Big Twelve

The game has changed. When Sherri broke in it was the difference between apples and oranges. There was a huge gap between the haves and have nots. Sherri did a good job of improving our team to final four and elite eight status. But that gap is less now but still not as thin as on the men's side. We can probably pick two or three of the final four in the womans game but on the men's side the bluebloods are getting it handed to them by some of the have nots. We have to expect that some of them will get to the final four but just as easily miss on all four if we predict today.

Coincidently, Those years when there was a big gap was when Sherri had her greatest success. Now that there are more good woman players and women's coaches she has not had the same level of success. We clearly have slipped a notch or two lower.

It is hard to predict our future. Recruiting is encouraging after two years of almost zero results. Sherri usually gets her team going after the end of the first semester and appears to have done it again this year. Recent play is encouraging.

We seem to get players who are ok but not the top tier that the likes of UConn, Notre Dame, Texas and Baylor bring in. I think Ana is an exception and maybe two or three of next years freshmen will also be.

My concern is the lack of information on anyone working hard to improve their game like Buddy and Cousins did. Also who since DRob has improved significantly from their freshman to senior years. I don't know if Sherri is still using the men in practice but every minute they are on the floor is a minute that five women are not getting valuable practice time.

I don't know how hard we went after transfers but this was the year to bring in transfers. Particularly after Dungee and Mulkey departed.

Syb, I think in fairness we are looking at apples and oranges particularly when you look at total careers of the respective coaches. If you just look at the last 5 years it is closer but I think there is still more parity with the men.

Last edited:
NC, in the first place, the comparison was on the way different sexes are evaluated, the standards used for the different sexes, something that we should have grown past.

I realize that we aren't pushing for the Final Four. It is interesting that we do beat teams, like Washington, on their home court, only to have them make the Final Four. It was a blow to recruit two highly-rated players, only to have them transfer. I am encouraged by the people that we have brought in this year. The signees for next year are yet more intriguing. Is this a program in decline, or is it once again on the rise? We already have a pretty sure top 100 prospect likely for 2019, and we could have a very nice program in a couple of years with one more decent class.

Despite the down years, we have made the NCAAs. Hope we do this year. Having the fourth or fifth longest streak in the nation isn't exactly chopped liver.

I think we probably need to recognize the achievements that Sherri has had and give her a little more respect. She seems to have a lot more respect nationally than here. I think Geno, who is #1, made a significant statement when he said she does it the right way. I don't remember his exact statement, but it was something to the effect is that she is what college basketball should be. I doubt he would ever say that about Kim, and I wonder if the college coaches would ever elect her to the Hall of Fame as a coach.

I think Sherri has earned the right to be respected. We had criticism of her when she was still making the Final Four. Some wanted to bring Bo Overton back, suggesting that he had been responsible for her success. The down years have been an opportunity to criticize.

I think it might be more entertaining to see what Ana, Shaina, Madison Williams, Nydia Lampkin, Taylor Robertson, and Aspen Williston might put together. Two or three more good ones, and I don't really care what others recruit. Given equal or comparable talent, I'll take Sherri over any coach not named Geno.

Actually, my point included that the decision-makers had been correct. If you wanted to have a discussion with a winner, the opening statement was not the most productive. You indicated that I was comparing apples and oranges.

We had spent a lot of years with apples and oranges, the apples having the opportunity to participate in sports. Finally, we made it clear that we had matured enough as a society to provide equal opportunity, i.e., Title IX. Finally, there was no recognized distinction between apples and oranges.

Unfortunately, some decided to ignore that and made that distinction again, cancelling the program. The public outcry informed them that they could no longer distinguish between apples and oranges. They are to be treated equally.

When you try to evaluate them differently by stating that it is the difference between apples and oranges, it refers us back to the time during which we distinguished between apples and oranges or to the attitudes that led to the cancellation. Rinse and repeat. It's probably time to give a firm wash to the attitudes which think it is acceptable to distinguish between apples and oranges.

Equal opportunity for both men and women competing at OU has long been on par with each other in Norman. The dropping of the WBB program occurred in March of 1990. Many actions have been taken by OU to rectify that mistake. It is past time to dwell on what occurred better than 28 years ago. Our focus needs to be on the future.

That includes fielding the best and most competitive team possible in all sports. Because of history some teams have a far greater opportunity for success than do others. OU WBB is one of those team that has a greater opportunity because of their tradition as a top national program. In recent years we have fallen short of that traditional success. That needs to change. Hopefully Sherri can again get the job done.

BAYLOR

121 Lamar 62
100 Coppin State 54
86 Central Arkansas 55
68 UCLA 82 LOSS
100 Missouri State 58 Junkando Jam
80 Georgia Tech 57 Junkando Jam
90 Kentucky 63
81 Stanford 57
105 North Dakota 43
95 McNeese 34
85 at Nichols 43

10-1
88 at Kansas State 58
97 Texas Tech 49
Iowa State
at Kansas

IOWA STATE

81 South Dakota 76
53 at Northern Iowa 57 LOSS
61 UMKC 45
67 Tulane 64 Junkaroo Jam
60 Central Michigan 81 LOSS Junkando Jam
80 Drake 83 LOSS
74 at Vanderbilt 77 LOSS
55 Iowa 61 LOSS
99 North Carolina Central 58
89 Cal Riverside 66
75 Nichols 47

6-5
71 Kansas 69
69 Oklahoma 74 LOSS -1
at Baylor

KANSAS

66 Campbell 48
72 Texas Southern 37
81 Yale 75
81 Delaware State 49
73 Rice 65
63 Mis Kansas City 48
71 Arkansas 60
49 Nebraska 66 LOSS
51 SE Missouri State 50
53 at St. Johns 65 OT LOSS
72 at Iona 58

9-2
69 at Iowa State 71 LOSS
86 TCU 77
at Texas Tech

KANSAS STATE

74 Stephen F. Austin 49
81 Omaha 60
81 Florida A&M 57
55 at North Texas 54
55 UCLA 64 SouthPoint Thanksgiving Shootout
70 Penn State 65 Southpoint Thanksgiving Shootout
59 at Missouri 73 LOSS
70 TX Arlington 56
66 Ark Little Rock 51
99 Chicago State 51
71 Northern Iowa 72 LOSS

8-3
58 Baylor 88 LOSS -1
68 at Oklahoma State 76 LOSS
at West Virginia

OKLAHOMA

96 Belmont 73
108 DePaul 111 (OT) LOSS
87 SMU 75
78 at Colorado State 46
74 Oregon 92 LOSS PKBO Invitational
56 Ark Little Rock 68 LOSS
61 Florida 80 LOSS
61 at South Dakota State 67 LOSS
79 South Florida 74
105 New Mexico 63
64 Connecticut 88 LOSS

5-6
78 Texas 88 LOSS -1
74 at Iowa State 69 +1 = 0
TCU

OKLAHOMA STATE

86 Incarnate Word 35
91 Wichita 67
80 TX Rio Grande 38
78 Northwestern State 44
76 South Dakota 68 Cancun Challenge
69 Tennessee 79 LOSS Cancun Challenge
94 Southern 66
76 at Mississippi State 79 LOSS
87 UCLA 72
107 USCarolina Upstate 81
112 La Monroe 58

9-2
98 at Texas Tech 57 +1
76 Kansas State 68
at Texas

TEXAS

95 Stetson 59
100 McNeese State 34
120 UT San Antonio 70
75 LSU 66 South Point Thanksgiving Shootout
92 Washington 68 South Point Thanksgiving Shootout
88 Louisiana Tech 54
81 at Georgia 53
75 at Tennessee 82 LOSS
68 Northwestern State 44
87 Florida State 72

9-1
88 at Oklahoma 78 +1
79 West Virginia 58
Oklahoma State

TCU

72 Oral Roberts 58
64 at SMU 58
82 Texas State 58
72 Yale 82 LOSS
68 Arizona 59
86 Idaho 76
Arkansas Warner Center Marriott Thanksgiving Showcase
88 Alabama 67
58 at Texas A&M 71 LOSS
112 SE Louisiana 62
89 Northwestern State 51
90 Hampton 68

9-2
82 West Virginia 87 LOSS -1
77 at Kansas 86 LOSS
at Oklahoma

TEXAS TECH

70 Texas State 87 LOSS
82 Florida A&M 63
74 Arkansas Pine Bluff 47
93 Mass Lowell 65
56 Texas A&M 90 LOSS
40 LSU 48 LOSS
75 at Houston 79 LOSS
56 at New Mexico 90 LOSS
89 Prairie View A&M 60
80 TX Rio Grande Valley 64
80 Incarnate Word 54

6-5
57 Oklahoma State 98 LOSS -1
49 at Baylor 97 LOSS
Kansas

WEST VIRGINIA

102 Central Connecticut 52
101 Sacramento State 47
87 North Florida 59
75 Butler 68
61 Drexel 42 Paradise Jam
79 Virginia Tech 61 Paradise Jam
70 at Texas A&M 56
73 Pittsburgh 52
101 Coppin State 43
75 Radford 55
84 Morgan State 41
66 Morehead State 56
North Florida Paradise Jam

12-0
87 at TCU 82 +1
58 at Texas 79 LOSS
Kansas State

1/3 Surprises?

Iowa State 49
Baylor 89
It wasn't that close.

Oklahoma State 79
Texas 84
OSU led the entire game by about 3 to 5, until about two minutes left. At about 2:30, Texas got their first lead. OSU got tired.

Kansas State 60
West Virginia 52
Can I say that I'm not surprised. WV had just played a pathetic non-conference schedule. Two bad conference losses already.

Kansas 60
Texas Tech 47
Aftermath of a firing?

1/3 Surprises?

Iowa State 49
Baylor 89
It wasn't that close.

Oklahoma State 79
Texas 84
OSU led the entire game by about 3 to 5, until about two minutes left. At about 2:30, Texas got their first lead. OSU got tired.

Kansas State 60
West Virginia 52
Can I say that I'm not surprised. WV had just played a pathetic non-conference schedule. Two bad conference losses already.

Kansas 60
Texas Tech 47
Aftermath of a firing?

WVU is without Tynice Martin. Once she is back (if she comes back) it will be a different team if she is capable of producing like she did last year. WVU currently has no depth and that hurts their preferred style of play. They did beat A&M in the non-con.

Wow Cox is putting on a block party vs ISU, they have no answer for her and Brown like most teams...

6-0 Baylor 16-1 (+4)
5-1 Texas 14-3 (+2)
4-3 Oklahoma 9-9 (+1)
4-2 Oklahoma State 13-4 (+1)
3-3 TCU 12-5 (0)
3-4 West Virginia 15-4 (0)
3-4 Kansas State 11-7 (-1)
2-5 Iowa State 8-10 (-2)
2-5 Kansas 11-7 (-2)
1-5 Texas Tech 7-10 (-3)

The +/- in parentheses is the positive or negative on road wins vs home losses. Curiously, due to the fact that OU has played Baylor and Texas in Norman, OU's home losses are high. But, the road wins (3) are higher.

This weekend, OSU at OU is big. The winner is on track for #3.

Must beat the pukes in Norman Saturday or the win in Manhattan was for naught. Lose and we have 3 home losses (Texas, Baylor and OSU) to off set our 3 road wins (ISU, Tech and KSU) leaving us with just the TCU home win on the positive side of the ledger. Definitely will give the pukes the tie breaker and a game and a half for 3rd should in come down to that.

OSU is a key game. I see it as an absolute must for OSU, not quite so for OU. I really want to win it to finish third because I would rather play Texas in the tournament.

We have a bit of an advantage. Certainly, OSU would have the head-to-head in case of a tie if they were to win. But, I think OSU and OU will both lose two to Texas and Baylor. Since OU is the same +1 as OSU, our +1 includes two home losses to them. OSU must now play three against the Horns and Baylor, including two home games. Suddenly, their +1 becomes a -1 if they were to lose to both. They already have a loss at Manhattan, where we won. So, OSU has three losses coming that we already include. We don't have as many places for mistakes as they do.

I'd prefer that we win. But, we might well take third, even if we don't.

realtimerpi projections

17-1 Baylor
15-3 Texas
10-8 OU (losses at Baylor, TCU, Kansas, West Virginia, and Texas)
10-8 OSU
10-8 TCU
9-9 West Virginia
9-9 Kansas State
6-12 Kansas
3-15 Iowa State
1-17 Texas Tech

OSU is a key game. I see it as an absolute must for OSU, not quite so for OU. I really want to win it to finish third because I would rather play Texas in the tournament.

We have a bit of an advantage. Certainly, OSU would have the head-to-head in case of a tie if they were to win. But, I think OSU and OU will both lose two to Texas and Baylor. Since OU is the same +1 as OSU, our +1 includes two home losses to them. OSU must now play three against the Horns and Baylor, including two home games. Suddenly, their +1 becomes a -1 if they were to lose to both. They already have a loss at Manhattan, where we won. So, OSU has three losses coming that we already include. We don't have as many places for mistakes as they do.

I'd prefer that we win. But, we might well take third, even if we don't.

Combs who was starting for OSU and actually was playing pretty well is out for the rest of the season. This will hurt them going forward with production from the starters and will deplete an already thin bench.

Combs who was starting for OSU and actually was playing pretty well is out for the rest of the season. This will hurt them going forward with production from the starters and will deplete an already thin bench.

She had knee surgery following the UT game. She was out the first Bedlam game, but Castro stepped up in the first half. The biggest impact is definitely perimeter defense in her absence. The Cowgirl bench has actually gotten more minutes in Big 12 play without her available. Not sure it affects depth as much as it forces the bench to step up (or at least forces the coaching staff to be more liberal with subs).

Last edited:
Jan. 22nd poll

BU - 3
UT - 6
OSU - 19
WVU - 20
TCU - 24

Kind of surprised by TCU being in there.

TCU is on a pretty nice roll, but I am surprised as well. They have 4 wins in a row with wins over WVU and UT. Iowa and Rutgers losing 3 in the past two weeks definitely contributed.

Sherri brought in the #1 recruit in the nation in Courtney.

Name the last men's coach to bring in the #1 prospect in the nation.

Sherri brought in the #3 or #6 prospect in Ashley Paris, also from California.

Name the last men's coach to bring in the #3 prospect in the US.

Sherri brought in the #8 player in the US twice, in Amanda and now in Madison.

Name the last men's coach to bring in the #8 prospect in the nation.

Identify all of the Oklahoma prospects who Sherri lost who became All-American.
Barry Switzer was a great recruiter too, oh wait that was a long time ago. I judge SC as the only way I can..results on the floor..which IMO are not that great for the money she gets

Last edited:
Barry Switzer was a great recruiter too, oh wait that was a long time ago. I judge SC as the only way I can..results on the floor..which IMO are not that great for the money she gets

Apparently, someone thinks she is worth what they are paying.

Looks like that powerhouse program of SC is now residing in the BOTTOM HALF of the Big XII.

Looks like that powerhouse program of SC is now residing in the BOTTOM HALF of the Big XII.

Well, tied for 5th to be a bit more accurate.

No tie breakers have actually been implemented yet.

But as we have suggested all along, playing so many away games in the non-conference was not a good idea. Or do you think a weak schedule should be used as the tie breaker rule. With the team playing the weaker schedule being the winner of the tie breaker?

Well, tied for 5th to be a bit more accurate.

No tie breakers have actually been implemented yet.

But as we have suggested all along, playing so many away games in the non-conference was not a good idea. Or do you think a weak schedule should be used as the tie breaker rule. With the team playing the weaker schedule being the winner of the tie breaker?

I don't think you use non-conference game for tie breakers in the conference. They do play a double round robin schedule with a defined tie breaker rule. First tie breaker is head to head, second tie breaker is record against the #1 team followed by record against #2 team and so on.

Back