Fraschilla has OU 6th in his Big 12 Power Rankings

Sooner23

Reaction score
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...yhawks-lead-2012-13-big-12-power-rankings-ncb

1. Kansas Jayhawks

Never underestimate the job Self continues to do at one of the nation's most storied basketball programs. This season, he'll return Final Four holdovers Elijah Johnson, Travis Releford and Jeff Withey. He will add redshirts Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor and a top-25 recruit, 6-foot-8 Perry Ellis, to the roster. McLemore and Ellis should contribute immediately as two of the more athletic wings in the conference.

Expect the Jayhawks' defense to be as stout as ever. Their 39.8 percent 2-point field goal defense was second in the nation last season and their blocked shot rate was ninth at 15 percent. This is in large measure because of Withey's defense in the paint. It will be the main reason the Jayhawks will be favored to win another Big 12 title under Self.

2. Texas Longhorns

Rick Barnes' young team limped into the NCAA tournament last season, making it his 14th consecutive appearance as the Longhorns' head coach. Armed with young veterans and another excellent recruiting class, they'll be sprinting in this season. Cameron Ridley, a 6-10 center, was a top-10 recruit and is the best big man in Austin since LaMarcus Aldridge.

The Horns' assist rate was 258th in the country last season, so there's room for improvement in the backcourt. While J'Covan Brown left school before his eligibility was completed, Longhorns fans should be enthused about their young guards. If Myck Kabongo, Sheldon McClellan and Julien Lewis mature at a normal rate, the Longhorns could be a top-10 team at some point in the season.

3. Baylor Bears

Usually, losing three NBA draft picks would be devastating, but coach Scott Drew has reloaded the roster again. The 7-1 Isaiah Austin, ESPNU's No. 3 player in 2012, should have an immediate impact up front. He has an excellent chance to be in next June's NBA draft lottery. And 6-9 junior Cory Jefferson will provide a defensive presence at the rim.

The strength of this Bears team, however, will be in the backcourt. Senior guard Pierre Jackson is one of the most electric players in the country, and while his assist rate was 18th in the nation last season he'll need to take care of the ball better this year. His running mate, Brady Heslip, is one of the nation's best shooters in college basketball, knocking down 46 percent of his shots from behind the arc. Cal transfer Gary Franklin should have a bigger role this year, and freshman L.J. Rose will also see quality minutes in a deep backcourt.

4. Kansas State Wildcats

Bruce Weber has inherited a better team in Manhattan, Kan., than the one he left behind at Illinois. The Wildcats had the ninth-most efficient defense under Frank Martin a year ago.

Rodney McGruder, a 6-4 senior guard, is one of the nation's underrated players, but not to coaches in the league. In fact, he embodies Kansas State's toughness. Jordan Henriquez, a 6-11 center, went for three double-doubles in his final six games but must play with more consistency. A huge key for the Wildcats will be the continued maturation of young guards Will Spradling and Angel Rodriguez.

5. Oklahoma State Cowboys

This should be a turnaround year for Travis Ford and the Cowboys, as he welcomes two-time Texas 5A champions Marcus Smart and Phil Forte to Stillwater. Smart will join Le'Bryan Nash as Oklahoma State's second consecutive McDonald's All American and is a flat-out winner who can excel at both backcourt positions.

Guards Markel Brown and Brian Williams gained valuable experience a year ago, even as OSU struggled to a 15-18 record. They will have to shoot better from the perimeter. If they don't, Forte will get an opportunity to show the range from deep that he teamed with Smart in high school.

6. Oklahoma Sooners

If Lon Kruger has proven anything in his coaching career, it is that he can rebuild programs. And he has the Sooners right on track in Year 2. In addition to returning all five starters, including sharpshooter Steven Pledger, Kruger has some newcomers who should help immediately.

Amath M'Baye, a 6-8 Wyoming transfer, drew rave reviews from NBA scouts who saw him in practice last season. He averaged 12 points and six rebounds as a sophomore in the Mountain West, including 16.2 points in his last nine games. He'll be assisted on the front line by veterans Romero Osby and Andrew Fitzgerald.

Athletic 6-4 freshman wing Buddy Hield is the best of an underrated crop of recruits who will strengthen the Sooners' backcourt.

7. West Virginia Mountaineers

Huggins had one of the youngest teams in the country and lost All-Big East power forward Kevin Jones.

Deniz Kilicli, a 6-11 senior center, returns and will be helped inside by talented but enigmatic LaSalle transfer, 6-10 Aaric Murray. Dayton transfer Juwan Staten adds depth to a young backcourt led by sophomore point guard Jabarie Hinds.

8. Iowa State Cyclones

The 23-11 Cyclones from last season were built with transfers and will miss three of them this coming season, including the Houston Rockets' first-round pick, Royce White. But coach Fred Hoiberg has another one waiting to go in Michigan State transfer Korie Lucious, who could be one of the top guards in the Big 12 immediately.

Georges Niang, a 6-7 undersized Massachusetts power forward, was a target of a number of high-level schools and should help quickly.

9. Texas Tech Red Raiders

Nobody ever said it was easy winning in Lubbock, even for noted program-builder Billy Gillispie. In the spring, he had almost as many transfers as his team had wins a year ago.

The Red Raiders do have a promising young inside player in 6-7 forward Jordan Tolbert. And former Mississippi State point guard recruit Josh Gray signed with Gillispie after the Bulldogs made a coaching change.

10. TCU Horned Frogs

The Horned Frogs are in a serious rebuilding phase, but that has been new coach Trent Johnson's specialty. Sophomore guard Kyan Anderson had a solid freshman season in the Mountain West but will have to step up his game in the Big 12.

Senior guard Garlon Green, brother of the Indiana Pacers' Gerald Green, has had moments of brilliance but will need a few more to keep TCU in games this season.

I'd be pretty surprised if KSU finished 4th or better this year.

I think 6th is about right for OU. If we remain healthy, I'd be pretty surprised if we finished outside of the range of 4-7.

Texas is overrated. I see them middle of the pack. I think it is tough to put Iowa State 8th but the league is good from 1-8 this year. OU will finish higher than 5th- seasoned experience (and skill) in the backcourt is really important. That is why I think KSU is rated around where they should be. McGruder may be the best player in the league. And probably why Kansas and Baylor should be top 6 finishers as well.

I don't know how OSU meshes together. On paper, I like their talent a lot. But they don't have a true PG that you can trust. And they don't have a banger down low that you can trust now that Williams was convicted. They have a roster full of swingmen- kind of like Baylor had a roster full of small forwards for the last couple of years.

I don't think I can lay down for these rankings. They won't finish behind OSU and Martin was probably getting all there was to get out of K St. I would move OU and West Virginia both up a notch.

When I look at those rankings I see three or four teams that OU could beat in the final standings. I am not convinced KSU, OSU, Texas or Baylor will necessarily be better than OU. I am not saying OU will finish 2nd in the conference. I just think there is a chance OU could be better than one or more teams.

When I look at those rankings I see three or four teams that OU could beat in the final standings. I am not convinced KSU, OSU, Texas or Baylor will necessarily be better than OU. I am not saying OU will finish 2nd in the conference. I just think there is a chance OU could be better than one or more teams.

OU finished at .500 and your not convinced that Texas and Baylor won't be better than us.
Texas only lost Brown, but they have 3 solid guards return and adding a top big man. They should be better than they were last season.
Baylor keeps reloading...adding Morgan, Gathers, Rose and Austin to that roster next season should keep them way ahead of us. Their back up PGs would start for us.
OSU could finish 1 or 2 in the big 12...and they could also finish 8 or 9. Nash and Smart are solid players. Cobbins, Williams, Olukemi and Brown are pretty good players as well. But Ford is their coach so I wont make a prediction on them.

W.V. is going to finish in the top 4. They went to the tournament last year and even though they lost 2 solid players...they have 2 solid players redshirting last year that are going to step up and have immediate impact. Murray and Kilicli are going to make up the best post duo in the big 12.

I expect KU, Tex, Bay, and W.V. to finish in the top 4. After that, its fair game.

Wow this conference is wide open. 2-8 should be completely wide open. Kruger really needs to get us in the tourney this year.

I don't think the average Sooner fan realizes just how talented M'Baye is and the impact he should have on the team.

OU finished at .500 and your not convinced that Texas and Baylor won't be better than us.
Texas only lost Brown, but they have 3 solid guards return and adding a top big man. They should be better than they were last season.
Baylor keeps reloading...adding Morgan, Gathers, Rose and Austin to that roster next season should keep them way ahead of us. Their back up PGs would start for us.
OSU could finish 1 or 2 in the big 12...and they could also finish 8 or 9. Nash and Smart are solid players. Cobbins, Williams, Olukemi and Brown are pretty good players as well. But Ford is their coach so I wont make a prediction on them.

W.V. is going to finish in the top 4. They went to the tournament last year and even though they lost 2 solid players...they have 2 solid players redshirting last year that are going to step up and have immediate impact. Murray and Kilicli are going to make up the best post duo in the big 12.

I expect KU, Tex, Bay, and W.V. to finish in the top 4. After that, its fair game.

Texas was not very good last year although they were slightly better than OU. However, Texas lost Brown, Chapman and Wagmene. The will be a young team next season. I think it is possible that OU will be better than Texas. I am not going to bet my house on it but at 2-1 or 3-1 odds I might put some money on OU.

Baylor was a good team last year but they lost Perry Jones, Anthony Jones, Quicy Acey and Quincey Miller. That is a big loss. I recognize they have some good players returning and bring in some good player; however, I am not convinced they will be better than OU. I think Baylor is most likely going to be better than OU.

KSU lost both games to OU, lost their coach and lost Samuels. I think there is a very good chance OU is better than KSU.

OSU lost some players and has serious questions on the inside. They will have a bunch of 3s but I think their front court is enough of an issue to question whether they finish ahead of OU.

I think WV will have trouble on the road because the road trips are so long and the venues are knew. They will have the biggest or second biggest home court advantage for the same reason but I think they will drop a home game or two (possibly more). I am not convinced they will be better than OU.

There are a lot of questions for OU but I think M'Baye is going to make a big difference. I will also gladly trade Blair for Heild, Hornbeak and Cousins. Carl shot .305 from the field and .273 from the 3 point line. He averaged 3.5 points per game. I am pretty confident OU can get more than that from the three freshman. Blair also turned the ball over at a fairly high rate for a backup point. The freshman will likely have as many turn overs but I think they will make up for it with better defense and a higher shooting percentage. Additionally, when one of them is off, Kruger has two other options. OU did not have that luxury last season. OU had to play Grooms, Blair, Pledger and Clark for big minutes regardless of their performance.

Finally, just having more guys for practice should make a difference. You hae to work harder if there is someone pushing you.

I can see OU anywhere from 5th to 8th depending on how our guards play come conference time. To that extent 6th is probably fair but I do think we'll be much more competitive this season.

Texas was not very good last year although they were slightly better than OU. However, Texas lost Brown, Chapman and Wagmene. The will be a young team next season. I think it is possible that OU will be better than Texas. I am not going to bet my house on it but at 2-1 or 3-1 odds I might put some money on OU.

You do realize that while we went .500 last year, Texas made it to the NCAA tournament...and even though they lose Brown(and 2 players that can easily be replaced)...they have 2 guards that are returning that combined for 17ppg in Lewis and McClellan...and they were only freshmen. Kabongo is going to be one of the top PGs in the country. Holmes will be better next year than Chapman and Wangmene were this year. And their recruiting class is WAY...WAY better than ours.

As much as I would like to pick OU high...We return a team that went .500 and we only add M'Baye who we know can contribute right away...everyone else is up in the air. And I for one will not get too excited for a bunch of freshmen that weren't ranked very high on any recruiting site.

Can I ask the question as to what NBA scout in their right mind would come watch the Sooners practice last year?

Can I ask the question as to what NBA scout in their right mind would come watch the Sooners practice last year?

Mbaye was supposedly making waves as a transfer last year. He is a legit 6-9 with lots of skill...

Doug picks K-State to finish 2nd. Am I the only one that doesn't see why people are so high on K-State?

Doug is still on cloud nine that sys and company were going gaga over him being their next coach....

Last edited:
Dougie G., bless his heart, seems a little confused about the meaning of the word "dearth."

Back