Two visitors scheduled to be in Norman this weekend

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
William Jennings just phoned in to report that sources are indicating that Shawn Long, a 6-foot-10 big man from Morgan City, La. and Dan Jennings, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound transfer from West Virginia, will be in Norman this weekend for official visits.

Long, who has already visited Mississippi State officially, has been talked about some in this thread. Also see the bottom of this post for some video highlights.

Jennings, who is originally from Staten Island, N.Y. and played his senior season of high school at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, averaged 2.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in 14 games (including four starts) this past season as a sophomore at West Virginia before leaving the team in January.

Should he transfer to OU, Jennings would have to sit out next year before becoming eligible to play as a junior for the 2012-13 season.

Here is more bio information on Jennings prior to this season from a West Virginia site:

Saw action in 22 games as a freshman … signed with West Virginia during the early-signing period in 2008 … combines great size with a tremendous thirst to get better … outstanding size and bulk … plays extremely hard … should develop into one of the premier rebounders in the BIG EAST … ranked as the 23rd-best center in the 2009 class by Scout.com.

At West Virginia (2009-10): Played in 22 games, averaging 4.6 minutes per contest … averaged 1.5 points and 1.6 rebounds per game … shot 50 percent from the field … had eight blocks … scored nine points and grabbed 12 rebounds vs. Loyola (Md.) ... scored eight points against Long Beach State ... had four rebounds against Coppin State ... had three points vs. Rutgers ... four points at Notre Dame ... two blocks at UConn ... two points and four rebounds vs. Cincinnati ... three points vs. Morgan State.

In High School: Played for coach Jere Quinn at St. Thomas More School in Connecticut … averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds last year … started and scored 12 points and grabbed five rebounds in the Jordan Brand Classic regional contest in April … averaged 10 points and seven rebounds per game at Oak Hill Academy … transferred to Oak Hill Academy from Bishop Loughlin High in Brooklyn, N.Y., for his junior season … played AAU basketball for the New York Gauchos with current point guard Darryl Bryant … won MVP honors at Oak Hill Academy at the Prime Time Shootout.

Here are some videos of Long:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwswWkDBuj0&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRuLUFNVU4A[/ame]

Here are some videos of Jennings:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjG0m46jFd4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVFH8gRj97A[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcScYPjFG0w[/ame]

Hmm.....

Jennings scares me a bit b/c of his attitude, and complete lack of production in two years. That said, I'm still on the "if LK wants him, I want him" boat, until proven wrong.

I'm more intrigued with the Long kid, for several reasons. Class balance being one of them. LK sure is going hard after big men.

The Long kid is listed in his own videos as either 6'7" or 6'10"...I'll be curious to see how tall he really is. For sure it seems we are loading up on post players, but why wouldn't we? We were terrible in the paint.

The Long kid is listed in his own videos as either 6'7" or 6'10"...I'll be curious to see how tall he really is. For sure it seems we are loading up on post players, but why wouldn't we? We were terrible in the paint.

Just got an update from William, who says a good source is saying that Long is indeed 6-10 now.

Fortunately, the video that lists him as 6'7 was from the 2009-10 season, his junior year.

Isn't this the kid that quit in the middle of a game, or something like that?

Edit: referring to Jennings, not Long

Just got an update from a good source that he is indeed 6-10 now.

If that is true, and he can shoot it some, he is the kid I'd rather have. Let him redshirt next year, or play sparingly, and he should be a kid that can contribute as a sophmore-senior.

Nice find LK. :clap

With Thompson and Hardrick out LK could sign both. Not sure why he would, but he could.

Just got an update from William, who says a good source is saying that Long is indeed 6-10 now.

Okay, then unless there are character issues or something else, that kid is a good enough athlete to play at the B12 level IMHO.

Long is very raw but we would take him in a heart beat. He has a very nice shot for a big guy and is athletic.

We know from LK's time at UNLV that he really like transfers. I think he has shown ability to get guys who are unmotivated in their current situation to achieve their potential on his teams. I would love to land Jennings. Either Long or Jennings would be great gets this late in the recruiting period.

We know from LK's time at UNLV that he really like transfers. I think he has shown ability to get guys who are unmotivated in their current situation to achieve their potential on his teams. I would love to land Jennings. Either Long or Jennings would be great gets this late in the recruiting period.

When LK got hired this was one of the things that was discussed by some they said he's a "bounce back" recruiter meaning that he loves transfers and finding guys that don't work out one place and want to transfer in. It sure seems that way so far.

If I'm not mistaken, Jennings will be eligible to play to start the 2nd semester before conference play begins.

I'm with WT, if he is really 6'10, with or without shoes on, I would prefer the long kid. No telling what he could become in time.

However, if we have two schollies to give, and jennings is as big as reported, I wouldn't mind Lon taking him as well, provided, as reported, he can play the second semester next year. If he has to sit, then I'm not sure unless the coaches he is a difference maker.

You get the feeling that Lon likes these transfers. I wonder if it is because they are easier to discipline and manage since, practically, they can't transfer again to another D-1. I wonder if he has found that high school superstars have egos difficult to manage, but having tasted failure, are more amenable to little coaching. Has anyone ever heard Lon talk about his affinity for D-1 transfers and what did he say?

I'm willing to give the Jennings kid the benefit of the doubt, Huggins is pretty hard on his players and sometimes that is hard to take as a 19/20 year old. That said, would be curious to get a WVU fans perspective on what happened. I'd also feel better if he made more of his dunks ;-)

I'm interested in both. If anyone can work with a kid like Jennings then I would think that an experienced staff like Krugers would be able to help straighten him out if needed.

Thanks for the scoop, WJ. :clap

Back