Big Twelve

Unfortunately, this is probably the year of reckoning for Sherri Coale and her squad. I hope that I am wrong. The whole thing lays at her feet without question. The staff is stale. Yes, She is throwing seniors under the bus this year but the real legacy is her lack of effort in recruiting. You can't have 10 players on scholarship when the limit is 15. You get one with a ACL injury and then you have nine and there is always a player or two that aren't very good. Right now they can't even scrimmage with just team members. Yes, I know that she lost two to transfer but she would have only been at 12. If you are going to coach in women's sports in 2017-2018, you have to love recruiting. Patti is the best in softball and one thing I will tell you is that she will not leave a scholarship unused. There is no sexism in that comparison. We can only hope that Sherri finds the fire to really recruit for the next few years otherwise the downward spiral will continue. I am excited about next year's class but she has to follow up with another great class for it to mean anything.

This talk of OU splitting with Baylor is off the deep edge. Sherri left a mark on my memory last year at the halftime interview when the game was physical and she said she didn't think it was women's basketball. That is a problem. OU will be lucky to stay within 20-25 in the Baylor game. Yes, they are pretty even with TCU, Tech, and Iowa State but lack of depth puts those games in jeopardy. I think this is the season where OU stays at the house in the post season and is sub .500 in conference play and overall. Just maybe this will wake Sherri up to the realities.

One part of her statement has been completely ignored. She indicated that this team began the year as a good team, hitting over 52% of its shots in the first two or three games.

Suddenly, Gabbi and Maddie can't buy a shot.

Gabbi:
http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=12911&stats_pl
Slightly better than average years so far as a shooter.

Maddie:
http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=12911&stats_
By far, her worst.

What happened after the first three or four games?

Why did Sherri play it this way? Sounds like a family feud.

If it can go wrong so easily, can it go right just as easily? The team that beat Belmont would have blitzed UALR and Florida.

Let's see how they work it out.

Incidentally, after going to the Final Four, Kruger was ninth out of ten in the Big Twelve. Sherri has never been ninth out of ten, ninth out of twelve once. Since she went to the Final Four, what is her worst finish?

What happen syb is we started playing better teams...

Looking at some of the other box score Penzo isn’t a bad shooter, but she doesn’t bring much else...

Looking at some of the other box score Penzo isn’t a bad shooter, but she doesn’t bring much else...

Belmont, DePaul, and Colorado State are better teams than UALR and Florida. After we beat Belmont, they trounced Tulsa. Tulsa went to UALR and beat them pretty good. Then, they beat us?

Gonzaga isn't all that bad. Their three losses: Belmont, DePaul, Colorado State.

OSU goes to Starkville on Sunday to play MSU then UCLA visits GIA the next weekend so a lot will be found about how good they are.

OSU just handed #7 UCLA an 87-72 loss.

The Bruins are 7-2 with losses to OSU and UConn and wins over Baylor and K-State.

OSU's Loryn Goodwin finished with 27 points, Kaylee Jensen with 19 points (and 15 rebounds), and freshman Braxtin Miller had 19 points.

Last edited:

I completely agree. All this BS talk from Syb trying to defend OU and stating that Belmont is a good team, or better than any other team we have played this year is just plain biased bull. Wake up. Belmont was horrible. We just started the year with a better mentality than we have now. After getting creamed three games in a row once you get down you don't have much hope of coming back. I will say I think that South Dakota State was a pretty bad team as well and if we'd had Vivi I think we may have actually won that one, maybe.
What I'm really annoyed with is SC's decisions. Why not started the very clearly five best players (vivi, manning, ortiz, ana, shaina) so that we don't immediately put ourselves in a hole at the beginning of every game??? Starting Simpson, who is not even a DI player, along with Penso and Williams and expecting to have any success makes me think this woman has lost her marbles. Its so OBVIOUS who the starters should be and she just keeps ignoring it and then wonders why we always start games so badly and have to try and dig ourselves out of a hole the rest of the game.

What's the deal with Vivi? Did she get fed up finally and quit the team or something?

I'm just so annoyed that with all the dang money this woman makes she's got 9 bodies at her disposal AGAIN (this has happened to her in previous seasons) and 4 of the 9 are debatable as to if they are even DI. Just don't even want to watch them anymore this year, which sucks because I look forward to every WBB season and now i'm going to have to wait another dang year to again to see a decent OU team play! I hate it! I say she needs to go!

As of 12/18

realtimerpi rankings

11 Texas 9-1
15 West Virginia 10-0
19 Kansas State 7-2
30 Baylor 9-1
47 Oklahoma 5-5
53 Kansas 8-1
61 Oklahoma State 7-2
70 TCU 8-2
230 Texas Tech 5-5
247 Iowa State 5-5

Baylor and OSU are probably a bit low. Kansas and Kansas State are too high.

As of 12/22, realtimerpi rankings

9 Texas 9-1
16 West Virginia 12-0
34 Baylor 10-1
37 Oklahoma 5-6
73 TCU 9-2
75 Kansas 9-2
78 Oklahoma State 9-2
80 Kansas State 8-3
240 Iowa State 6-5
245 Texas Tech 6-5

SOS

Oklahoma 3
Texas 29
West Virginia 105
Kansas State 125
Baylor 167
Kansas 197
TCU 205
Oklahoma State 214
Texas Tech 256
Iowa State 297

The lack of schedule strength is hurting the conference rpi which is only #9.

I think that this may be fairly accurate, if we switch Baylor and West Virginia.

One part of her statement has been completely ignored. She indicated that this team began the year as a good team, hitting over 52% of its shots in the first two or three games.

Suddenly, Gabbi and Maddie can't buy a shot.

Gabbi:
http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=12911&stats_pl
Slightly better than average years so far as a shooter.

Maddie:
http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=12911&stats_
By far, her worst.

What happened after the first three or four games?

Why did Sherri play it this way? Sounds like a family feud.

If it can go wrong so easily, can it go right just as easily? The team that beat Belmont would have blitzed UALR and Florida.

Let's see how they work it out.

Incidentally, after going to the Final Four, Kruger was ninth out of ten in the Big Twelve. Sherri has never been ninth out of ten, ninth out of twelve once. Since she went to the Final Four, what is her worst finish?[/QUOTE]

You constantly want to compare apples to oranges. MBB and WBB are two different sports played in two different competitive environments with different circumstances.

But yes Kruger's team did have a down year in 2016-2017. And this year's team has rebounded with a 10-1 start and are only 1 win short of last years total. Guess how he turned the team around? Recruiting! With Young on record as saying he originally thought he was going to Kentucky and narrowed his choices down to Kansas and OU.

In case you have forgotten Kentucky and Kansas are two of the blue bloods of the sport. But Young is in Norman.

"In case you have forgotten Kentucky and Kansas are two of the blue bloods of the sport. But Young is from Norman."

FIFY

I haven't forgotten where Young is from and he did not go to OU because it was his home town he went to OU because Kruger sold him on his opportunity at OU and based on waht we are seeing Kruger sold him on a valid story. It is doubtful his success would be any better at either Kansas or Kentucky nor would he be getting any more pub.

Give Kruger credit for a recruiting job well done. And do I need to list the top Oklahoma girls that chose to leave the state rather than play for Sherri?

And do I need to list the top Oklahoma girls that chose to leave the state rather than play for Sherri?

If it will make you feel better - and support your oversized ego a bit, go ahead.

Our problem has not been losing recruiting battles in state.

But, let's agree to keep it within the last 8 years or so.

If it will make you feel better - and support your oversized ego a bit, go ahead.

Our problem has not been losing recruiting battles in state.

But, let's agree to keep it within the last 8 years or so.

Your going to talk about egos? I recall no one on the board bold enough to declare their knowledge of the women's to be superior to others but you. When in fact the only capability you have shown on this board is the ability is to open mouth and insert foot.

Sherri brought in the #1 recruit in the nation in Courtney.

Name the last men's coach to bring in the #1 prospect in the nation.

Sherri brought in the #3 or #6 prospect in Ashley Paris, also from California.

Name the last men's coach to bring in the #3 prospect in the US.

Sherri brought in the #8 player in the US twice, in Amanda and now in Madison.

Name the last men's coach to bring in the #8 prospect in the nation.

Identify all of the Oklahoma prospects who Sherri lost who became All-American.

Not sure what the recruiting services were like but I’d imagine Wayman would have been in the top 8.

The closest highly ranked guy that the men have gotten was Willie Warren (ranked anywhere from 6-10).

Not sure what the recruiting services were like but I’d imagine Wayman would have been in the top 8.

The closest highly ranked guy that the men have gotten was Willie Warren (ranked anywhere from 6-10).
But, Wayman was from Tulsa. This is an old debate that rages about Sherri's inability to recruit. The point is whether any #1-5 or 10 player from out of state has ever been recruited by the men. If she is to be criticized, let the men's coach do better at attracting out of state talent.

When OU has been to the Final Four with the women, the players were out of state recruits for the most part: DRob, Courtney, Amanda, Ashley, Abi, Whitney, JoAnna. I think Caton and Caulfield were the only two Oklahoma girls to contribute to a Final Four team as starters.

Men's Final Four teams tend to have few Okies (Stacy King does come to mind), and few highly-recruited players. We tend to do well with junior college players, surprises like Hield, or kids who were fairly good but not superstars in HS. Our big name recruits were from Oklahoma---Wayman, Blake, Alvan, and now Trae.

Typical attempt to first live in the past and second attempt to compare apples to oranges. WBB and MBB are two different sports with different competitive and recruiting environments. Trying to make that comparison is scrambling for a justification for the teams failures both on the court and the recruiting trail when none exist.

A realistic comparison would be another WBB program in the Big 12 with a history of being downtrodden at the same time as Sherri's team, got their program around at about the same time as the OU women, became very successful on a national basis at similar time to OU and recruits to a city similar to Norman except being further from a major metropolitan area and has to deals with its remoteness.

But as you know OU is going to not compare favorably in any manner to the the Baylor Bears be it conference success or national success. Looking forward I expect that advantage to remain in Waco but I am hopeful some of the recent recruiting success can be enhanced and sustained with a championship or two and OU WBB and again being a top national program. It is difficult to accept that Sherri's last conference championship was in 2007 and we have not been to the Sweet 16 since 2013.

Sherri set the standard for OU WBB then forgot how to repeat her past success for almost a decade. The OU fan has not forgotten the expectations Sherri set and all it takes is a trip to LNC with its frequent 1,500-3,000 in attendance. That needs to end. It is her job to fix it!

Funny that you always want to define the comparisons. You want to compare Sherri to Kruger, except when you don't. You want to compare men to women using different standards. Yet, you tend to wish to ignore simple things in the pas, like the fact that we cancelled the women's program, exhibiting a lack of concern. Why is it that you only accept parameters that tend to make a coach who is in the Hall of Fame look inferior? I guess that it can't be that important that she is in the Hall of Fame.

Examine your parameters. We have a social war going on right now about people who didn't.

Typical attempt to first live in the past and second attempt to compare apples to oranges. WBB and MBB are two different sports with different competitive and recruiting environments. Trying to make that comparison is scrambling for a justification for the teams failures both on the court and the recruiting trail when none exist.

A realistic comparison would be another WBB program in the Big 12 with a history of being downtrodden at the same time as Sherri's team, got their program around at about the same time as the OU women, became very successful on a national basis at similar time to OU and recruits to a city similar to Norman except being further from a major metropolitan area and has to deals with its remoteness.

But as you know OU is going to not compare favorably in any manner to the the Baylor Bears be it conference success or national success. Looking forward I expect that advantage to remain in Waco but I am hopeful some of the recent recruiting success can be enhanced and sustained with a championship or two and OU WBB and again being a top national program. It is difficult to accept that Sherri's last conference championship was in 2007 and we have not been to the Sweet 16 since 2013.

Sherri set the standard for OU WBB then forgot how to repeat her past success for almost a decade. The OU fan has not forgotten the expectations Sherri set and all it takes is a trip to LNC with its frequent 1,500-3,000 in attendance. That needs to end. It is her job to fix it!

+1

Back