NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

It’s absolutely ridiculous that the thunder game is not a national broadcast
it was .. national broadcast on NBA tv also local on Bally (as all none ABC first round games are in EVERY market)

the difference of course is that nba tv is still subject to the blackout rules

Six seasons in LA. Two missed playoffs. And two first round exits. Woof!

Lots of reasons for that, though Lebron's play is not one of them. You simply can't ask for any more production from an NBA player pushing 40 years old. What has hurt is when they let LeBron try to play the role of GM. Memo to all current and former NBA superstars - if your name is not Jerry West, stay out of the personnel decision-making, and let those qualified do their jobs. The Lakers simply got beat by a superior opponent again. With LeBron and Davis taking up nearly all the cap space, there is no way to bring in another star. The fact Austin Reaves was able to develop into the third or fourth best player on the team has made them more competitive...but one can only ask so much from a player who supposedly was not good enough to be drafted (especially defensively).

We see this in all sports, but so few can transition from being a great player to being a great head coach or GM. To my knowledge, the only great NBA player who was also a great head coach was Lenny Wilkins.

Last edited:
What has hurt is when they let LeBron try to play the role of GM. Memo to all current and former NBA superstars - if your name is not Jerry West, stay out of the personnel decision-making, and let those qualified do their jobs. The Lakers simply got beat by a superior opponent again.
this is pretty spot on ..

it is not an outlier that this years team played better after the trade deadline (once everyone knew they were staying on the team) that is pretty common with lebron teams and how he pretty much always is pushing for guys to be moved ..

Lots of reasons for that, though Lebron's play is not one of them. You simply can't ask for any more production from an NBA player pushing 40 years old. What has hurt is when they let LeBron try to play the role of GM. Memo to all current and former NBA superstars - if your name is not Jerry West, stay out of the personnel decision-making, and let those qualified do their jobs. The Lakers simply got beat by a superior opponent again. With LeBron and Davis taking up nearly all the cap space, there is no way to bring in another star. The fact Austin Reaves was able to develop into the third or fourth best player on the team has made them more competitive...but one can only ask so much from a player who supposedly was not good enough to be drafted (especially defensively).

We see this in all sports, but so few can transition from being a great player to being a great head coach or GM. To my knowledge, the only great NBA player who was also a great head coach was Lenny Wilkins

Bill Russell was a HOF player probably not a HOF coach but won 2 titles as a player/coach

Don Nelson. Started like 10 years for some great Celtics teams averaged double figure points. Scored over 10k as a player. But he was a HOF coach.

Jerry Sloan was considered one of the best defensive players in his era. Also averaged 14 points per game. He was a HOF coach.

Larry Bird is one of the best players of all time. Also had a great run in the 90s-early 00s as a coach. Went to the East Finals to lose to the GOAT Bulls and lost to the Lakers their first year in the Shaq/Kobe run in 2000. Won 68% of his games as a coach. Also won an executive of the year in 2012. I would say Bird had success in all 3.

Rudy Tomjanovich was 5 time all star and scored more points per game than Wilkens. Won 2 NBA Titles with the Rockets in the 90s as a coach.

Yeah you are right it doesn't happen often but has happened some.

Bill Russell was a HOF player probably not a HOF coach but won 2 titles as a player/coach

Don Nelson. Started like 10 years for some great Celtics teams averaged double figure points. Scored over 10k as a player. But he was a HOF coach.

Jerry Sloan was considered one of the best defensive players in his era. Also averaged 14 points per game. He was a HOF coach.

Larry Bird is one of the best players of all time. Also had a great run in the 90s-early 00s as a coach. Went to the East Finals to lose to the GOAT Bulls and lost to the Lakers their first year in the Shaq/Kobe run in 2000. Won 68% of his games as a coach. Also won an executive of the year in 2012. I would say Bird had success in all 3.

Rudy Tomjanovich was 5 time all star and scored more points per game than Wilkens. Won 2 NBA Titles with the Rockets in the 90s as a coach.

Yeah you are right it doesn't happen often but has happened some.

I'm familiar with all of those guys...Rudy T probably comes the closest to Lenny Wilkins as a great player and head coach. Nelson and Sloan were good players, but great head coaches. Russell and Bird were short-term head coaches, though obviously legends as players. The problem (and it's with all sports) is that the best of the best lack the PATIENCE to deal with 1) those who don't catch on as quickly as they did, and 2) those who don't strive to be great as they can be. The best NBA example? Magic Johnson took over as interim head coach of the Lakers 30 years ago. His first game was televised. Nick Van Excel was lazy in defensive transition. Magic called a timeout and was so angry with Van Excel, he walked on the court toward him while SCREAMING.

I'm familiar with all of those guys...Rudy T probably comes the closest to Lenny Wilkins as a great player and head coach. Nelson and Sloan were good players, but great head coaches. Russell and Bird were short-term head coaches, though obviously legends as players. The problem (and it's with all sports) is that the best of the best lack the PATIENCE to deal with 1) those who don't catch on as quickly as they did, and 2) those who don't strive to be great as they can be. The best NBA example? Magic Johnson took over as interim head coach of the Lakers 30 years ago. His first game was televised. Nick Van Excel was lazy in defensive transition. Magic called a timeout and was so angry with Van Excel, he walked on the court toward him while SCREAMING.
The best former players turned coaches were role player turned coaches. Riley, Jackson, Kerr, KC Jones are the big ones. Riley has had sucess as an exec too.

Lots of reasons for that, though Lebron's play is not one of them. You simply can't ask for any more production from an NBA player pushing 40 years old. What has hurt is when they let LeBron try to play the role of GM. Memo to all current and former NBA superstars - if your name is not Jerry West, stay out of the personnel decision-making, and let those qualified do their jobs. The Lakers simply got beat by a superior opponent again. With LeBron and Davis taking up nearly all the cap space, there is no way to bring in another star. The fact Austin Reaves was able to develop into the third or fourth-best player on the team has made them more competitive...but one can only ask so much from a player who supposedly was not good enough to be drafted (especially defensively).

We see this in all sports, but so few can transition from being a great player to being a great head coach or GM. To my knowledge, the only great NBA player who was also a great head coach was Lenny Wilkins.
I agree with this.

If LeBron leaves do the Lakers try to rebuild with AD and what they have? Or do they try and trade what they can and get some picks.

The biggest problem with trying to rebuild with AD is that his body seems to always be hurt. Just like with other bigger guys in the NBA like Embiid and Zion they always seem like they are getting injured. Would they try and sign a free agent like say Paul George or Maxey to build around? Not sure you can build much around George because he's on the back side of his career.

If LeBron leaves do the Lakers try to rebuild with AD and what they have? Or do they try and trade what they can and get some picks.

The biggest problem with trying to rebuild with AD is that his body seems to always be hurt. Just like with other bigger guys in the NBA like Embiid and Zion they always seem like they are getting injured. Would they try and sign a free agent like say Paul George or Maxey to build around? Not sure you can build much around George because he's on the back side of his career.

Maxey maybe. Hard pass on George. The main thing will be maintaining cap flexibility for the next star FA. Would trade AD if the market is there, but might not be at his age. Would need 3 first rounders or equivalent to think about moving. He pairs very well with other stars.

I don't think LeBron goes anywhere. It's just leverage. He's been doing one year deals essentially for a while.

I was at Don Nelson's last game as a Iowa Hawkeye and his farewell to the fans in the old fieldhouse there almost brought the crowd to tears.

On Majority of the betting sites, the Lakers are the favorite to land Trae Young.

Maxey maybe. Hard pass on George. The main thing will be maintaining cap flexibility for the next star FA. Would trade AD if the market is there, but might not be at his age. Would need 3 first rounders or equivalent to think about moving. He pairs very well with other stars.

I don't think LeBron goes anywhere. It's just leverage. He's been doing one year deals essentially for a while.
maxey is not really a FA he is restricted and the only reason he hasn't signed with the 76ers yet is his 13 mil hold allows the 76ers to have max or almost max space ... so they can maybe sign PG

maxey is not really a FA he is restricted and the only reason he hasn't signed with the 76ers yet is his 13 mil hold allows the 76ers to have max or almost max space ... so they can maybe sign PG
Yeah, he won't be a Laker. Just saying he might make the cut of what the Lakers are looking for. Otherwise it's all cap flexibility and wait for the next star.

Lakers will meet whatever Lebron demands and he'll be back next year. Run it back and try to make slight improvements. Nuggets are the top team and 4-1 doesn't tell the story how close this was. Lakers led in every game at half and could easily have won if Murray missed his last two shots. Nuggets deserved to win obviously, but had the Dejounte Murray trade happened, I do think Lakers take this if everything else played out the same.

On Majority of the betting sites, the Lakers are the favorite to land Trae Young.
1. I don't think that would fix their problems. Heck, might make them worse.

2. I'm not NBA salary cap expert, but what would they have to do to keep Lebron/AD at their current amounts or the max, and add TY at what I'd expect to be somewhere close to the max? Could they do that and keep Reaves? Hachimura?

This isn't my Lakers hate talking, but I just don't see how they can build a true Championship consider with both Lebron and AD on the roster at their current salaries.

I don’t see how Lebron & Trae would work. If I’m the Lakers I give up on a 3rd star and revamp players 3-8.

Edit: Nevermind. They have players that are good, but the way they play (especially in the playoffs) is horrible for role players.

Last edited:
1. I don't think that would fix their problems. Heck, might make them worse.

2. I'm not NBA salary cap expert, but what would they have to do to keep Lebron/AD at their current amounts or the max, and add TY at what I'd expect to be somewhere close to the max? Could they do that and keep Reaves? Hachimura?

This isn't my Lakers hate talking, but I just don't see how they can build a true Championship consider with both Lebron and AD on the roster at their current salaries.
Trae Young isn't going to do anything to fix the Denver problem, and I don't think any other problems. If Lebron stays he will still dominate the ball most of the time, and the backcourt defense gets worse with Young.

Back