Iowa State

I didn't get to see or hear the game tonight because I was too busy getting crappy cards for 5 hours at a poke table.

However, just looking at the stats, if it hadn't been for Vivi, it appears we would have gotten our ass handed to us tonight.

I'm beginning to think, especially, after last season, that his team can not put
together a complete game from start to finish with everyone playing their best in all phases of the game.

And I think everyone is to blame. Especially Syb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonight was curious. The big plays were made by those who had experience: Vivi, Peyton, Gioya, Maddie, Gabbi---with a couple by Treece.

Baylor +2
Texas +2
Oklahoma +2
Texas Tech even
Kansas State even
Oklahoma State even
West Virginia even
Iowa State -2
Kansas -2
TCU -2

I didn't get to see or hear the game tonight because I was too busy getting crappy cards for 5 hours at a poke table.

However, just looking at the stats, if it hadn't been for Vivi, it appears we would have gotten our ass handed to us tonight.

I'm beginning to think, especially, after last season, that his team can not put
together a complete game from start to finish with everyone playing their best in all phases of the game.

And I think everyone is to blame. Especially Syb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't ever like the "if it hadn't been for x" argument because it could be used just about every time someone wins a game and has a great performance from someone. However, your point about not being able to put a complete game together is absolutely 100% spot on, and it's the reason this team isn't better.

Against certain teams, you can have periods in a game where you suck and still win. We are pretty good at finding a way to do that. However, against good teams, you cannot afford to disappear for an entire quarter or half. And that's what we do against really good teams. That's why we've been losing most of our games to really good teams.

This team is simply inconsistent. I love Manning. She's a great Sooner. But she was, is, and probably always will be, inconsistent. She's a good player. But great players are consistent. Same with Peyton Little. She's a great Sooner. The epitome of a student athlete. Tremendous defender. A really good teammate. But she's an inconsistent shooter. Gioya Carter. One day she looks like she would be a star in the WNBA, and the next, she's throwing lay-ups wildly over the backboard. But every time she has the ball, she is capable of doing something great... or not so great. Nancy is a freshman, so she's going to be inconsistent by default. Same with Dungee. What we need is consistency from the veterans - Ortiz, Manning, Carter, Vivi... and we don't get that. That's why we will be a good team but not a great team.

I am holding out hope for a Sweet 16. I think that's a really good season. A really, really good season. Nobody should thumb their nose at that. I just hope we can get there, because I have a feeling that is our ceiling.

Second quarter:
1:59 22-30 Burkhall hit a jump shot
1:17 25-30 Maddie hit a three
0:44 28-30 Maddie hit a three

Halftime

Third quarter:
9:50 30-30 Vivi hit a layup
8:20 32-30 Vivi hit a layup
7:43 34-30 Vivi hit a layup
7:27 34-32 Carlton hit a layup
7:12 36-32 Vivi hit a layup

Notice that we came back from eight down to score 12 in a row to take the lead: six by Maddie, six by Vivi.

Iowa State never caught up.

My humble opinion on the win last night at Ames. 3 factors. 1) Defense, the girls did a good job of defending the arc, The Cyclones were abysmal from the 3.
2) Vivi, the Cyclones tried to defend her one on one, and Vivi was able to finish on the glass with fairly easy baskets, and she rebounded well. 3) Seniors. Experience paid off in crunch time. Though Maddie, Peyton, and Gioya didn't play real well, they came through in the 4th quarter when they needed to. Gioya was more consistent through out the game. It also helped we hit our free throws.

Thanks for the commentary/analysis above, folks. There are reasons to be optimistic for this season.

Any Big 12 road win is vital, and a W at Hilton is Huge.

We go to WVa and lose badly. WVa then goes to Lubbock and Tech notches their first home win against a top 25 team in several years. Now that amped up Tech team motors into Norman this Saturday. The Big 12 is a grind.

Second quarter:
1:59 22-30 Burkhall hit a jump shot
1:17 25-30 Maddie hit a three
0:44 28-30 Maddie hit a three

Halftime

Third quarter:
9:50 30-30 Vivi hit a layup
8:20 32-30 Vivi hit a layup
7:43 34-30 Vivi hit a layup
7:27 34-32 Carlton hit a layup
7:12 36-32 Vivi hit a layup

Notice that we came back from eight down to score 12 in a row to take the lead: six by Maddie, six by Vivi.

Iowa State never caught up.

And that, is apparently, about all Maddie did during that game. She hit a couple of baskets. Great. She's counted on to do more than that. Same with Vivi, who was the savior of the game if you look at simply stats.

I guess I'm not clear on your point, Syb.

It does seem like a fickle season so far. There's Baylor and then everyone else takes turns at playing really good or stinking it up like a high school JV team.

Ah, well. Looking forward to Saturday. Go Sooners!

I don't ever like the "if it hadn't been for x" argument because it could be used just about every time someone wins a game and has a great performance from someone. However, your point about not being able to put a complete game together is absolutely 100% spot on, and it's the reason this team isn't better.

Against certain teams, you can have periods in a game where you suck and still win. We are pretty good at finding a way to do that. However, against good teams, you cannot afford to disappear for an entire quarter or half. And that's what we do against really good teams. That's why we've been losing most of our games to really good teams.

This team is simply inconsistent. I love Manning. She's a great Sooner. But she was, is, and probably always will be, inconsistent. She's a good player. But great players are consistent. Same with Peyton Little. She's a great Sooner. The epitome of a student athlete. Tremendous defender. A really good teammate. But she's an inconsistent shooter. Gioya Carter. One day she looks like she would be a star in the WNBA, and the next, she's throwing lay-ups wildly over the backboard. But every time she has the ball, she is capable of doing something great... or not so great. Nancy is a freshman, so she's going to be inconsistent by default. Same with Dungee. What we need is consistency from the veterans - Ortiz, Manning, Carter, Vivi... and we don't get that. That's why we will be a good team but not a great team.

I am holding out hope for a Sweet 16. I think that's a really good season. A really, really good season. Nobody should thumb their nose at that. I just hope we can get there, because I have a feeling that is our ceiling.
I think the Sweet 16 is possible depending their match ups and they play their best ball of the year.

To be fair, this team had other things on it's mind the last 2 games. T'Ona lost her mother, suddenly and unexpectedly, on Sunday morning. I'm still not sure how TT played in the game. Maddie and Sherri at post game presser last night mentioned the win was for TT. So, although they were focused to play basketball, they had to have a portion of their mind thinking of TT and what she was going through.

Continued thoughts of peace and comfort for T'Ona and family!

rpi:

8. Baylor
11. Kansas State
20. Texas Tech
23. Texas
24. Oklahoma
26. Oklahoma State
62. West Virginia
111. Iowa State
120. Kansas
139. TCU

To be fair, this team had other things on it's mind the last 2 games. T'Ona lost her mother, suddenly and unexpectedly, on Sunday morning. I'm still not sure how TT played in the game. Maddie and Sherri at post game presser last night mentioned the win was for TT. So, although they were focused to play basketball, they had to have a portion of their mind thinking of TT and what she was going through.

Continued thoughts of peace and comfort for T'Ona and family!

Edwards did not play last night. Doubt she even went on the trip.

Personally I don't like to see Nancy starting. ViVi has been solid and went into a funk when she lost her starting job. Not that I am against setting a player down and we don't know what happened in practices before ViVi lost her starting job.

I am not a believer in developing freshmen by starting them unless they are an outstanding talent or you don't have an alternative. What I believe less in is pulling them after an early mistake or two and not putting them back in. I believe Nancy could develop into a outstanding talent but she is not there now. Why not start ViVi and bring Nancy off the bench after she has some idea of how the game is flowing.

Clearly according to some of you she wasn't right for that game. So if that is the case why start her. Sherri should have known that before the game. Why not let her back in when ViVi had to come out.

I have always been critical of Sherri's sub plans. She does not seem to go into the game with a plan for her rotations. For the longest she almost refused to use some of the talent on the bench and starters were playing 30+ minutes game after game. Now she seems to have an abundance of riches. But halfway through the season do we know what LaNeshia Williams role, Derica Wyatt's role, EJ's role, Morgan Rich's role. Other than Rich, they have little or no activity for periods at a time and then show up in critical time frames. In all fairness what happens in practice could infleunce that. But other than Carter, who seems to be Maddie's backup, what is the role of the other 9 players on the team. Some like Kellogg and Penzo would probably be at the end of the bench but even Penzo has shown up in some tight situations. She is not a bad player but she shoud get her minutes in blowout situations.

This is not a blacket criticism about Sherri. She is a good coach and has a record to prove it. But she is not perfect and I believe in being balanced. We have not done as well the last few years possibly because she is now competing with better coaches and better players than she has in the past. In Mulkey, Llanusa and Dungee we seem to be getting better players lately but still depending on a fair number of under the radar players. Those kind of players tend to be inconsistent.

Last edited:
OK. This is going to sound dumb. But, I think it has some applications.

When I lived in Germany in the seventies, I had some long discussions with a rather old man who had been a German colonel (his claims). He made an observation. When the structure was maintained, the German fighting machine was superb. The men were regimented and knew exactly what to do. But, if you cut off the supply lines or killed off the officers or key non-coms, the Germans were no longer effective. But, the Americans became perhaps even more dangerous. They had lived a different life, one in which there was a need to think for themselves (I guess that he meant rural America). They adapted, thought of ways to accomplish some goal.

I think this applies a lot in coaching, and in teaching for that matter. You can regiment by teaching facts to be regurgitated. But, does that teach what to do?

When I watch Kim Mulkey's team, it may be the most disciplined team in the nation. They execute brilliantly, and they devastate lesser teams. Yet, when they run up against an adversary that is their equal in talent, like a UConn, they don't execute as well. They are thrown out of their rhythm, game plan. This happened when they met Texas A&M with A&M winning the title. It was like A&M had more control than they should have.

UConn, on the other hand, is very well disciplined. Yet, it seems that they don't really need Geno during a game. Their players seem to be able to adapt on the fly. It isn't as regimented. They are taught basketball, as opposed to discipline. As long as the robotic technique works, it wins. At times, it doesn't.

I don't see Sherri as a regimented disciplinarian. I think she wants her players to understand and accomplish on their own. She does use discipline for one thing---her inbounds plays. They work. I look at some teams as nothing more than a series of inbound plays.

I think that the best team that Sherri had was that type of team. The 2002 team was a match for the 2002 UConn team. I don't know that any other team in history was a match for that 2002 UConn team until Breanna Stewart and her crew came along. That team seemed to think on their own. They seemed to be an extension of Sherri on the court, especially Stacy. I think Sherri was hoping that Morgan Hook and Maddie Manning would be the next Stacy. I don't know that Morgan had the talent. I think Maddie does, but she hasn't shown the temperament yet.

I do think that Sherri is assembling the makings of another potential good team. I had hoped that Maddie would fulfill her potential. But, we could really use her next year, if she would come back. We need a steadying influence on the Vivi, Nancy, EJ, Gabbi group when we had our three freshmen. I have very high hopes for Ana and Shaina Pellington. They seem to be the type of building blocks that you would need. I like having a forward who loves to rebound. The description reminds me of Nina Davis, whom I love. But, if we do make it into a title team, I think it will be because they buy into understanding basketball and learning what to do on the floor themselves. Nancy and Vivi inside with a couple of shooting guards and a point who is as fast as DRob? That is what I hope is coming. That would make Nancy into a unique commodity, a very tall player with a team around her.

Nancy has good feet for her size, she is bad @ moving them right now and that is her issue.
It makes sense to start her though- can build her confidence, plus we have a pretty good chance of controlling the tip every time. She's still a project, when she gets tired she makes some bad errors. Dungee hasn't done much in a while ether, but I like her game still- and I think she'll pull some big games out of a hat yet.

It was great to see Vivi play well. We need her to be playing like that again bad.

Seriously though. If this ever comes together, I really believe we COULD make a final four- I realize that is shooting VERY high right now, because I haven't seen this group put together 40 mins in 3 years. So obviously that is a bold bold statement and way Easier said than done. And I won't be holding my breath for it to happen- But- If it ever comes together, look out. Because we have a ton of talent. We have been saying that for 2-3 years, But if it ever happens- I think we can beat anyone not named Uconn and probably not Baylor- though we play Baylor well usually. What we do need though, is to get back up in that top 16 so we get two games on our court, thats step one.

Nancy has good feet for her size, she is bad @ moving them right now and that is her issue.
It makes sense to start her though- can build her confidence, plus we have a pretty good chance of controlling the tip every time. She's still a project, when she gets tired she makes some bad errors. Dungee hasn't done much in a while ether, but I like her game still- and I think she'll pull some big games out of a hat yet.

It was great to see Vivi play well. We need her to be playing like that again bad.

Seriously though. If this ever comes together, I really believe we COULD make a final four- I realize that is shooting VERY high right now, because I haven't seen this group put together 40 mins in 3 years. So obviously that is a bold bold statement and way Easier said than done. And I won't be holding my breath for it to happen- But- If it ever comes together, look out. Because we have a ton of talent. We have been saying that for 2-3 years, But if it ever happens- I think we can beat anyone not named Uconn and probably not Baylor- though we play Baylor well usually. What we do need though, is to get back up in that top 16 so we get two games on our court, thats step one.
+1

When you look around the country, there are UConn, Baylor, South Carolina,and who? LIke Washington did last year, someone could make the Final Four this year that is one of the next twenty.

Back