New Strength Coach 2

I am excited to see who Capel brings in as a replacement. I would love it if we could get someone with an "NBA" connection.
I agree. With Jeff's NBA connections, he should have plenty of options to choose from.

I didn't ask about any possible replacements or anything and he didn't say anything about it.
Thanks.

This post is laughable. Never got along? Capel was not the reason that Darby wasn't sitting on the bench.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I have full trust in the person that relayed this info on to me. If you don't want to believe it, don't. But, that is the exact thing I was told.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I have full trust in the person that relayed this info on to me. If you don't want to believe it, don't. But, that is the exact thing I was told.

Thats not true at all. Coach Capel was not responsible for having him sit behind the bench. Whoever told you that was misinformed.

Thats not true at all. Coach Capel was not responsible for having him sit behind the bench. Whoever told you that was misinformed.

Again, to each his own. I'm not here to pick a fight, just letting you guys in on what I've come to learn. I'll try to be a little more discrete with any info I come across from now on. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Again, to each his own. I'm not here to pick a fight, just letting you guys in on what I've come to learn. I'll try to be a little more discrete with any info I come across from now on. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

I will let my past info speak for itself. I am just trying to dispell a falsity. That's all man. Think higher power as the reason for Darby having to sit back (after an incident during last year's Baylor game).

IF he was let go (and there is no official report of that yet) then it wasn't because he and Capel didn't get along. It was from some other issues that happened during the year.

It would be sad to see Darby go. He has done a lot of positives for this program and helped bridge the gap and heal the wounds after the Sampson chaos. I wish he and his family nothing but the best if this is true.

Yet Jerry Schmidt still roams the sideline.

I will let my past info speak for itself. I am just trying to dispell a falsity. That's all man. Think higher power as the reason for Darby having to sit back (after an incident during last year's Baylor game).

IF he was let go (and there is no official report of that yet) then it wasn't because he and Capel didn't get along. It was from some other issues that happened during the year.

It would be sad to see Darby go. He has done a lot of positives for this program and helped bridge the gap and heal the wounds after the Sampson chaos. I wish he and his family nothing but the best if this is true.

There is no denying, especially from me, that you are far more connected to the OU program than I could ever dream of being. And it's things like that that make this board better than any other OU forum.

Like I said, I trust the guy I got this from. He's about as involved in the athletic department as you can get, and I've known him for a while.

I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph. I always hate to see people losing their jobs, especially when they have a good track record like Darby does. That being said, he seems like a bright guy and I'm sure he's got a great future ahead of him.

I'm actually sorry to find out the info is true. Thought Darby did a great job but who really knows? In response to the poster who talked about OSUs vs OU guys, what about guys like Terrell Harris and Byron Eaton? You can't take a couple of guys and make general statements. Also, I don't think Darby was ever here when Hollis was. Tony C may not look like it but he has gained 20 pounds since high school. I know Longar gained over 20 pounds and loved Darby. I guess SoonerQuick or somebody who knows the Griffins can ask them and see what they have to say.

Last edited:
I'd like to think that it isn't Joe C's final decision on where our strength and conditioning coach sits. Maybe he didn't like that one incident, but I'd have to think that Capel was thinking along the same lines for that move to actually happen. Joe C isn't the kind of AD to TELL a coach he has to do something, something that should be his decision.

Either way, it's been posted before that Capel and Darby weren't best buds.

I am not shocked, again, that I have to come here for breaking basketball info...

Confirming that OUInsider sucks when it comes to reporting anything not called football...

I'm actually sorry to find out the info is true. Thought Darby did a great job but who really knows? In response to the poster who talked about OSUs vs OU guys, what about guys like Terrell Harris and Byron Eaton? You can't take a couple of guys and make general statements. Also, I don't think Darby was ever here when Hollis was. Tony C may not lool like it but he has gained 20 pounds since high school. I know Longar gained over 20 pounds and loved Darby. I guess SoonerQuick or somebody who knows the Griffins can ask them and see what they have to say.

Thanks for breaking this story, Stanley11. Do you know if this decision was just a matter of cleaning house or is there more to the story? I would like to know why the Griffin brothers (RW?) FELT they needed to go out to Northern California to improve their S&C. Looking back on it, that decision should have been a RED flag.

Either way, it's been posted before that Capel and Darby weren't best buds.

When Jeff took over the program, do you know if he was FORCED to put Darby on his staff? Initially, I thought Darby was going to follow Kelvin to IU and then he changed his mind.

I am not shocked, again, that I have to come here for breaking basketball info...

Confirming that OUInsider sucks when it comes to reporting anything not called football...
Clap! Clap!

I'd like to think that it isn't Joe C's final decision on where our strength and conditioning coach sits. Maybe he didn't like that one incident, but I'd have to think that Capel was thinking along the same lines for that move to actually happen. Joe C isn't the kind of AD to TELL a coach he has to do something, something that should be his decision.Either way, it's been posted before that Capel and Darby weren't best buds.

You don't know Joe C too well then (or David Boren for that matter). I don't fault Joe for the aforementioned incident. He was doing his job.

Show me where it is stated that Capel and Darby aren't "best buds". Sometimes, TU, incidents happen that cause changes to need to take place.

You don't know Joe C too well then (or David Boren for that matter). I don't fault Joe for the aforementioned incident. He was doing his job.

Show me where it is stated that Capel and Darby aren't "best buds". Sometimes, TU, incidents happen that cause changes to need to take place.

I disagree. I think Joe C has shown that he stays out of the day-to-day stuff, as he should. And Boren too. Neither have EVER shown signs of micro-managing the coaches at OU.

Where it is stated? Like what, in the Bible? It isn't. There have been rumblings every year since after Capel's first season that they might not have been on the same page, Capel and Darby. And that is fine, it happens. Not a big deal at all.

I disagree. I think Joe C has shown that he stays out of the day-to-day stuff, as he should. And Boren too. Neither have EVER shown signs of micro-managing the coaches at OU.

Where it is stated? Like what, in the Bible? It isn't. There have been rumblings every year since after Capel's first season that they might not have been on the same page, Capel and Darby. And that is fine, it happens. Not a big deal at all.

Nice try.

When Jeff took over the program, do you know if he was FORCED to put Darby on his staff? Initially, I thought Darby was going to follow Kelvin to IU and then he changed his mind.

I think based on the fact that it appeared Darby was going to follow Sampson, then changed his mind, at least to me, shows that Capel probably wasn't forced to keep him. There was talk of forcing Capel to keep Hoffman too, and that didn't happen. I can't imagine Joe C would have forced Capel's hand in this. I think Jeff wanted/needed some time to get to know Darby, and once he did, he asked him to stay. Obviously since then, Jeff's opinion has changed.

There is no denying, especially from me, that you are far more connected to the OU program than I could ever dream of being. And it's things like that that make this board better than any other OU forum.

Like I said, I trust the guy I got this from. He's about as involved in the athletic department as you can get, and I've known him for a while.

I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph. I always hate to see people losing their jobs, especially when they have a good track record like Darby does. That being said, he seems like a bright guy and I'm sure he's got a great future ahead of him.

I trust my source as well. If that were not the case, I would not have reopened this thread after it was locked.

Show me an example, or a couple, where what I said is not true.

Joe C doesn't meddle. That is one reason he is good at his job.

Never said that he wasn't good at his job. There is an individual on this board that would be a perfect example of just how involved Joe C is with some of the small things. If he chooses to reveal his story, then you will get a perfect example.

It doesn't haven't to be looked at as a bad thing. Some folks just like to be involved with as much as possible.

I am pretty sure that if I claimed the sky were blue that you.....

Back