Iowa State

There was one aspect of last night's win that we should celebrate. Once we made a twelve-point run to come from eight down to four up, every time that Iowa State threatened to catch us, a different player responded with points to hold off Iowa State.

Third quarter:

7:27 34-32 Carlton hit a layup
7:12 36-32 Vivi hit a layup

4:19 36-35 Johnson hit a free throw
4:07 38-35 Gabbi hit a layup

1:55 42-39 Carlton hit a layup
1:34 44-39 Treece hit a jumper

Fourth quarter:

4:49 57-55 Johnson hit a jum shot
4:32 58-55 Gioya hit a free throw
3:58 59-55 Peyton hit a free throw

2:57 61-57 Johnson hit two free throws
2:40 63-57 Maddie hit a layup

Iowa State never scored again after that layup. Six different players responded.

The long post above, Syb: This may be the most accurate analysis you've ever presented and the smartest things you've ever said.

I must be sick. Did I just type a praise post for Syb?

Even a blind pig finds an acorn... LOL

OK. This is going to sound dumb. But, I think it has some applications.

When I lived in Germany in the seventies, I had some long discussions with a rather old man who had been a German colonel (his claims). He made an observation. When the structure was maintained, the German fighting machine was superb. The men were regimented and knew exactly what to do. But, if you cut off the supply lines or killed off the officers or key non-coms, the Germans were no longer effective. But, the Americans became perhaps even more dangerous. They had lived a different life, one in which there was a need to think for themselves (I guess that he meant rural America). They adapted, thought of ways to accomplish some goal.

I think this applies a lot in coaching, and in teaching for that matter. You can regiment by teaching facts to be regurgitated. But, does that teach what to do?

When I watch Kim Mulkey's team, it may be the most disciplined team in the nation. They execute brilliantly, and they devastate lesser teams. Yet, when they run up against an adversary that is their equal in talent, like a UConn, they don't execute as well. They are thrown out of their rhythm, game plan. This happened when they met Texas A&M with A&M winning the title. It was like A&M had more control than they should have.

UConn, on the other hand, is very well disciplined. Yet, it seems that they don't really need Geno during a game. Their players seem to be able to adapt on the fly. It isn't as regimented. They are taught basketball, as opposed to discipline. As long as the robotic technique works, it wins. At times, it doesn't.

I don't see Sherri as a regimented disciplinarian. I think she wants her players to understand and accomplish on their own. She does use discipline for one thing---her inbounds plays. They work. I look at some teams as nothing more than a series of inbound plays.

I think that the best team that Sherri had was that type of team. The 2002 team was a match for the 2002 UConn team. I don't know that any other team in history was a match for that 2002 UConn team until Breanna Stewart and her crew came along. That team seemed to think on their own. They seemed to be an extension of Sherri on the court, especially Stacy. I think Sherri was hoping that Morgan Hook and Maddie Manning would be the next Stacy. I don't know that Morgan had the talent. I think Maddie does, but she hasn't shown the temperament yet.

I do think that Sherri is assembling the makings of another potential good team. I had hoped that Maddie would fulfill her potential. But, we could really use her next year, if she would come back. We need a steadying influence on the Vivi, Nancy, EJ, Gabbi group when we had our three freshmen. I have very high hopes for Ana and Shaina Pellington. They seem to be the type of building blocks that you would need. I like having a forward who loves to rebound. The description reminds me of Nina Davis, whom I love. But, if we do make it into a title team, I think it will be because they buy into understanding basketball and learning what to do on the floor themselves. Nancy and Vivi inside with a couple of shooting guards and a point who is as fast as DRob? That is what I hope is coming. That would make Nancy into a unique commodity, a very tall player with a team around her.

Jessica Coody interviewed Maddie on last weeks Sooners Sports Spotlight or Talk (weekly sports show covering all sports) and she said the only reason she got her master's degree is that she wants to be a coach and Sherri told her that if she wanted to coach, she needed to get her master's. It would be nice to have Maddie back next year but if she's wanting to coach and she's completed with her degree, she probably will move on, especially since so many of her teammates that she's played with the most will be leaving this year as well. She said she had no plans to get a master's degree until Sherri said she needed to if she wanted to coach.

Jessica Coody interviewed Maddie on last weeks Sooners Sports Spotlight or Talk (weekly sports show covering all sports) and she said the only reason she got her master's degree is that she wants to be a coach and Sherri told her that if she wanted to coach, she needed to get her master's. It would be nice to have Maddie back next year but if she's wanting to coach and she's completed with her degree, she probably will move on, especially since so many of her teammates that she's played with the most will be leaving this year as well. She said she had no plans to get a master's degree until Sherri said she needed to if she wanted to coach.

I would take that to mean she wants to coach at the D1 level since you don't need a Masters to coach HS ball.

I would take that to mean she wants to coach at the D1 level since you don't need a Masters to coach HS ball.

Probably so. I tried to find link to show on SoonerSports.tv but couldn't. They usually replay them so it might be on again.

I'm not sure how that affects the decision. If she wanted to coach, she could use another year of being included in the types of decisions that a coach makes. She might actually become what Sherri had hoped, an extension of herself on the floor, like Stacy. I think Thrailkill and Rowland joked (?) on the show when he replaced Sherri once last year that Maddie might leave here with a Ph.D. A year to showcase her knowledge of basketball on the floor might help in the attempt to get a decent coaching assistant's job.

In her case, a Ph.D.'s dissertation involving rehabilitation from an ACL injury might be a rather easy place to start.

Wow! Fennelly was chippy at post game presser! Reporter said OU switched up their defense a lot. Did you all prepare for this? Bill looked stunned and paused for a few seconds and whispered loudly into microphone....YES! That's my job!

He also said he had an email he was keeping and someone later asked him what the email said. He said someone emailed him and said he should be looking for other job opportunities!

That was interesting to watch. I'm not sure I've ever seen him as frustrated as he was in the Press Conference. I have thought about it since then and wonder if it was because he was pretty confident that they would beat us - but failed to do so.

I admit that game has left me wondering just how good we are. At times we looked pretty bad, then for short spurts we would look really strong. However to win on the road in conference is always difficult - especially at Iowa State over the years. So you have to be pleased with that.

It was interesting to listen to Sherri with Toby Rowland the other night. She honestly seems to believe we have the potential to be exceptionally good. I admit she was right about our 3 point shooting going to get better a few games ago ( I was wrong to doubt her) - so maybe she is correct again this time. I really hope so.

That was interesting to watch. I'm not sure I've ever seen him as frustrated as he was in the Press Conference. I have thought about it since then and wonder if it was because he was pretty confident that they would beat us - but failed to do so.

I admit that game has left me wondering just how good we are. At times we looked pretty bad, then for short spurts we would look really strong. However to win on the road in conference is always difficult - especially at Iowa State over the years. So you have to be pleased with that.

It was interesting to listen to Sherri with Toby Rowland the other night. She honestly seems to believe we have the potential to be exceptionally good. I admit she was right about our 3 point shooting going to get better a few games ago ( I was wrong to doubt her) - so maybe she is correct again this time. I really hope so.

I just don't think I-State is as good as they were a few years ago although I may be wrong. Still it's big to win on the road in Big 12 and I-State used to almost always win against us in Ames even when we seemed to have better teams.

I think our biggest problem is shooting. I just don't understand how we can ALL shoot as bad as we do. I think the poor shooting affects the mindset of team after a while, during a game, and then we slack on other parts of the game. But then again, I see a lot of teams shoot poorly anymore. The freshmen, I understand, are going to go thru ups and downs during their first year. Not so much with upperclassmen.

It seems to me that our poor shooting is defined by the early shots of Peyton, Maddie, and Vivi. If Maddie, especially, hits early, the team seems to get into a flow, like last year against BYU when Maddie hit 13 in the first, resulting in a twenty + win against a good BYU team. Peyton seems to have a similar effect, but not as much.

It seems that if Peyton hits early, Maddie is less inclined to shoot, preferring to pass to Peyton or Vivi. IS is the first game in which Maddie continued to shoot even after missing early shots. Usually, she clams up if she misses the first two or three. Peyton is likely to continue, even if 3 for 15.

But, I think Maddie also relieves a lot of pressure. She can hit shots that nobody else has the ability to shoot. It tends to take the pressure off of other shooters if she hits. This team shoots well when comfortable, pack mentality.

Iowa State lost to TCU today. Fennelly is in for a long year in the Big12.

Back