New Strength Coach 2

Innocent question: Does the basketball S&C coach do it for both the Men's and Women's teams? If so, does Sherri have any input into the decision? Finally, is there a seperate S&C coach for the Women? I think about all the knee injuries in Women's basketball........

No, the men and women have a separate S&C coach. The women's guy also does baseball and helps with football. He's been at OU for several years.

Schmidt may make a recommendation, but he has basically zero say in the new hire. Basketball is basically its own entity at the LNC. While most strength coaches assist in football and then one other sport, the men's basketball strength coach does only basketball, nothing else. They have extremely limited interaction with Schmidt. It's Capel's choice, to be approved by Joe C.

I am glad to hear this and I appreciate the information. I spoke with another strength and conditioning guy who told me the process at OU was different. Of course, he also gave this to me from a S&C point of view. The basketball needs are so much different than football and this makes sense.

The new setup has a few S&C coaches for the womens team. They trade off during the season and have started dividing the duties.

I'd like to think that it isn't Joe C's final decision on where our strength and conditioning coach sits. Maybe he didn't like that one incident, but I'd have to think that Capel was thinking along the same lines for that move to actually happen. Joe C isn't the kind of AD to TELL a coach he has to do something, something that should be his decision.

Either way, it's been posted before that Capel and Darby weren't best buds.

Nothing I have read about Joe C would suggest to me that he is a control freak. I tend to think similarly to you. I just don't see Joe C telling Capel who is and is not on his staff or where people sit.

I could see Joe C talking to Capel about the Darby incident and telling/suggesting that can't happen because regardless of who is right or wrong the 5-30 second image on the TV looks bad. But I don't think a good leader/CEO gets into the daily operations of a division President (and that really is the relationship between Joe C and Coach Capel).

If Joe C. has to tell Coach Capel (or any coach) where people sit, etc., Joe C. really needs to consider a coaching change. You have to trust your key employees and I am not sure they get any more important than a head coach of one of top two money makers.

Ultimately, I have zero inside information and will not speculate. If Darby is gone, then I thank him for his time at OU and hope he finds a good job ASAP.

Joe C. is making the final decision. As far as replacements I cannot discuss that but there are several being considered for the job.

Also as far as the Coach Capel and Darby not being best buds is totally false, they both got along just fine.

Back