Castiglione declines to comment on Capel's future

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some interesting stuff in this article. Barnes gives Capel a vote of confidence, while Castiglione declines comment.

Will OU's Jeff Capel be back next season?

BY MIKE BALDWIN Oklahoman

Because the Sooners most likely will post back-to-back losing seasons for the first time in 45 years, a frequently asked question is: Will Jeff Capel return next season?

It's not a Cameron Clark alley-oop slam dunk. But it's close.

It will be shocking if Capel isn't coaching the Sooners in 2011-12.

Three factors in Capel's favor:

1) He has five years left on his contract after this season.

2) Athletic director Joe Castiglione hand-picked Capel, a high character coach, to replace Kelvin Sampson following a cell phone scandal.

3) Fire Capel and the new coach would face the same rebuilding process with virtually the same roster.

Castiglione declined to comment on Capel's future. When athletic directors address a coach under contract every word is scrutinized. Giving Capel a “vote of confidence” wouldn't change anything.

He gave Capel the ultimate “vote of confidence” two years ago — a seven-year contract, with incentives worth up to $13.28 million.

But a lot has changed since Blake Griffin left for the NBA.

Following a tumultuous 2010-11 season, the program unexpectedly hit rock bottom.

After Willie Warren, Tommy Mason-Griffin, Keith “Tiny” Gallon and two reserves bolted last spring, Capel had to scramble to sign six players last spring just to fill out a roster.

“What hurt him is he got caught with his numbers,” said Texas coach Rick Barnes. “When we've had guys leave, we've had program guys who have been here awhile. There's no doubt in my mind he'll get it back. He's too good a basketball coach. He knows the business.”

Capel vowed to “cleanse the program” last spring. But Capel didn't inherit the current mess. He recruited Warren, Mason-Griffin and Gallon.

Does five years left on his contract at least give him some security he'll be given time to repair the damage?

“There's no security in our profession,” Capel said. “There's no such thing. Everyone in this profession knows that. It depends on where you are and who your work for. We're in a-you-have-to-produce profession.”

The Sooners didn't produce last season. A preseason top 20 team finished 13-18, capped by an ugly season-ending, nine-game losing streak.

If this team finishes 13-18, with less talent and little experience, it would reinforce Capel can coach, plus set the foundation for the future since everyone but senior guard Cade Davis returns.

But there might be another variable.

The NCAA last spring opened an investigation that Gallon's mother allegedly received a $3,000 wire transfer from Jeffrey Hausinger, a financial adviser. Hausinger denied the allegations.

OU was implicated when phone records revealed former assistant Oronde Taliaferro exchanged at least 41 phone calls and 25 text messages with Husinger.

Nine months later, nothing has changed. NCAA officials still haven't uncovered evidence to connect Taliaferro, much less Capel, to the alleged wire transfer. It appears the NCAA probably will never tie OU to what some would view as a minor infraction.

That's why Capel's future hinges on wins and losses. Despite five years left on his contract, a buyout would be significantly less than the more than $7 million Capel could earn.

Capel is confident the worst is over. Four starters will return next season. Two incoming forwards won't fix OU's lack of size but will help. Capel also will sign another player or two this spring.

“I really like our future,” Capel said. “We have some guys gaining valuable experience this year. We have guys that are being thrown into the fire immediately. I think that will pay off.”

Barnes said Capel's four years at Virginia Commonwealth will benefit him during the rebuilding process. Barnes also said OU's current roster has upside.

“That's how you build it (back),” Barnes said. “You can see they're getting better. I know how hard he works at it. They do things to keep you off balance. They normally shoot the ball pretty well. This team is going to win some games.”

Capel summed it up best. It's a-win-or-else profession.

Even Capel, Castiglione's hand-picked coach, might not survive three consecutive losing seasons.

http://www.newsok.com/will-ous-jeff...article/3532971?custom_click=lead_story_title

I place zero stock in anything Barnes has to say. Coaches will stick up for their own. To me the fact that Joe C. won't comment means it's certainly not a foregone conclusion that Capel is back next year.

LOL at the vote of confidence for Barnes. No doubt Barnes loves Capel. Capel at OU makes Barnes' job easier. He wants him in Norman forever.

Last edited:
3) Fire Capel and the new coach would face the same rebuilding process with virtually the same roster.

I think this is big, even though many won't like to hear it I think it is the main reason JC is back next year. Further more if you do make a move after next year instead of this Spring, will help make sure Pledger, Fitz and Clark won't transfer given their remaining eligibility.

Barnes needs to keep his mouth shut. It is none of his business.

To me the fact that Joe C. won't comment means it's certainly not a foregone conclusion that Capel is back next year.

That’s an encouraging sign.

I think this is big, even though many won't like to hear it I think it is the main reason JC is back next year. Further more if you do make a move after next year instead of this Spring, will help make sure Pledger, Fitz and Clark won't transfer given their remaining eligibility.

Next year is another rebuilding year, with or without Capel. This isn't an NCAA tournament team next year. Maybe NIT if they find an impact point guard late, but definitely not an NCAA team. BTW, hope I'm wrong on that and you stuff this post back in my face next March.

If you don't think Capel is the guy, then make the move now. Also, bringing Capel back next year does nothing but continue to hurt the pocket book of the program as even more OU fans who aren't pleased with him will cancel season tickets and attend less games.

I'd take my chances with a new coach coming and him trying to convince the current crop to stay than to watch Capel blunder and facepalm his way through another year on the bench.

Last edited:
i agree, i think the "we would have to start all over with a new coach" thing is an overrated excuse.

Barnes is cool to say those things. He probably does mean it all in a nice and professional manner. Jeeeeeeezzz, some of you people need to get off "mean street". Not all people are cynical!

Now on to the business at hand - JC needs to resign, and if not be terminated. Just the way I see it!

Last edited:
Barnes is cool to say those things. He probably does mean it all in a nice and professional manner. Jeeeeeeezzz, some of you people need to get off "mean street". Not all people are cynical!

!

Barnes was also Sean Suttons biggest supporter even up to the day he was arrested.

Barnes needs to keep his mouth shut. It is none of his business.

That’s an encouraging sign.

Definitely. I'd say we better win a couple of games other than Texas Tech for him to be retained. Hate to say it but I almost hope we don't because I really don't think Capel can handle a program like OU.

Yay! This is a good sign. Basketball is the easiest sport to turn around quickly.. Look at Kstate.. They got beasley and bang.. A new coach can bring in just 1 or two players and it all changes

Who in the world would replace Capel? Can you guarantee me it will be a significant upgrade? We were just positive we could do better than Kelvin. How'd that work out?

And, Billy C. Vodka isn't better either, so don't try and sell me that one. He's won a grand total of three NCAA tournament games, one less than Capel, and Gillespie had Kentucky's resources at his disposal.

Who in the world would replace Capel? Can you guarantee me it will be a significant upgrade? We were just positive we could do better than Kelvin. How'd that work out?

And, Billy C. Vodka isn't better either, so don't try and sell me that one. He's won a grand total of three NCAA tournament games, one less than Capel, and Gillespie had Kentucky's resources at his disposal.

I'm pretty sure we could replace him with someone that could do at least as well as he's done the past two years. There's a lot of guys we could bring in that could win 10 games in a season.

I'm pretty sure we could replace him with someone that could do at least as well as he's done the past two years. There's a lot of guys we could bring in that could win 10 games in a season.

:clap

I would be good with Bobby Lutz, Tubby Smith, Mark Fox, or Doc Sadler. All of those guys would be upgrading by coming to OU.

I would be good with Bobby Lutz, Tubby Smith, Mark Fox, or Doc Sadler. All of those guys would be upgrading by coming to OU.

Two thumbs down to Bobby Lutz, he's an assistant at IOWA STATE. Tubby Smith ain't coming, and I vomited when I thought of Sadler as our coach. He makes Kelvin's offense look like the showtime Lakers.

Mark Fox would be awesome! IF, we could get him, I would fire Capel on the spot. Problem is, Fox has things going in the right direction at UGA and probably won't want to make a tiny step up in job prestige to take on another rebuilding job.

That's under the assumption he'll win ten games a year for the forseeable future.

I don't buy that assumption.

Two thumbs down to Bobby Lutz, he's an assistant at IOWA STATE.

He's a good head coach.

and I vomited when I thought of Sadler as our coach. He makes Kelvin's offense look like the showtime Lakers.

Doc Sadler and Bill Self are the 2 best defensive coaches in the league, and he has VERY limited talent in Lincoln. If he could get traditional OU talent he would be in the NCAA Tournament every season.

They are #1 this season in scoring defense, field goal defense, #4 in 3pt defense, and #1 in defensive rebounding.

He would be like the second coming of Kelvin Sampson at OU.

He's a good head coach.

Just not good enough for UNC-Charlotte. But who is?

Doc Sadler and Bill Self are the 2 best defensive coaches in the league, and he has VERY limited talent in Lincoln. If he could get traditional OU talent he would be in the NCAA Tournament every season.

They are #1 this season in scoring defense, field goal defense, #4 in 3pt defense, and #1 in defensive rebounding.

He would be like the second coming of Kelvin Sampson at OU.

That's outstanding defense. You would think they would score more than the other team more frequently.

My point is, I want a balanced coach. We can have our cake and eat it too.

We were just positive we could do better than Kelvin. How'd that work out?

Who's we?

His rules issues aside, many -- I would even say most -- of us knew exactly how good we had it with Sampson at the helm; we never kidded ourselves that it would be easy to find a coach who could surpass him, much less improve on his success.

Were there a few vocal naysayers during his tenure? Yes, but there are always. Always.

Back