March Madness and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think children would be at risk, too. The thing is for people who are not high risk they will be the conduit for the virus to spread to the high risk group.

Yep, about 90% of the symptomatic cases are among people ages 30-69. What that means though is that a lot of young asymptomatic people who have the virus are running around spreading it far and wide.

I would think children would be at risk, too. The thing is for people who are not high risk they will be the conduit for the virus to spread to the high risk group.

suprisingly they havent been thus far that is something the medical community is a little confused about

You basically don't know what you're talking about. Sure, the mortality is lower, but it can still kill anyone.

We are being screened by answering a series of questions and probably getting our temp taken.

has any previously healthy person under 60 died of this ??

has any child died of this??

I agree with Steve, this is a big deal. Those who want to claim it is not that deadly or contagious and it is all liberal media hype are not paying attention. Yes, it is more deadly if you are old, but all ages are contracting it at a very rapid rate-2-3 X more contagious than the flu. Yes, you still have a 97% chance of surviving it if you contract it but the ones who are warning about it are doctors and health organizations. It has crashed markets, potentially caused a global recession, or at minimum definitely a slowdown, caused shortage of medical supplies, halted non-essential travel and practically shut down the travel industry. As someone that works in the investment arena, it is a big deal.

Yet many want to claim it's just hype and fear-mongering.

As it relates to sporting events, Washington may be an issue. There was a vendor at the MLS/XFL arena that has contracted it and now they are trying to determine who came in contact with this person. Since it spreads to 2-3 people, who knows how many may get it from that game. The NBA and NHL has basically told their athletes to halt all fan interaction, like high-fives or even consider autographs. By the time March Madness hits, I can see some places doing voluntary confinements or do what Europe did by prohibiting spectators at soccer games. And Steve is right, the reason it has slowed in China is because they basically shut down entire cities of millions of people.

I can see basketball games in the NCAA or certain NBA cities played in front of crowds like an OU women's game.

By the way... 0.2% mortality is DOUBLE THE MORTALITY RATE OF SEASONAL FLU!

Your link says the mortality rate for all people without pre-existing conditions is 0.9%. Do you think that's low? That's 9 TIMES THE MORTALITY RATE OF SEASONAL FLU!

By the way... 0.2% mortality is DOUBLE THE MORTALITY RATE OF SEASONAL FLU!

Your link says the mortality rate for all people without pre-existing conditions is 0.9%. Do you think that's low? That's 9 TIMES THE MORTALITY RATE OF SEASONAL FLU!

that is likely at least double the true rate becasue the asymptomatic rate seems to be at least 50%

still clearlly it is deadly and dangerous but

if you are not old and in reasonably good health it is NOT that big of a deal

that is likely at least double the true rate becasue the asymptomatic rate seems to be at least 50%

That’s just not true. People with no pre-existing conditions are nine times more likely to die if they contract Covid-19 than ALL people who catch the seasonal flu

The otherwise healthy 34 year-old physician who discovered this virus in China, and who blew the whistle and sounded the alarm died of Covid-19
I bet you that had more to do with the location from which he blew his whistle than the ferocity of the virus.

I'm not going to sweat it. It's going to do what it does whether I drink a beer or gnaw on my nails like Olive Oyl.

I never said age wasn't a factor, of course the disease is more fatal for the elderly. And I also said that younger people have a lower mortality rate but that doesn't mean it can't kill you! See the link I posted.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be concerned. It would be a mistake to bury our heads in the sand and ignore the risks.

When my wife and I go out in public we wash our hands in soap and water, as well as use an antiseptic hand sanitizer when we get home. We also spray a saline solution in our nostrils. I’m not sure if that helps, but we can’t afford to be affected by a high risk virus or a bacterial infection at our age.

From an epidemiological standpoint, I expect the mortality rate to significantly decrease because:
- Many people have the virus currently and don't know it (haven't been tested) and will survive.
- There are a segment of people who had the virus (who were never tested) and have already recovered.

Thus, from a metrics standpoint, I don't believe we have (or will have) an accurate mortality rate. With that said, it's concerning that it spreads so easily, but I also think we are on the right path to getting it under control through various measures (isolation, quarantine, etc.) as well as several medications being administered that have worked on a few patients.

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be concerned. It would be a mistake to bury our heads in the sand and ignore the risks.

When my wife and I go out on public we wash our hands in soap and water, as well as use an antiseptic hand sanitizer when we get home. We also spray a saline solution in our nostrils. I’m not sure if that helps, but we can’t afford to be affected by a high risk virus or a bacterial infection at our age.

Those are all good practices.

That’s just not true. People with no pre-existing conditions are nine times more likely to die if they contract Covid-19 than ALL people who catch the seasonal flu

that is asumming that all those infected number is correct there is a ton of evidence showing that it is not .. that it is wildly underreported ..

if double the number of people are infected then the death rate is way over stated ..

When my wife and I go out in public we wash our hands in soap and water, as well as use an antiseptic hand sanitizer when we get home. We also spray a saline solution in our nostrils. I’m not sure if that helps, but we can’t afford to be affected by a high risk virus or a bacterial infection at our age.

From an epidemiological standpoint, I expect the mortality rate to significantly decrease because:
- Many people have the virus currently and don't know it (haven't been tested) and will survive.
- There are a segment of people who had the virus (who were never tested) and have already recovered.

Thus, from a metrics standpoint, I don't believe we have (or will have) an accurate mortality rate. With that said, it's concerning that it spreads so easily, but I also think we are on the right path to getting it under control through various measures (isolation, quarantine, etc.) as well as several medications being administered that have worked on a few patients.

i very much agree with all of this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back