Colorado Pac-10 move no longer mere rumor

thebigabd

Reaction score
Woelk: Pac-10 move no longer mere rumor
By Neill Woelk Camera Sports Writer
Posted: 02/10/2010 11:48:54 PM MST

What has been mostly idle chatter and rumor for years has suddenly grown the legs of distinct possibility.
Don`t be surprised if Colorado is a member of the Pac-10 sometime within the next three years. The winds of change are simply too strong to believe it won`t happen.

I`m almost ready to bet it will.

Earlier this week, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said his conference is actively studying the possibility of expansion. Scott made those statements Tuesday during a teleconference that also included his new deputy commissioner, Kevin Weiberg.

That`s a wonderful coincidence. Weiberg, the former commissioner of the Big 12, is quite familiar with what Colorado would bring to the table as a conference member.

It`s not the first time CU has been connected to the Pac-10. In fact, Colorado came very close to joining the conference in 1994, the same time that CU and Texas were spearheading the formation of the Big 12.

Close enough, anyway, that a Pac-10 invitation was brought to a vote before the CU Board of Regents. By the narrowest of margins -- a 5-4 decision -- the regents voted to stay with the plans of forming the Big 12.

But ever since, CU has cast the occasional longing eye at the Pac-10, and the conference has reciprocated.

Those longing eyes appear ready to develop into a relationship.

Understand that Colorado is by no means unhappy with its current position in the Big 12. It`s a lucrative situation for CU, and athletic director Mike Bohn will be the first to say CU has benefited greatly from its membership. And, Bohn has repeatedly said no official contact has been made.

But it also might be time for a change -- and as I`ve written here before, a Colorado move to the Pac-10 makes too much sense to ignore:

CU`s largest and strongest out-of-state alumni base resides on the West Coast. A move to the Pac-10 would greatly enhance CU`s visibility there, and thus increase the school`s fundraising capabilities among an alumni base waiting to be courted. It`s a marketing bonanza begging to be fully tapped.

Colorado`s academic standards are much more in line with those of the Pac-10 than the Big 12. I`ve said for years that CU somehow needs to level the playing field in that regard. A move to the Pac-10 would be a huge step in that direction.

From a competitive financial standpoint, CU is a much better fit with the Pac-10. What`s becoming increasingly clear is that the Big 12 is turning into an arms race for the mega-rich. Forbes Magazine`s recent list of the 20 most valuable football programs in America included five Big 12 teams. Only one from the Pac-10 -- Southern Cal -- made the list. Colorado fits the Pac-10 profile in that regard.

Big 12 schools "sell" their schools via facilities. Bigger locker rooms, stadium scoreboards, indoor practice facilities -- wherever money can be spent in order to gloss over less-than-ideal locations. ("Welcome to Lincoln. That`s not the end of the world out there ... it just looks like it. Hey, want to see our weight room?")

Pac-10 schools are more inclined to sell the campus, the location and academics. Again, CU fits the Pac-10 profile.

Ask yourself this: Seattle or Stillwater? Tempe or Ames? Los Angeles or Lincoln? Tucson or Waco? Bay Area or College Station?

`Nuff said.

In return, the Pac-10 would be gaining a valuable -- and growing -- television market.

The conference is studying expansion because it`s in the process of renegotiating its television contract. It`s also possible that the conference may consider starting its own network. Weiberg played a major role in helping the Big Ten do exactly that; there`s no doubt he`ll be studying the feasibility of a similar venture in Pac-10 territory.

The addition of the Colorado television market would be a huge boost to either a new television contract or a conference network. Utah -- the other school mentioned most prominently with Pac-10 expansion -- would give the conference a virtual Western monopoly from a television standpoint.

Meanwhile, that new television contract could make it a financially viable move for CU. Currently, the Big 12`s annual payout is substantially more than the Pac-10`s. But a new TV deal might greatly reduce that difference. A substantial increase in West Coast fundraising might also help close that gap.

The nuts and bolts of such a move would be complicated. Big 12 bylaws require institutions to give a two-year notice of withdrawal. The bylaws also say the school that withdraws could lose up to 50 percent of its conference revenue.

Those are financial implications that CU would have to strongly consider.

Still, the feeling here is that a move to the Pac-10 would be the smart move for Colorado in the long run.

My guess is that there are plenty of others who see it the same way -- and it`s now much closer to reality than rumor.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_14379165

So, the Pac-10 wants to expand and get the Denver and Salt Lake City television markets. From a competitive standpoint, it seems like a good move for Colorado.

I am sure some here will point they are original Big 8, but I am not sure why that really matters right now.

If I am Colorado, I would bolt for the Pac-10...there is a reason CU is joked about being the University of California.

Surprised that their AD Bohn is actually looking into a situation which would make their school some money and possibly be more competitive...he will probably find a way to screw this up considering he could be the worst AD in the Big XII.

So Bohn is fighting Holder for that title?

If I am Colorado, I would bolt for the Pac-10...there is a reason CU is joked about being the University of California.

Agree, this would be a great move for them.

So, who does the Big 12 take when this happens?

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa

Would be fine with me if Colorado were to go to the Pac-10. Maybe if it does happen we won't have to talk about them as much on OUHOOPS.com.

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa
The ones that we could actually get do not look appeasing at all.

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa

No way Arkansas leaves the SEC. Ten years ago that would have been plausible, but with the mega TV contracts in place with the SEC, Arkansas would be stupid to leave.

Iowa wouldn't abandon the Big 10 either. Both SEC and Big 10 are the top dogs with their lucrative financial situations right now.

Would be fine with me if Colorado were to go to the Pac-10. Maybe if it does happen we won't have to talk about them as much on OUHOOPS.com.

I am sure their replacement would be discussed in length, along with all the teams we routinely discuss that aren't OU.

The ones that we could actually get do not look appeasing at all.

I agree. Memphis from a basketball standpoint would be good. From an academic/football stand point, not so much.

TCU and Houston would be the best plausible options IMO.

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa

I honestly would love New Mexico (fyi...they would finish 3rd in the conference this year in MBB).

However, this boils down to basically two aspects: academics and money. Don't like Houston, Arkansas won't leave the SEC, TCU offers nothing financially, a 14 ACT gets you into Memphis, UNM has state wide fan fare but that isn't saying much. Dont' know about Iowa, maybe someone else knows their situation better than I.

Likely Suitors
Houston
Arkansas
TCU
Memphis
New Mexico
Iowa

I'm not a big fan of bringing in a Texas team. They just won't add much. Memphis is interesting, Arkansas and Iowa won't leave their conferences. BYU is another rumor people are throwing out there.

I agree. Memphis from a basketball standpoint would be good. From an academic/football stand point, not so much.

TCU and Houston would be the best plausible options IMO.
That I agree with but I do not want any more Texas schools.

Who knows who we'd add, but it'll likely screw with the North/South allignment. For instance, if we add TCU or Houston, who do we move to the North?

I'm not a big fan of bringing in a Texas team. They just won't add much. Memphis is interesting, Arkansas and Iowa won't leave their conferences. BYU is another rumor people are throwing out there.

I don't know a lot about the Big East/Conference USA deal that transpired a few years ago, but if Memphis wasn't invited to join the Big East along with Marquette, Louisville, etc., you can't help but think that their situation isn't all enticing.

Back