New Strength Coach 2

Yeah, I just made the stuff up. You caught me.

I wasn't talking about you making stuff up. I was talking about people making accusations that very well may not be true. Read the thread and you will see what I meant.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about anyone making stuff up. I was talking about people making accusations that very well may not be true. Read the thread and you will see what I meant.

Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't know why Darby got fired. I don't know who fired Darby. I do know that there are some incidents that went on during the season that ruffled some feathers. I am not sure if those incidents caused him to lose his job.

I also know that last year's Baylor game (following the Shepard/Blake mini fight) that Darby ran onto the court, and then got in trouble with Joe C and the higher ups. He was forced to sit behind the bench after further evaluation.

If Darby is gone, something tells me that Jeff Capel fired him, and he probably fired him for a good reason. Not knocking Darby's contributions to OU, but Capel doesn't seem like the guy to fire people for the heck of it. Usually when people lose their jobs, unless it's an across-the-board layoff scenario, there's usually a good reason.

It will interesting to see what Capel does, if he just hires a pure strength coach, then there would be more to the story about Darby not getting along with Capel or job performance. If Capel hires an extra "assistant" then it could be a strategical decision.

Either way, good luck to Darby and his family. My only advice is for him not to flash his abs at a scrimmage like he did a few years ago.

Bigtme, always value what you say on this board but Darby was never penalized at all for being ejected after Baylor game. After review of that particular game, it was evident that Darby was breaking up an altercation between AJ and Baylor coach. Capel reviewed the situation and thanked Darby for his help. Darby was never off of the bench the entire season after the game.

Darby CHOSE to sit in seats in front of recruits this year at home games vs sitting on the 2nd row bench. He sat on the front row bench at ALL away games this season other than tourney games which have a strict headcount on first row.

To previous poster, Darby was the strength coach when Johnny Gilbert was a player at OU. He was here for the 2004-2005 season when they won the conference title.

Everyone is making assumptions on what has gone down in this situation. For those that think you are in the know, why don't you find out for Darby himself what happend. He is still working the guys out as we speak each day. Know for a fact that Blake and others are still working out with him at the gym. If he was leaving on bad terms, do you think that Capel would still let him work with the guys at Lloyd Noble? How often does a (fired) coach stay on and keep working with current players?

Bigtme, always value what you say on this board but Darby was never penalized at all for being ejected after Baylor game. After review of that particular game, it was evident that Darby was breaking up an altercation between AJ and Baylor coach. Capel reviewed the situation and thanked Darby for his help. Darby was never off of the bench the entire season after the game.

Darby CHOSE to sit in seats in front of recruits this year at home games vs sitting on the 2nd row bench. He sat on the front row bench at ALL away games this season other than tourney games which have a strict headcount on first row.

To previous poster, Darby was the strength coach when Johnny Gilbert was a player at OU. He was here for the 2004-2005 season when they won the conference title.

Everyone is making assumptions on what has gone down in this situation. For those that think you are in the know, why don't you find out for Darby himself what happend. He is still working the guys out as we speak each day. Know for a fact that Blake and others are still working out with him at the gym. If he was leaving on bad terms, do you think that Capel would still let him work with the guys at Lloyd Noble? How often does a (fired) coach stay on and keep working with current players?

You are right, Darby came Gilbert's last season. I worked for the team the previous two years, but then went to football video the following season and just wasn't thinking. But the point of bringing Johnny up is really odd, JG was in great physical shape, very strong and ripped up.

Are you guys not sure if he is indeed leaving that he might be leaving on his own terms for another job? I hear that may be the case, but not a college basketball team, something different.

You are right, Darby came Gilbert's last season. I worked for the team the previous two years, but then went to football video the following season and just wasn't thinking. But the point of bringing Johnny up is really odd, JG was in great physical shape, very strong and ripped up.

Are you guys not sure if he is indeed leaving that he might be leaving on his own terms for another job? I hear that may be the case, but not a college basketball team, something different.

I don't know how much you remember about Johnny, but He probably had the toughest time getting up and down court than any player OU had outside of Ryan Humphrey the last 10 or 12 years. Alot of that was due to injury, but alot was conditioning. It's unfair for Darby to get all of the blame, but OU hasn't had the same type of conditioned athletes that KU, UT, and OSU have had.

I don't know how much you remember about Johnny, but He probably had the toughest time getting up and down court than any player OU had outside of Ryan Humphrey the last 10 or 12 years. Alot of that was due to injury, but alot was conditioning. It's unfair for Darby to get all of the blame, but OU hasn't had the same type of conditioned athletes that KU, UT, and OSU have had.

Didn't he have bad asmatha?

Some of you guys need to lay off, b/c you are just guessing, and appear to be WAY off base.

I'm not denying that, I remember reading a scouting report in the past that said there were some weight concerns.

If my memory serves me correctly, Jeff made a public comment about the team’s lack of conditioning at the end of his first(?) season. I'm guessing the truth/reason(s) for Darby's departure will eventually come out.

Last edited:

Well considering I spent nearly every day of my life around Johnny for 2 years I am going to go out on a limb and say I remember quite a bit about him and probably know him better than anyone that posts on this board.

I was just referring to the way he looked. I think Johnny just looked like he was tired all the time because he played so hard. I don't think it effected him that much.

And Hollis definitely was gone before Darby got here.

Well considering I spent nearly every day of my life around Johnny for 2 years I am going to go out on a limb and say I remember quite a bit about him and probably know him better than anyone that posts on this board.

I was just referring to the way he looked. I think Johnny just looked like he was tired all the time because he played so hard. I don't think it effected him that much.

And Hollis definitely was gone before Darby got here.

If he had asthma, I was out of bounds for saying that. I personally think OU has been behind as far as conditioning is concerned. Seeing Tony and AJ getting tossed around the court. AJ was injury prone, and alot of that may have been due to lack of stregnth. He was already an outstanding leaper and our best shot blocker, a little stregnth would have made him more effective. Crocker looks the same he did when he came in. We all have seen Crocker get ran over on a drive, or get bumped 5 ft off his man on a screen to know where he is lacking. It's pretty unfair of me to blame OU's last 10 years on Darby.

I am sure that that is the reason that was given. It is like Ford's people claiming he said Effing get into it (when clearly he called Obi an effing idiot). The truth is sometimes different than the given reason.

I stand by what I said about it. I like Darby a lot. I don't think he did anything wrong per se by leaving the bench that game (it was against the rules but there seemed to be just cause), but it struck a chord with Joe C ,who was sitting right there watching it unfold. I will repeat that I don't think that is the reason for him leaving otherwise he wouldn't have stayed this year.

I think it ended up working out well with Darby being near the recruits for the rest of that year (and this year).

He will land on his feet and do very well with his next gig.

Good luck to Coach Darby! :clap

This was what I heard (see, "rumor") about 3 months ago. They just waited for the season to play out.

Darby got another job offer. There was no hard feelings between him and Coach Capel, not sure where this stuff gets started!

I think it's funny when hoops strength coaches get the blame/credit for a team's physical conditioning during the basketball season (at OU and everywhere else). For 99% of the programs across the country, the head coach takes over the conditioining reins once practice starts. The strength coach's job is to get the players in great shape to start October practices. While the players will continue to work with the strength guy during the season with lifting and stretching stuff, the HC's take over the conditioining. HC's are the ones who put the players on the lines at end of practice. They are also the ones that control the pace of practice and whether or not there is alot of fullcourt or halfcourt work. These factors play alot greater role in January thru March than what the players did in the summer and fall.

:sooner

Darby got another job offer. There was no hard feelings between him and Coach Capel, not sure where this stuff gets started!

Good for him. I am thankful that he stayed the course after Sampson left. Best of luck to him and his family!

Back