What will it take to get to the NIT at this point?

Sooner23

Reaction score
We're 13-12 now with two Mission Impossible road games and three at home against Top 25 teams. Does taking two of three at home and 15-15 get us into the NIT? Do we have to win out at home and get to 16-14? Or is that not even enough at this point?

We're 13-12 now with two Mission Impossible road games and three at home against Top 25 teams. Does taking two of three at home and 15-15 get us into the NIT? Do we have to win out at home and get to 16-14? Or is that not even enough at this point?

Possibly, especially if the Big XII gets 7 teams into the NCAA.

I think if they grant Blake Griffin eligibility to finish out the season with this squad we could make the NIT.....maybe.

I say 17-15 gets us in. We'll need to root for conference regular season champs to win their conference tournaments.

Post season is the last thing this team should be thinking about.

In the spirit of the Winter Games hire Herb Brooks as a special consultant and hope for The Miracle on the Hardwood.

The only reason OU should be in post-season play is if they win the Big 12 tournament. And we all know the chances of that happening!

We have to get to 7-9 to have even a prayer of getting in. Even that won't do it without AT LEAST 1 conf tourney win, if not 2. 6-10 and there's just no way.

To get in the NIT, 6-10 in the toughest RPI league in the land with a lot of top 50 wins will probably get us in.

That said, who's excited about a NIT or CBI run?

I just want to sleep until football season so we can start this whole thing over...

6-10 would give us a regular season record of 15-15. There is no way that is getting us into the NIT.

This is why the bowl arrangement is dying a long death. How much better did you feel about OU's football season because they beat a pedestrian Stanford season? There is little to nothing this OU basketball team can do to make you feel better about the season.

This is why the bowl arrangement is dying a long death. How much better did you feel about OU's football season because they beat a pedestrian Stanford season? There is little to nothing this OU basketball team can do to make you feel better about the season.

Honestly? Much better. lol

6-10 doesn't cut it. I believe you have to be over .500 anyway. Secondly, if we got 6-10, I don't see us winning a game in the Big 12 Tournament, and we'd be below .500 in that case. Now that they have a selection committee and everything, I doubt that we'll get much of a benefit for being more talented then some teams on the NIT bubble.

One thing to remember is that the NIT, now owned by the NCAA, is more about making money than anything else. Since they play at some team's home courts they will look for places which will draw a crowd and cause people to tune in to tv. In that case, OU's history, rep and our alums being scattered across the country might count for one win.

Tomorrow will tell us whether this team's biggest issue is road games or something more pervasive.

True that's not really the case anymore. It was the case BEFORE the tournament was acquired by the NCAA. Now I believe the nit field is chosen using the same process as the NCAA tournament.

OU needs at least four more wins to get in the NIT IMO. Last year, the worst record for any NIT team was 16-14 by Georgetown, but they were ranked in the top 25 for most of the season (top 10 at one point, I think). They also played the #1 SOS in the nation. OU's schedule isn't that bad, but at 50 it's not going to do you any big favors, either.

A major conference team with 17+ wins has a shot at the NIT, but it's far from a guarantee. OU is probably on the outside looking in at this point. But based on what I've read here about how unresponsive this team is to Capel's coaching, it might not be a bad thing to just get the year over with and move on with whatever is necessary to get things fixed.

Back