NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

As much as I love my Lakers, the only way we're beating Denver is if they are not playing their best. That certainly can happen, especially with a defending champion since the desire / urgency won't be the same as the prior year. I worry about the Lakers defensively, plus how they will compete on days which DeAngelo Russell does not play well.

As for Blake Griffin, I'll be curious how many votes he gets for the HOF the first year he becomes eligible. If he gets a good number, then there is a chance he will be inducted at some point. Those who do not think he was quite great enough to make it, be sure you are using NBA standards - not NFL or MLB (which are harder to get in). In the NBA, they will factor in your college career as well as your NBA career. They also do not hold it against guys who were injured a lot if they showed greatness while they played - think Bill Walton and Ralph Sampson. Blake had 6 healthy years and was an All-Star in every one of them. I don't know the number of eligible players with 6+ NBA All-Star selections not inducted, but guessing it is a very low number. I'm very confident he will be inducted, but really don't know the WHEN part.

They won't win the West.
Probably not...just too inexperienced.
But I would not be surprised to see them in the WCF.

Whatever happens they have exceeded expectations for this year but it would still be a dissappointment if they made an early exit

As much as I love my Lakers, the only way we're beating Denver is if they are not playing their best. That certainly can happen, especially with a defending champion since the desire / urgency won't be the same as the prior year. I worry about the Lakers defensively, plus how they will compete on days which DeAngelo Russell does not play well.

As for Blake Griffin, I'll be curious how many votes he gets for the HOF the first year he becomes eligible. If he gets a good number, then there is a chance he will be inducted at some point. Those who do not think he was quite great enough to make it, be sure you are using NBA standards - not NFL or MLB (which are harder to get in). In the NBA, they will factor in your college career as well as your NBA career. They also do not hold it against guys who were injured a lot if they showed greatness while they played - think Bill Walton and Ralph Sampson. Blake had 6 healthy years and was an All-Star in every one of them. I don't know the number of eligible players with 6+ NBA All-Star selections not inducted, but guessing it is a very low number. I'm very confident he will be inducted, but really don't know the WHEN part.
he should be inducted just on the fact that he jumped over a kia

I don't think so either. The playoffs will be a different grind, and I think their lack of a post presence will be exploited greatly.....
teams in the nba that throw the ball in the "post" ..

hmmmmmm pretty much no one other than philly and a little bit of denver and they don't do it much either ..

I don't think so either. The playoffs will be a different grind, and I think their lack of a post presence will be exploited greatly...
Kinda interesting that the stats say Chet is a rim protector.

This is despite him being attacked more than anyone in the inside than anyone else in the NBA. Look at the attempts it's more than anyone on the list.

teams in the nba that throw the ball in the "post" ..

hmmmmmm pretty much no one other than philly and a little bit of denver and they don't do it much either ..
Not so much throwing the ball into the post, but defending the post. The Lakers exploited them by putting AD on the block, and letting him destroy them in the paint. They also showed the best way to defend them is getting the ball out of Shai's hands and not letting him play one on one. He worked hard to score when he was doubled. I'm not convinced Holmgren can protect the rim the way it must be protected in the playoffs. The game slows down, and 1/2 court sets will be much more important. Remember how LA beat Memphis last year? Slowed the game down, made someone besides Morant handle in clutch moments, and assault their weak post presence.... I could be wrong, but that will be the formula, and I'm not sure the young guys besides Shai are ready yet....

he get very very few post touches ... lots of elbow faceups ..
They make a concentrated effort to put him on the block when they play OKC. Don't forget LBJ is still one of the best at scoring at the rim also. LA isn't the best matchup for OKC. PLayoff basketball always becomes about the matchups and adjustments.

They make a concentrated effort to put him on the block when they play OKC. Don't forget LBJ is still one of the best at scoring at the rim also. LA isn't the best matchup for OKC. PLayoff basketball always becomes about the matchups and adjustments.

OKC lucked out not getting LA in the first round, but they'd sure love LA in the WCF if that means dodging the Nuggets. A healthy Nuggets team would smoke them (and probably everybody else...again). In a few months, Jokic may be in the discussion for top 3 player of all-time.

@BoulderSooner Could we have a thread devoted to the NBA playoffs (maybe even one on the NBA board)? I keep clicking here thinking there's news about a Sooner in the NBA, but no...

OKC lucked out not getting LA in the first round, but they'd sure love LA in the WCF if that means dodging the Nuggets. A healthy Nuggets team would smoke them (and probably everybody else...again). In a few months, Jokic may be in the discussion for top 3 player of all-time.
I agree.

@BoulderSooner Could we have a thread devoted to the NBA playoffs (maybe even one on the NBA board)? I keep clicking here thinking there's news about a Sooner in the NBA, but no...
Hopefully it wouldn't go the way of the Transfer Portal thread because a bunch of regulars have ruined that thing with the constant back and forth that happens daily in almost every thread. I get what you are saying, but this probably the least derailed thread which is actively getting new posts. I apologize for discussing the Lakers. I will take it to the NBA board, and I hope all the Moser yes, and Moser no crowd can be as respectful EVERYWHERE else....

Hopefully it wouldn't go the way of the Transfer Portal thread because a bunch of regulars have ruined that thing with the constant back and forth that happens daily in almost every thread. I get what you are saying, but this probably the least derailed thread which is actively getting new posts. I apologize for discussing the Lakers. I will take it to the NBA board, and I hope all the Moser yes, and Moser no crowd can be as respectful EVERYWHERE else....
no reason to move the discussion this is what this thread is for ALL NBA talk not just OU players ..

Back