Transfer Portal Thread

lol he can make high 6 figures at worst overseas ..

Is that true though? I’ve looked and have had a hard time getting financial info for International Leagues. No doubt the bigger leagues overseas pay quite well. But there are probably well over 1,000 college players leaving this year that all hope to make money playing ball. They aren’t all gonna land in major leagues making high six figures. As a matter of fact, I’d say very few will. I don’t know quite enough about the International pipeline to comment on this, but my initial reaction is that Gibson isn’t going to be the kind of player drawing a ton of interest. He’s super small and isn’t a PG. Not a playmaker really. Being a good three point shooter isn’t anything unique these days.

I’m sure he can latch on somewhere, but here is what I don’t know— if he isn’t able to catch on with a big league in Australia, Israel, Spain, etc… is he going to “make bank” in Thailand or Russia or wherever? I’ve read some stories over the years about American players overseas in the mid to lower leagues and it does NOT sound glamorous at all. More like a guy a in AA baseball trying to chase the dream— struggling to get by.

If Gibson has a high figure offer on the table… oh man, yes, go for it man. But if it’s more of a “just a job” type deal— I think there is probably more value in playing another year of high level D1 ball at a Jordan brand school.

Is that true though? I’ve looked and have had a hard time getting financial info for International Leagues. No doubt the bigger leagues overseas pay quite well. But there are probably well over 1,000 college players leaving this year that all hope to make money playing ball. They aren’t all gonna land in major leagues making high six figures. As a matter of fact, I’d say very few will. I don’t know quite enough about the International pipeline to comment on this, but my initial reaction is that Gibson isn’t going to be the kind of player drawing a ton of interest. He’s super small and isn’t a PG. Not a playmaker really. Being a good three point shooter isn’t anything unique these days.

I’m sure he can latch on somewhere, but here is what I don’t know— if he isn’t able to catch on with a big league in Australia, Israel, Spain, etc… is he going to “make bank” in Thailand or Russia or wherever? I’ve read some stories over the years about American players overseas in the mid to lower leagues and it does NOT sound glamorous at all. More like a guy a in AA baseball trying to chase the dream— struggling to get by.

If Gibson has a high figure offer on the table… oh man, yes, go for it man. But if it’s more of a “just a job” type deal— I think there is probably more value in playing another year of high level D1 ball at a Jordan brand school.

ace McGee was making over 500k in south korea long ago

i guess i should alter my post to "mid" 6 figures .. 400k + is pretty common

ace McGee was making over 500k in south korea long ago

I get it more for a guy like McGee or Doolittle. Have some size, at least on outskirts of NBA radar, etc. Maybe I’m underselling Mo, but just seems like he would be viewed as a dime a dozen.

I think Mo showed in the latter part of the season that he has more ability to create than was thought. He had many impressive plays that weren't threes. It's one reason I very much (for selfish reasons) hope he returns.

And he scored more than 25 points several times against quality competition. No "dime a dozen" player does that.

I get it more for a guy like McGee or Doolittle. Have some size, at least on outskirts of NBA radar, etc. Maybe I’m underselling Mo, but just seems like he would be viewed as a dime a dozen.
Yep. Size is the ultimate hindrance here. He's like the poor man's Hollis Price; just way too small to move the needle at all for scouts in the Association.

I think Mo showed in the latter part of the season that he has more ability to create than was thought. He had many impressive plays that weren't threes. It's one reason I very much (for selfish reasons) hope he returns.

And he scored more than 25 points several times against quality competition. No "dime a dozen" player does that.

Depends on who you are asking. A top level league in Australia that produces NBA talent on the regular? Yeah, I don’t think Mo is going to turn heads for them. A mid to lower tier league somewhere? Maybe.

Every summer when I watch TBT, it reinforces how many great players there are who aren't even good enough to catch on with an NBA roster. There are great players all over the world. I really hope Mo comes back for selfish reasons. He is a very good shooter and closed the season playing the best, most consistent ball of his career. But I don't know that it's a given that he will be able to play in one of the premier overseas leagues. If he were three or four inches taller, it would be a game changer.

Depends on who you are asking. A top level league in Australia that produces NBA talent on the regular? Yeah, I don’t think Mo is going to turn heads for them. A mid to lower tier league somewhere? Maybe.

I'm not saying he'll be a superstar overseas or play in a top league. I'm saying he's not "dime a dozen" or as limited a playmaker as some claim.

Whoa

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1507410581556502541[/TWEET]

I'll just assume that OU has reached out or will lol. Probably not a winnable recruitment, sadly.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TheMacIrvinFire/status/1507417051106885640[/TWEET]

NIL isn't the only thing the NCAA needs to reign in. The free transfer stuff is nuts too. They should care because it's making their product less enticing to a lot of folks.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1507442249931816960[/TWEET]

South Carolina transfer guard Erik Stevenson is visiting West Virginia today/etc.

Northwestern State transfer F/C Kendal Coleman is visiting Memphis today. He's been contacted by OU.

South Carolina transfer guard Erik Stevenson is visiting West Virginia today/etc.

Northwestern State transfer F/C Kendal Coleman is visiting Memphis today. He's been contacted by OU.

Man, if Stevenson leaves, he will be playing for his fourth school.

NIL isn't the only thing the NCAA needs to reign in. The free transfer stuff is nuts too. They should care because it's making their product less enticing to a lot of folks.

I agree. I thought the free transfer was a one time thing and was going to be temporary. It’s really hurting the game when top players leave every year for greener pastures. They need to end the free for all transfers. Go back to making them sit for a year.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1507457495387803649[/TWEET]

Another kid who OU has made contact with

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/status/1507465250978746369[/TWEET]

Back