#16 OU vs #15 texas 8pm CST on ESPN

been watching OU ball for a long while now and I will have to say playing Vic over Kur in the 1st half is one on the more inexplicable decisions I have seen.

lol...ya show up at the last minute to say that?

When reaves had the ball with his head down, kur had the kid on his front hip...NOTHING between him and the goal.

but ok..not a good pass.

Serious question...you ever play or coached ball? Even rec ball

Played and coached

Brady's minutes should be weird. He is forced to play interior defense against everyone. That is a disadvantage against most of the teams we play except if he is scoring well (like the 2nd OSU game). But at some point, you have to change it up when he become more of a liability than an asset (like tonight)....but it can be tricky. And I'm sick of getting our asses kicked on the boards lately as well. I thought Lon waited way too long to make the switch tonight. We might have won had he done it earlier in the game. But it's easier for me to say in hindsight.

I haven’t understood his minutes in any of those games. He is trying his best but he is just not comfortable there against bigger guys and it is obvious. That is on LK. Even in second game against OSU I believe it was a slight negative overall. I think the beating he takes trying to defend every possession eventually takes a toll on his shooting. LK leaves him there too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

been watching OU ball for a long while now and I will have to say playing Vic over Kur in the 1st half is one on the more inexplicable decisions I have seen.

Good take.

The kur situation is mind boggling.... And I don't blame him at all for leaving for the program.

Good take.

The kur situation is mind boggling.... And I don't blame him at all for leaving for the program.

Lol he is a senior who has been in college for five years, is a million miles from home, and needs to start making money for his family. But yea, pretend as if he made the decision two weeks ago to “leave the program” because he was unhappy with playing time.

Starters should be:

Reaves
Harmon
Williams
Manek
Kuath

A lot of minutes:

Gibson
Hark

Some minutes:

Hill

Few/none:

Vic

My lineup would be:

point: Harmon
Wings: Reaves and Williams
Power F: Hill
Center: Kauth

Backup center: Manek and Vic

Backup wings: Gibson and Harkless

Backup point: Reaves

Backup PF: Manek

The minutes would change depending upon who we were playing and how a kid was playing.

My lineup would be:

point: Harmon
Wings: Reaves and Williams
Power F: Hill
Center: Kauth

Backup center: Manek and Vic

Backup wings: Gibson and Harkless

Backup point: Reaves

Backup PF: Manek

The minutes would change depending upon who we were playing and how a kid was playing.

I think you need more offensive fire power than what's contained in that line up. Having Kur, Jalen and Alondes on the floor at the same time is just asking for trouble from an offensive perspective.

There is exactly one team in the league where you could play Kur and Brady together for significant minutes and not get killed. And even in that scenario, you’d have Brady guarding Greg Brown. It is truly mind blowing that anyone who has watched this season closely can legitimately argue that the benefits of a two big lineup outweigh the negatives. Maybe you get a couple more rebounds. You also lose a ton of quickness and will get destroyed on the perimeter, plus you give up lots of offense, unless Brady is white hot.

There is exactly one team in the league where you could play Kur and Brady together for significant minutes and not get killed. And even in that scenario, you’d have Brady guarding Greg Brown. It is truly mind blowing that anyone who has watched this season closely can legitimately argue that the benefits of a two big lineup outweigh the negatives. Maybe you get a couple more rebounds. You also lose a ton of quickness and will get destroyed on the perimeter, plus you give up lots of offense, unless Brady is white hot.

I thought it was pretty clear that people, myself included, said you would have to play zone defense with Kur and Brady on the floor.

I thought it was pretty clear that people, myself included, said you would have to play zone defense with Kur and Brady on the floor.

People seem to think that anyone can just play zone and do it reasonably well. There is a reason why there are only a few teams are known for being great zone teams. And given how many people complain about our inability to block out and defend the three, I can only imagine how we would do in those areas playing zone. If you are talking about playing them together a few minutes a game, maybe. But many people think this should be our starting lineup. That would require a major overhaul 20 games into the season, and we don't have the length that most good zone teams have.

People seem to think that anyone can just play zone and do it reasonably well. There is a reason why there are only a few teams are known for being great zone teams. And given how many people complain about our inability to block out and defend the three, I can only imagine how we would do in those areas playing zone. If you are talking about playing them together a few minutes a game, maybe. But many people think this should be our starting lineup. That would require a major overhaul 20 games into the season, and we don't have the length that most good zone teams have.

This has been hashed and rehashed. In football would you rather your defense be faced with a 3rd and 2 or a 3rd and 10? Same applies to basketball for you try to make it more difficult than less difficult ,thus you try to force the opposing offense to take shots which have less probability of being made shots. So, in this case you push the shots out further and further from the rim as opposed to closer and closer. This is why some of us believe a zone would be more effective.

This has been hashed and rehashed. In football would you rather your defense be faced with a 3rd and 2 or a 3rd and 10? Same applies to basketball for you try to make it more difficult than less difficult ,thus you try to force the opposing offense to take shots which have less probability of being made shots. So, in this case you push the shots out further and further from the rim as opposed to closer and closer. This is why some of us believe a zone would be more effective.

Not an apt comparison. In football, whether a team converts third and short or third and long, the result is the same. In basketball, a three hurts you more than a two. There is a reason every team in the NBA, and, increasingly, college, gears their offense toward getting two shots: layups and threes. And your theory still doesn't account for whether we have the personnel to play zone effectively. Anyone can play zone. But if you give up lots of open threes, teams will burn you more often than not in this era.

Back