Transfer Portal Thread

Go somewhere else and steal a thread. NAIA worked too hard

JOE B,
Sherfield
Strong
Allick

Northweather

Would you take it?

At this point that is looking like best case scenario.

If everybody is "eligible" next year, that is probably an overall upgrade at the guard spots, and a slight downgrade at backup 5.

But Joe B., Sherfield, and Strong are probably better as a group than Goldwire, Gibson, and Harkless. Certainly from an offensive skills perspective.

PG - Sherfield, Cortes
SG - Joe B, Noland
OG - Strong
PF - Hill, J. Groves
C - T. Groves, Allick

Add in the three freshman who should compete for minutes. Noland would have a chance to start over Strong maybe.

Somebody will be unhappy with minutes. 3 freshman. Sherfield, Joe B., Strong, Noland, and Cortes. That is 8 players for 3 spots. Plus J. Groves may still get minutes at the 3. My guess is Cortes leaves after next season. Probably going to wish he left this season. Sounds like he's been thinking about it.

If everybody is "eligible" next year, that is probably an overall upgrade at the guard spots, and a slight downgrade at backup 5.

But Joe B., Sherfield, and Strong are probably better as a group than Goldwire, Gibson, and Harkless. Certainly from an offensive skills perspective.

PG - Sherfield, Cortes
SG - Joe B, Noland
OG - Strong
PF - Hill, J. Groves
C - T. Groves, Allick

Add in the three freshman who should compete for minutes. Noland would have a chance to start over Strong maybe.

Somebody will be unhappy with minutes. 3 freshman. Sherfield, Joe B., Strong, Noland, and Cortes. That is 8 players for 3 spots. Plus J. Groves may still get minutes at the 3. My guess is Cortes leaves after next season. Probably going to wish he left this season. Sounds like he's been thinking about it.

Could be this lineup.
Cortes or Uzan
Sherfield/Noland
Joe B/Strong
Hill/Groves/Oweh
Groves/Allick or J Groves small ball lineup.

I just think Cortes makes a jump.. I have high hopes and loved how he ran the team/court vision. This lineup makes Sherfield "the Guy" which maybe that's what he wants.. not sure.
I do think the ? comes down to Cortes/Uzan/Oweh on minutes.

Could be this lineup.
Cortes or Uzan
Sherfield/Noland
Joe B/Strong
Hill/Groves/Oweh

I just think Cortes makes a jump.. I have high hopes and loved how he ran the team/court vision. This lineup makes Sherfield "the Guy" which maybe that's what he wants.. not sure.

That would be one hell of a jump to go from incompetent backup to competent starter in one year.

Could be this lineup.
Cortes or Uzan
Sherfield/Noland
Joe B/Strong
Hill/Groves/Oweh

I just don't see it. Absolutely no reason to have Uzan, Noland, and Strong all on the bench. Cortes has the lowest ceiling of all the guards projected to be on the roster. I believe Sherfield wants to play point, but I'm not 100% on that. Also, Oweh is not a 4, he's a 2 or a 3.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1521882143907065856[/TWEET]

That would be one hell of a jump to go from incompetent backup to competent starter in one year.

Yeah, I’m not sold on Cortes as our starter at the point. I still say Uzan could move up in the rotation by conference time. I haven’t seen enough of Sherfield yet.

If Bijan finally lives up to the hype he got last season from a few here who saw him play in high school, I might change my mind about him. For now, though, I just don’t see it. He was too careless with the ball to suit me, and he didn’t seem to learn from the quick hook Porter used to get his attention. Guess we’ll see if he gets smarter in the off season.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...rtal-player-rankings-2022-247Sports-187173346

I mean… 35/53 is better than 62/86

That’s a dang good start.

Yes, but a) we don't yet have Sherfield (unless I missed the announcement) and b) getting those two guys and keeping Mo would be even better, no? That's why I was careful with my phrasing. Is every player we bring in going to be better than Mo? My guess is no, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

The poster I was responding to mentioned none of the players who are or might be coming in. He just expressed a desire to hit the Eject button on Mo, regardless of who we might be bringing in, which I think is ... odd. So far, we've lost Mason and Harkless and probably Mo and have just Bamisile to show for it (on the guard front). I'd be very pleased to have Bamisile and Sherfield as replacements for Harkless and Mason AND keep Mo. The decision is Mo's, of course, and we're probably a long shot at best to keep him, but the "good riddance" sentiments expressed in the post i was responding to make no sense to me.

From what I can gather here.... I could swing a dead cat in any direction and find someone better than Harkless.

Yes, but a) we don't yet have Sherfield (unless I missed the announcement) and b) getting those two guys and keeping Mo would be even better, no? That's why I was careful with my phrasing. Is every player we bring in going to be better than Mo? My guess is no, but I'd be very happy to be proven wrong.

The poster I was responding to mentioned none of the players who are or might be coming in. He just expressed a desire to hit the Eject button on Mo, regardless of who we might be bringing in, which I think is ... odd. So far, we've lost Mason and Harkless and probably Mo and have just Bamisile to show for it (on the guard front). I'd be very pleased to have Bamisile and Sherfield as replacements for Harkless and Mason AND keep Mo. The decision is Mo's, of course, and we're probably a long shot at best to keep him, but the "good riddance" sentiments expressed in the post i was responding to make no sense to me.

I think the poster you are referring to has gone overboard in his belief that Mo is part of the problem. I've been vocal in my belief that losing Harkless is not a blow to the team, but I don't get how anyone can think that Mo wouldn't be an asset. And I definitely understand your point here . . . while Sherfield and Bamisile would be very nice additions, the rest of the names we are linked to aren't better players than Mo. He is a more accomplished and better player than Strong and Allick, for example. It sounds like Mo coming back isn't a realistic possibility, but I don't think there is any question that a backcourt with him alongside Sherfield and Bamisile would be a major upgrade over what we had last year, and would be better than replacing him what any of the other names we are seeing.

From what I can gather here.... I could swing a dead cat in any direction and find someone better than Harkless.

As long as you are swinging said cat in a gym with decent pickup ball players, you will at least be able to find guys who can handle the ball better.

Why is this needed? Tell me I'm wrong on my statement. Moser didn't play him down the stretch for a reason. But I digress.

Well are you forgetting the stretch where he was better than Goldwire? He was a fr that struggled.. mentally and physically it seemed. Uzan will struggle as well. I'm high on Cortes is basically all I was saying.. I believe he can be a solid pg and or back up for us. He has elite vision/pure pg.. not sure about Uzan or Sherfield. If Sherfield is our PG great, I just think he may have to go out and score for us more than "run the team"

PG - Sherfield, Cortes
SG - Joe B, Noland
OG - Strong
PF - Hill, J. Groves
C - T. Groves, Allick

I think if we can close that group of 5, and throw in Godwin as a walk-on, it is definitely an upgraded roster from this past year. As you said, the freshman are better talent, especially better than the bench trio that are leaving, and no doubt we would upgrade on the perimeter, which is CRITICAL in Moser's 5 out offense.

We would have better ball-handling, scoring, and shooting, which no doubt would have made a difference in those 9 games we lost in the final minute or final possession.

And though I really liked Chag, I think a couple of games down the stretch have tainted what his impact on the team was all season. He averaged 2 APG and 3 RPG. He also played more like a SF than a true C. Hill was more of an inside presence than Chag. I liked his game and it was needed in a few games during the end of the season streak, but I think the potential incoming group could easily replace his numbers and impact. And as I have been saying since the season, we need guards/wings and scorers/shooters more than bangers to run Moser's offense correctly and efficiently.

You bring up a good point about spots and minutes. Someone will be unhappy and leave, but that is the state of college sports the last few years, only enhanced by the transfer rules from last year.

But usually, those that leave have been bypassed in performance or talent, or both, so if someone leaves because of a lack of PT or numbers, I am okay with it.

Well are you forgetting the stretch where he was better than Goldwire? He was a fr that struggled.. mentally and physically it seemed. Uzan will struggle as well. I'm high on Cortes is basically all I was saying.. I believe he can be a solid pg and or back up for us. He has elite vision/pure pg.. not sure about Uzan or Sherfield. If Sherfield is our PG great, I just think he may have to go out and score for us more than "run the team"

So like two games? Got it man. Down the stretch he was pretty bad, while Goldwire was even our go to guy (even though he shouldn't have been). I'm not high on him at all, and I've said as much.

Last edited:

Of course every player wont be as good as Gibson.

Trust me on Sherfield.

I didnt rank those guys. Some "expert did"

Back