Transfer Portal Thread

Yet he couldn’t start on a team that finished 19–16. It’s preposterous to say the above. I can’t think of a single team he would start for other than Kansas State.

My bad, I meant Tanner.

We gotta win on this one.

I agree. Hopefully the fact that we're not hearing about going after any other posts(at least I haven't) is a good sign. Or, it could mean we're just screwed and there's nobody worth taking left. Moser and his staff have recruited well so far(at least guards) but I can't believe we're sweating a 3 horse race between us New Mexico and BYU. What is the world coming to.

It may be.....Northweather time!

My bad, I meant Tanner.

You really think he'd start at Baylor, Texas, Kansas, or Tech? We see him much differently if that's the case.

He's a good, solid role player at the Power 5 level, imo.

Tanner is just good enough that he's not easy to find a better replacement, but not quite good enough that you feel great about him in the starting lineup.

Tanner is just good enough that he's not easy to find a better replacement, but not quite good enough that you feel great about him in the starting lineup.

Yes. He matches up ok against some teams and is a liability against others A pretty good offensive guy. He needs an athletic goon type guy to counter him on the roster.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/allick_josiah/status/1525989430837886976[/TWEET]

Uhg. Wasn’t too concerned. At first. Now? I mean, are we just being outbid or what?

What the actual.....

Here I am wanting to compete with blue bloods to get bigs and we get beat out by New Mexico? LOL. Hmm

Do these other coaches have some sort of ammo on Moser and bigs? What's the deal? New Mexico?

I'll start out by saying I have no real idea if Allick would have made an impact at OU. He very well might have. Good luck to him. But here's my opinion:

I wonder if this is a case of OU almost recruiting too low. He's very much like Hill and Jacob Groves. Same size, skill set, etc. Kind of a tweener. And the team needs a banger. A real big man who is athletic enough to compete with bigs from the Big 12. He doesn't have to score much, but be able to get rebounds and defend. And I don't think Allick is that guy. Something tells me he wants to have the ball in his hands more and score. Something tells me New Mexico probably has an instant spot for him. At OU, he would have to compete with Hill, the Grove Brothers, AND potentially the kid from Germany (don't want to misspell his name) for minutes. So I'm not worried that OU missed on Allick. I don't think he's what OU needs this year. He can go to a mid-major, have an instant spot, and play a tonne. Maybe he just didn't want to play in the Big 12. My concern is that OU was even interested in him. That shows that there may not be much out there.

Moser and company doesn't have problems landing big men. They don't.

The staff has brought in alot of big men: Tanner Groves, Chagois, Mawein, Godwin, and Northweather.

It may be weird to fans but maybe guys DON'T want to have to come in and compete with Tanner Groves for the starting spot. I don't know. But I don't think the problem is Moser's inability to recruit big men.

Wrap up Sherfield and Walker's commitment, then try for one more guy. Be it a real big man who's ready to play or another scoring guard. Then let's go.

Last edited:
I'll start out by saying I have no real idea if Allick would have made an impact at OU. He very well might have. Good luck to him. But here's my opinion:

I wonder if this is a case of OU almost recruiting too low. He's very much like Hill and Jacob Groves. Same size, skill set, etc. Kind of a tweener. And the team needs a banger. A real big man who is athletic enough to compete with bigs from the Big 12. He doesn't have to score much, but be able to get rebounds and defend. And I don't think Allick is that guy. Something tells me he wants to have the ball in his hands more and score. Something tells me New Mexico probably has an instant spot for him. At OU, he would have to compete with Hill, the Grove Brothers, AND potentially the kid from Germany (don't want to misspell his name) for minutes. So I'm not worried that OU missed on Allick. I don't think he's what OU needs this year. He can go to a mid-major, have an instant spot, and play a tonne. Maybe he just didn't want to play in the Big 12. My concern is that OU was even interested in him. That shows that there may not be much out there.

The staff has brought in alot of big men: Tanner Groves, Chagois, Mawein, Godwin, and Northweather.

It may be weird to fans but maybe guys DON'T want to have to come in and compete with Tanner Groves for the starting spot. I don't know. But I don't think the problem is Moser's inability to recruit big men.

Wrap up Sherfield and Walker's commitment, then try for one more guy. Be it a real big man who's ready to play or another scoring guard. Then let's go.

Def agree with your take on this umkc kid. I live in kc… they aren’t good not thinking he’s true top big12 material.

I do though that if moser was recruiting him it does reflect staffs lack of ability in getting HIGH quality bigs.. but we’ll see

Again, this is a strawman because the question is whether we are better with the new guys than with Mo and EJ. Jacob only came up because someone suggested we would have made the tourney with Harkless, which is a patently ridiculous take if you actually watched how the season progressed with and without him last year. As for advanced analytics, I wonder what they say about a guard who is a poor shooter and a downright atrocious ball handler and passer. I personally think we will survive just fine without his 10 points and 20 terrible decisions per game, despite his so-called leadership.

Eh. I was just making a point, which you clearly ignored. Jacob was atrocious the majority of the season, besides a game or two.

At this point right now, I'm not 100% sure we're a better team than we were last year. We have no backup big. Our PG situation on paper isn't the best. We're depending on Freshmen. Granted, 2 are talented and 1 is a wild card. But still. Plus, the two guys that have to ask for waivers could be denied for all we know. If Harkless and Gibson stay, and the ones asking for waivers get their waivers. Yeah, we're better than last year. But right now? Not so sure.

Thinking Harkless was worse than Groves last year is well a "bad take."

Def agree with your take on this umkc kid. I live in kc… they aren’t good not thinking he’s true top big12 material.

I do though that if moser was recruiting him it does reflect staffs lack of ability in getting HIGH quality bigs.. but we’ll see

Yeah, it's pretty telling the lack of decent-good bigs we've been able or not able in this instance to recruit this offseason.

I’m not worried about losing out on allick. I don’t think he’s a Big12 player anyway. The troubling thing is apparently we wanted him and lost out to New Mexico. Ouch.

I don’t want this staff chasing players that can’t cut it in the Big12. I love the recruiting class of HS players we have coming in. The transfer portal has been hit and miss. We definitely need more hits instead of just bringing in bodies. Sherfield and basmile are wins. The rest has been less than inspiring.

Eh. I was just making a point, which you clearly ignored. Jacob was atrocious the majority of the season, besides a game or two.

At this point right now, I'm not 100% sure we're a better team than we were last year. We have no backup big. Our PG situation on paper isn't the best. We're depending on Freshmen. Granted, 2 are talented and 1 is a wild card. But still. Plus, the two guys that have to ask for waivers could be denied for all we know. If Harkless and Gibson stay, and the ones asking for waivers get their waivers. Yeah, we're better than last year. But right now? Not so sure.

Thinking Harkless was worse than Groves last year is well a "bad take."

Again, no one on the board has argued in any post that Jacob had a better season than Harkless. So you can keep debating this, but you’ll be debating yourself.

I mean, that is certainly the "the glass is half full" outlook.

If they watched any OU basketball at all why would they worry about Tanner Groves? He's an average big man, barely Big 12 level. He's slow and not very athletic. He's a pretty good shooter from the top of the key and he's fairly skilled around the basket against smaller players, but other than that he's average.

If they watched any OU basketball at all why would they worry about Tanner Groves? He's an average big man, barely Big 12 level. He's slow and not very athletic. He's a pretty good shooter from the top of the key and he's fairly skilled around the basket against smaller players, but other than that he's average.

At least Tanner knows his issues. Hopefully he's in the gym, or court working on his game as I type this.

Back