NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

That Trae Young kid may be okay in the NBA.

47 points 16 assists 7 rebounds for Trae right now

He fell apart the last 2 OTs, 6 turnovers
He was wore out after an incredble 4th and first 2 OTs. But they also kept doubling him and the rest of the Hawks made too many mistakes. There was a few times he got inside but a player couldn't catch a pass to get a good look at the basket. Vince played over 50 minutes at 42 years old. That's gotta be a record for someone over 40.

Buddy had 23 points 3-8 from 3 in a loss to the Clippers. Looking more and more like the Kings probably won't make the playoffs.

Buddy had 23 points 3-8 from 3 in a loss to the Clippers. Looking more and more like the Kings probably won't make the playoffs.

20 games left and they are 2 games out in the loss column of the 7th seed

Long way to go

Need Bagley

Trae became only the second rookie in NBA history (Allen Iverson the other) to score 120+ points over a 3-game span. I think the talk of the Mavs fleecing the Hawks to get Doncic may have been a bit premature.

Points aside, both Blake and Buddy are in shooting slumps...but I don't anticipate that lasting.

Trae became only the second rookie in NBA history (Allen Iverson the other) to score 120+ points over a 3-game span. I think the talk of the Mavs fleecing the Hawks to get Doncic may have been a bit premature.

Points aside, both Blake and Buddy are in shooting slumps...but I don't anticipate that lasting.

Hawks would be much better off with Doncic and minus the 10th pick in this draft.

Trae looks like he's going to be very good. The problem is that Doncic is absurd. Trae's also going to need to start playing defense. He's doing the same thing he did at OU where he's not even really defending anyone. It's not a coincidence that the Hawks are the worst defensive team in the league. He doesn't have to be a good defender, just a not embarrassingly bad one.

Last edited:
Hawks would be much better off with Doncic and minus the 10th pick in this draft.

Trae looks like he's going to be very good. The problem is that Doncic is absurd. Trae's also going to need to start playing defense. He's doing the same thing he did at OU where he's not even really defending anyone. It's not a coincidence that the Hawks are the worst defensive team in the league. He doesn't have to be a good defender, just a not embarrassingly bad one.

If I were taking over a franchise, and had the choice of Atlanta or Dallas, I'd take Atlanta.

Wayman's comments aren't really controversial at the moment.

the Mavs may very well end up as the winner of the trade. However, two months ago, it was looking like a lopsided trade - it no longer looks that way at all. You can’t judge this trade in 2019 and maybe not 2020. Proof? Find one article from two years ago which said the Kings won the Buddy Hield trade for DeMarcus Cousins. Now, find one which doesn’t crown the Kings as the clear winner.

If I were taking over a franchise, and had the choice of Atlanta or Dallas, I'd take Atlanta.

Doncic may not be putting up as good numbers with Atlanta's roster and no Trae Young. They have the Collins kid who looks good and an extremely old Vince Carter. That's about it on this roster. The guard play on the Hawks roster outside of Young is really damn bad.

Last edited:

Until the trade is complete it is worthless speculating

That has nothing to do with the Luka/Trae trade. Dallas's roster sucks because Cuban has ran that thing into the ground since the title.

That has nothing to do with the Luka/Trae trade. Dallas's roster sucks because Cuban has ran that thing into the ground since the title.

The Mavs are in worse shape because they have been hemorrhaging first round picks, of which they are guilty of doing in the discussed trade. Without Luka, the Mavs could be in serious competition for the Zion sweepstakes, especially considering they're in the West and have a ballsy owner in Cuban (read: tank-city). Trae + Zion or Barrett would be much more promising than Luka by himself -- no discussion warranted.

I'm not saying Trae will be better, or even that the Hawks will win the trade, but saying "the talk of the Mavs fleecing the Hawks to get Doncic may have been a bit premature" is not controversial. We'll have to see how this plays out. I'm not going to have an extended discussion about this, because I know you were the most outspoken person on here about what a bad trade it was. Given that, combined with a little bit of psych 101, it's clear your mind is made up.

The Mavs will have a good battery to build around with Luke and Porzingis.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

The Mavs will have a good battery to build around with Luke and Porzingis.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

On paper it sounds great, but how are they going to build around them? They had to take on THJ's 19M contract for the next two years, and Porzingis will be off of his rookie contract soon. Porzingis is great if healthy, but that's a big if. I don't ever trust guys over 7 feet with major injury histories. Essentially, they have to strike gold this offseason while they still have some cap space. They also shipped out DSJ, their 2019 pick (Hawks), and their 2021 pick.

To summarize their first round picks:

2012: Traded
2013: Traded
2014: Traded
2015: Drafted Justin Anderson - who is now on a different team
2016: Traded
2017: DSJ (traded to Knicks)
2018: Doncic
2019: Traded to Hawks
2020: Own
2021: Likely traded to Knicks

So yes, they have a lot to build around, but they have very little to build with.

Meanwhile, the Hawks are building around Trae and John Collins, and they own all of their first round picks in addition to a first rounder from Mavs this year, a possible first rounder from the Cavs next year, a top-14 protected first round pick from the Thunder in 2022, and an assortment of 2nd round picks. In addition, they've kept several of their recent first round picks including Prince, Huerter, Spellman, and Bembry.

Back