the 2 guys we are losing.

But hey your story you tell it.

Sherfield and Bamisile are good additions and will be even better if a) one or both are eligible right away, which seems somewhat probable and b) Sherfield actually winds up at OU.

Strong and Allick, though? I just don't see the fit. They seem like marginal high major players at best.

Northweather has talent, but he's a three-year project before he's ready to play big minutes, imo. He's just as likely to portal in that time frame, if not sooner.

This time last year, Alston Mason was a steal and going to be so good, blah, blah, blah. Now he's at Missouri State.

Sherfield and Bamisile are good additions and will be even better if a) one or both are eligible right away, which seems somewhat probable and b) Sherfield actually winds up at OU.

Strong and Allick, though? I just don't see the fit. They seem like marginal high major players at best.

Northweather has talent, but he's a three-year project before he's ready to play big minutes, imo. He's just as likely to portal in that time frame, if not sooner.

This time last year, Alston Mason was a steal and going to be so good, blah, blah, blah. Now he's at Missouri State.

Marginal like chargois from smu? Or Moja from north Texas? Or Harkless for uc whatever?

Or Baylor schierman from ndst?

I am not saying those 2 (strong and allick) are those guys…

You’ve watched 2:00 clip. Didn’t see them on a list. And hate on the staff. So all the sudden the suck.

Fit matters. Culture matters. 2nd head coach. Proven winner. Knows what he’s looking for.

I have no clue if we land strong or allick. FYI.

Why don’t those 2 “fit” for you? I’ll wait.

2 guys rated better than the 2 guys we are losing.

But hey your story you tell it.

But imagine if we'd kept Mo and replaced Mason with Sherfield instead. That's what I'm talking about. Keep your best players and cycle out your lesser players for better ones. We're cycling out our best players for (maybe) slightly better players and bringing in second-tier players to replace our second-tier players. The that doesn't guarantee major improvement.

Marginal like chargois from smu? Or Moja from north Texas? Or Harkless for uc whatever?

You’ve watched 2:00 clip. Didn’t see them on a list. And hate on the staff. So all the sudden the suck.

Fit matters. Culture matters. 2nd head coach. Proven winner. Knows what he’s looking for.

Strong's a good shooter and a low mistake guy. Maybe Noland starts and Strong comes off the bench or vice versa. Or Uzan is too good to keep on the bench or Schroder or Oweh play the 3rd guard role, so we've got Bam and Sherfield at the 1-2.

Strong was a second option last year in a solid conference. He'll be fine in whatever role we put him in. Doesn't look like a star, but if we have Sherfield and Bamisile, he doesn't have to be. Hit open shots, defend, and don't turn it over.

But imagine if we'd kept Mo and replaced Mason with Sherfield instead. That's what I'm talking about. Keep your best players and cycle out your lesser players for better ones. We're cycling out our best players for (maybe) slightly better players and bringing in second-tier players to replace our second-tier players. The that doesn't guarantee major improvement.

100% agree. I want mo to stay.

But you can’t promise him the ball in his hands 80% of the game.

Especially with Sherfield on the team.

Allick's numbers against the best teams he played were bad. 17 turnovers, four assists in five games and he fouled out twice. But sure, let's throw him out Kansas, Baylor, Texas, etc. and see what happens.

I'm not as bearish on Strong. He can shoot and we need that. Plus, his assist-to-turnover ratio was really good, which is also much-needed after last season.

Also, I like Moser. He's a great coach, but we need more talent to really compete. Mid-major role players don't seem like the answer to me, no matter how well they might 'fit' the culture.

Last edited:
100% agree. I want mo to stay.

But you can’t promise him the ball in his hands 80% of the game.

Especially with Sherfield on the team.

Is that what he wants? If so, probably best to say good bye....

Is that what he wants? If so, probably best to say good bye....

If the reports that he wants to be OU’s PG are accurate, that is exactly what he wants!

As much as I like Mo and appreciate his contribution to the team the past two years, I’m not in favor of making promises that may not be in the best interests of the team as a whole!

Time to move on!

Good point about Mason. The ONLY thing I would say is I think Mason's transfer fits into the, "easier to transfer then improve game" category which has alot to do with how easy it is leave a program these days. I do think he'll develop into a nice player and Sooner fans will wish he stayed his four years. But we just will never know. Bienemy is a great example of that.

If the reports that he wants to be OU’s PG are accurate, that is exactly what he wants!

As much as I like Mo and appreciate his contribution to the team the past two years, I’m not in favor of making promises that may not be in the best interests of the team as a whole!

Time to move on!

I agree 100%

Good point about Mason. The ONLY thing I would say is I think Mason's transfer fits into the, "easier to transfer then improve game" category which has alot to do with how easy it is leave a program these days. I do think he'll develop into a nice player and Sooner fans will wish he stayed his four years. But we just will never know. Bienemy is a great example of that.

I dunno. JB is averaging damn near 15 ppg for UTEP. I would take that right now.

My interest in college basketball has faded to nothing the last few years outside of following OU.

Sadly, I see my interest in OU bball and all college sports fading to nothing within a few more years. I'll still probably follow results but thats about it.

I don't know if it is age, NIL, transfers or what but my heart isn't in it anymore. Its just another pro league that is hard for me to find an attachment to

The best portal news of all might be the fact that Bally Sports will apparently no longer be part of the Sooner program. :)

Back