New Strength Coach 2

stanley11

Reaction score
Guys I am not being a troll, making things up, or trying to flame Darby. I have really heard that Capel let him go. Any of you that know any players or staff should check on this. Mods you can lock this if you want but I'm telling you there is alot of smoke here.

I think the issue is that as long as Rich has been with the program, we might need to let the situation play out before speculation.

Stanley,

Here is how I'm going to treat this, and it is not anything personal, it is just something that would be done on most any situation of this nature.

As much as speculation is used on all message boards, when it is something like this, you need facts to go along with it.

I don't think you are trying to mess around or anything. You might have the right intentions with this, however, its just something that needs to be "checked" so to speak.

Sure there was a lot of speculation as to if Blake was to stay or go, as the same with WW; but the difference here is that this is talking about a coach/trainer that is being fired. This can be seen through a negative light pretty easily, and its just not going to stay without something to back it up.

I'm sorry to do this, but I'm closing the thread. Once you have something more you can do all the "I told you so's" you want. haha Anyways, carry on, and I hope you have a nice day.

Since tomkar is logged off at the moment, I'm taking the liberty of reopening this thread for two reasons. First, I've found Stanley11 to be a straightforward poster who is not given to making stuff up, plus he has proven in the past that he has connections to the program.

I also received a PM a short time ago from a source I know personally and trust completely, who confirmed that what Stanley11 said is true. Darby is no longer with the program. As far as I'm concerned, this is not a rumor now.

Thanks, Ada, for helping out.

Sorry Stanley, just trying to do my job as best I can. It wasn't anything against you, so yeah. And like Ada said, you have not been an "outlandish" poster, very straight forward. I felt news that sensitive would be best to be put on hold for a moment.

who's going to show off their six pack on opening night now that darby is gone?

what an oaf. i thought making him sit behind the team in the stands spoke volumes.

Is he still with OU? Will Capel bring in an extra basketball guy or a a fitness guy. It would be a good spot for his brother.

I want to thank Stanley11 for sharing this news with us and I want to thank Ada for keeping this thread alive. If you want up to date information about OU basketball, OU Hoops is the place to be. Great job fellas!

:clap

OUHOOPS.COM

I like the idea of having a true strength and conditioning guy there...sure you can work with the athletic dept staff, but it's nice to have a guy who really knows his stuff.

He is no longer at OU. And it was Capel's decision. Capel and Darby never did get along with each other (evident by his sitting behind the bench this year) and Capel decided to get rid of him.

unfortunate. It's hard to force a relationship from another administration. Makes me curious as if it was part of the negotiations with Joe C., or even if Joe C played a part. Usually when there are issues like that, and a guy has been apart of the university for some years, the university will reassign him. OSU has done this with Kyle Keller several times. Some of you guys have noted that Capel and Rich didn't get along, but could this decision be based on performance. If you look at some of the Athletes OU has had over the years, alot of guys never developed physically and some guys never got into shape. AJ, Tony, Hollis, Big O, Bookout, and Gilbert are some examples. In contrast, if you look at OSU and how some of their guys come and looking, and leave looking, it's night and day. Marcus Dove, and Ivan McFarlin are examples. Now both of those guys redshirted, but their is a huge difference.

this is capel's program and I respect his authority and ability to make his own hires.

that said - to sit here and badmouth Darby now is crap. I seem to remember many people who were very happy with him not too long ago. now, suddenly, he's incompetent?

this is capel's program and I respect his authority and ability to make his own hires.

that said - to sit here and badmouth Darby now is crap. I seem to remember many people who were very happy with him not too long ago. now, suddenly, he's incompetent?

I don't know the guy to call him incompetent. However, it doesn't look good on him when three guys go to San Fran and the talk is of how the conditioning is so much better. Either way, he's either not adequate professionally or it's a personal rift. I would rather it be the first than the second because the second is very petty.

Also consider how crucial next year is. Gallon, TMG, and Fitzgerald have weight problems. Hardrick needs work and Pledger can add some athleticism. We've outlined what Willis needs. If you look at the last game we lost, look at their starting pg, sg, and sf. Now look at two of our guys in those positons.

Last edited:
However, it doesn't look good on him when three guys go to San Fran and the talk is of how the conditioning is so much better. Either way, he's either not adequate professionally or it's a personal rift.
ttt

Agree. All we've heard is how Darby was a great strength and conditioning coach, and remember, he is a basketball guy, not some generic strength and fitness coach that doesn't understand hoops and the types of bodies that bball players need.

If he and Capel don't get along on a personal level, fine, chalk it up to that. We know that Darby got in a little trouble before last year. But lets not bad mouth the work the guy did. And pointing out a few athletes who's bodies didn't change is weak. Not everybody can add muscle/weight, and we all know AJ's injury struggles that kept him from practicing, let alone working out. And Hollis' body did change. Maybe not a ton, but some. Again, not everybody's body can be changed drastically. And some kids simply play better lighter/smaller. Nothing wrong with that.

He is no longer at OU. And it was Capel's decision. Capel and Darby never did get along with each other (evident by his sitting behind the bench this year) and Capel decided to get rid of him.
Interesting. Have you heard any names being mentioned as possible candidates for the job?

Last edited:
Darby was one reason Blake felt comfortable committing to OU. I am excited to see who Capel brings in as a replacement. I would love it if we could get someone with an "NBA" connection.

Interesting. Have you heard any names being mentioned as possible candidates for the job?

I haven't... The guy that I found this out from just told me what happened and a little bit behind why the change was made. I didn't ask about any possible replacements or anything and he didn't say anything about it.

This post is laughable. Never got along? Capel was not the reason that Darby wasn't sitting on the bench.

Back