Transfer Portal Thread

If they watched any OU basketball at all why would they worry about Tanner Groves? He's an average big man, barely Big 12 level. He's slow and not very athletic. He's a pretty good shooter from the top of the key and he's fairly skilled around the basket against smaller players, but other than that he's average.

Moser said it himself, one of the first things transfer players ask is: "Will I get the ball in my hands more?" Maybe Moser has a tough time answering that for the big men OU needs. Because of Tanner.

I just don't think we would have landed Northweather if Moser just couldn't recruit big men. Missouri was after the kid and he's from Missouri. Wisconsin was after him and Wisconsin is a proven big man developer. Northweather may not prove to be much, but I think it was impressive that Moser was able to get him.

Last edited:
I mean, that is certainly the "the glass is half full" outlook.

I wouldn't say that. Imo it's not good that we even targeted Allick.

It's pretty obvious OU is the better school than New Mexico. Money from NIL, play in the toughest conference in all of basketball, consistently puts guys into the league, legit chance of making the tournament every year, etc. We also know Moser connects well with kids. So I think that leaves playing time as the reason for him not choosing OU. Or maybe he knows how brutal the Big 12 is and doesn't want to mess with that. I don't know forsure. But I don't think it's Moser or the university.

Sherfield is choosing OU over Gonzaga (assuming he got an offer). Same thing. Gonzaga is a better basketball school forsure. But he would be the man at OU. That's what I would think the draw would be.

Just my two cents. I've been wrong before.

Last edited:
Moser said it himself, one of the first things transfer players ask is: "Will I get the ball in my hands more?" Maybe Moser has a tough time answering that for the big men OU needs. Because of Tanner.

I just don't think we would have landed Northweather if Moser just couldn't recruit big men. Missouri was after the kid and he's from Missouri. Wisconsin was after him and Wisconsin is a proven big man developer. Northweather may not prove to be much, but I think it was impressive that Moser was able to land him.

You think getting a 0 star rated player (on some platforms) was an impressive get? I think Northweather will take two years minimum before even making an average impact.

That's certainly a glass half full take.

You think getting a 0 star rated player (on some platforms) was an impressive get? I think Northweather will take two years minimum before even making an average impact.

I think taking him from Missouri and Wisconsin is impressive. I stated my reasons why. As far as his skill level. I don't know. Time will tell.

I wouldn't say that. Imo it's not good that we even targeted Allick.

It's pretty obvious OU is the better school than New Mexico. Money from NIL, play in the toughest conference in all of basketball, consistently puts guys into the league, legit chance of making the tournament every year, etc. We also know Moser connects well with kids. So I think that leaves playing time as the reason for him not choosing OU. Or maybe he knows how brutal the Big 12 is and doesn't want to mess with that. I don't know forsure. But I don't think it's Moser or the university.

Sherfield is choosing OU over Gonzaga (assuming he got an offer). Same thing. Gonzaga is a better basketball school forsure. But he would be the man at OU. That's what I would think the draw would be.

Just my two cents. I've been wrong before.

My glass half full comment was mostly in response to your comment that Moser and company don't have issues landing big men.

I mean, I guess if you are just saying that from a numbers stand-point, without regards to recruiting rankings or skill, I might have to agree. But let's look at the big men he has brought in so far:

T. Groves - Solid. Definitely a good get at the time last year. I'm hoping he is vastly improved this year.

Chargois - Also solid. Backup. One year. Was looking to play "near home".

Mawein - I mean, showed a little bit of upside, but gone after one year, and probably not a big loss (backed up by where he ended up).

Godwin - Upside is decent player off the bench. No star player out of HS. Three star transfer. More of a "works hard" type than an athletic or skilled player.

Northweather - Hardly even rated by most services. 247 gave him a 3* rating. Going to need time to develop, and even if he does, he is probably more of a 4 than a 5 given his build.

I have no problem with kids like Godwin and Northweather being on an OU roster. But if either of them are being counted on to do much early in their careers (especially Northweather), that isn't good.

You kind of made my point for me when you talked about the guards Moser has brought in. On paper, they've been CONSIDERABLY better than the bigs he has brought in. We didn't even get much of a look from most of the bigs. Some of that is b/c most figure Groves is the starter. Allick isn't about NIL, it's about playing time. Not sure why everybody jumps to NIL every time we lose a player or miss out on one. Even Mo isn't about NIL. It's about him being told that his only ticket to the NBA or high level professional ball is to be a point guard.

ALL of Moser's success as a college HC has come with Krutwig as his starting center. Think about that.

lol.... Josiah Allick. We got into a bid war for a UMKC Kangaroo with New Mexico and lost. That's the state of OU basketball right now. They lost Harkless to UNLV... Umoja flat out said he didn't think he could reach his goals while at OU. OU's peers are all getting better, and OU isn't.

Porter is making the same mistakes that Capel and Kruger made... OU basketball won't fundamentally change until the fixes are made. OU has issues that need to be fixed in recruiting, roster management, and scheduling.

I could fix it... easily.

lol.... Josiah Allick. We got into a bid war for a UMKC Kangaroo with New Mexico and lost. That's the state of OU basketball right now. They lost Harkless to UNLV... Umoja flat out said he didn't think he could reach his goals while at OU. OU's peers are all getting better, and OU isn't.

Porter is making the same mistakes that Capel and Kruger made... OU basketball won't fundamentally change until the fixes are made. OU has issues that need to be fixed in recruiting, roster management, and scheduling.

Lol.

Wait I have more to say…. Lololololololol

He is a 3 star on the 2 best recruiting eval websites (rivals and 24/7). He was Missouri player of the year with some solid offers. Unsure how he will turn out but he was a solid recruiting win for ou hoops. Given that Ou is probably the cleanest major program in the country, we aren’t ever going to sign high end big men with any regularity.

ummmm ..... hahahahaahahah lololololololol

He is a 3 star on the 2 best recruiting eval websites (rivals and 24/7). He was Missouri player of the year with some solid offers. Unsure how he will turn out but he was a solid recruiting win for ou hoops. Given that Ou is probably the cleanest major program in the country, we aren’t ever going to sign high end big men with any regularity.

Thank you. Becoming player of the year in any state is a big deal. He may not turn out to be Big 12 quality but many players aren't. But you can't fault Moser for going after him.

Zero star composite on 247. And here:https://www.on3.com/db/luke-northweather-154482/

Maybe my glass half full outlook isn't correct, but this certainly isn't a good take either.

How will we ever recover from losing a guy from the west coast who wanted to move closer to home and had no P5 schools interested?

As for Mo, apparently he is finding that not many other P5 programs have much interest in him being the lead guard. If DePaul or a similar program is willing to let him play point and that is his main goal, do you think Moser should have just caved and made a decision that wouldn't have been best for the program just to get him to stay?

Yes the composite factors in other small recruiting budget websites like espn and on3, etc. The large budget sites of 24/7 and rivals rank him a 3 star. They are by far the best recruiting sites. On3 and espn have tiny recruiting budgets comparatively, especially for hoops.

I get it. And I agree. Still, usually the other small budget sites have something on a player but they don't on him.

How will we ever recover from losing a guy from the west coast who wanted to move closer to home and had no P5 schools interested?

As for Mo, apparently he is finding that not many other P5 programs have much interest in him being the lead guard. If DePaul or a similar program is willing to let him play point and that is his main goal, do you think Moser should have just caved and made a decision that wouldn't have been best for the program just to get him to stay?

Yes, I kinda thought is was common knowledge that he was spooked off by the thought of sharing minutes with Sherfield at the point. "Reach my goals," probably means: "I won't play as much point at OU as I should to be able to get into the NBA."

I will email the plan to Joe C... Expect some results soon.

Why has Sherfield not gone public? That would really help right about now.

If he's so locked in, why not say so?

Back