New Strength Coach 2

Darby got another job offer. There was no hard feelings between him and Coach Capel, not sure where this stuff gets started!

Haha, you really don't know where it gets started? Just read through this thread! Idle hands...

But that's good to hear about Darby. Just a lesson that the simplest answer is usually the right one. The bench conspiracy may finally be put to rest... but probably not with some people...

Haha, you really don't know where it gets started? Just read through this thread! Idle hands...

But that's good to hear about Darby. Just a lesson that the simplest answer is usually the right one. The bench conspiracy may finally be put to rest... but probably not with some people...

The bench "conspiracy" happened whether you choose to believe it or not. It had nothing to do with him leaving. It was over a year ago.

I am done debating it. It really doesn't matter at this point.

Has anyone from OU made an official statement regarding this matter? If not, why the mystery? Also, does anyone have any knowledge concerning the type of relationship Darby had with the players?

Has anyone from OU made an official statement regarding this matter? If not, why the mystery? Also, does anyone have any knowledge concerning the type of relationship Darby had with the players?

Maybe they are waiting until he signs some kind of contract with his new job.

The bench "conspiracy" happened whether you choose to believe it or not. It had nothing to do with him leaving. It was over a year ago.

I am done debating it. It really doesn't matter at this point.

BT is right, he was moved because of that incident but they moved all of the trainers, the only one who kept their chair was Alex Brown.

Darby was not removed from the bench due to any disruption, Baylor incident. Once again, disability group filed a complaint due to limited access for wheelchairs. They took off seats from the front bench. He sat on the front bench at ALL out of town games. Stop with the rumors. I'm on the inside. I know.

Darby was not removed from the bench due to any disruption, Baylor incident. Once again, disability group filed a complaint due to limited access for wheelchairs. They took off seats from the front bench. He sat on the front bench at ALL out of town games. Stop with the rumors. I'm on the inside. I know.

No he didn't

I know! I know! I know!

What are we talking about?

(That's how stupid this thread has become)

Darby was at the men's banquet tonight. I would think if there were issues with others he wouldn't have been there but he was.

It's not good when some of the best posters on this board are at odds with each other on an issue. Why don't we just agree to disagree and wish Darby well.

Almost hate I started this thread and hopefully this information from last nights banquet will end it. I introduced myself to Darby and his wife at the banquet and asked him if it was true that he was leaving OU. His response almost word for word was "this night is about these kids and talking about anything other than that would not be fair to them or their accomplishments." He said this with no trace of bitterness so I didn't really know how to read into it.

I then jokingly told him about the bench question and the discussion it had caused on the message board. He laughed and said his wife had showed him our posts. He said that he sat behind the bench at home games after the bench was shortened because of some concerns over wheelchair access. He said that after Kyle Cannon was kicked off he could have moved to his old spot but that since we were undefeated at home he was superstitious and didn't want to change anything. He also said he liked sitting there because it gave him the entire game to interact with recruits like Ellis, Taylor, Cameron, and Hardrick family. He said that he sat on the bench at all road games except the Big 12 and NCAA tournament games. He truly seemed to get a kick out of this subject.

I really hope this will end this thread and we can move on to other things. If Darby really is leaving I wish him the best of luck. Even though we had never officially met, he was very cordial and seemed in no hurry to leave the conversation. He also thanked me for attending the banquet and supporting the program. :clap

Last edited:
Almost hate I started this thread and hopefully this information from last nights banquet will end it. I introduced myself to Darby and his wife at the banquet and asked him if it was true that he was leaving OU. His response almost word for word was "this night is about these kids and talking about anything other than that would not be fair to them or their accomplishments." He said this with no trace of bitterness so I didn't really know how to read into it.

I then jokingly told him about the bench question and the discussion it had caused on the message board. He laughed and said his wife had showed him our posts. He said that he sat behind the bench at home games after the bench was shortened because of some concerns over wheelchair access. He said that after Kyle Cannon was kicked off he could have moved to his old spot but that since we were undefeated at home he was superstitious and didn't want to change anything. He also said he liked sitting there because it gave him the entire game to interact with recruits like Ellis, Franklin, Cameron, and Hardrick family. He said that he sat on the bench at all road games except the Big 12 and NCAA tournament games. He truly seemed to get a kick out of this subject.

I really hope this will end this thread and we can move on to other things. If Darby really is leaving I wish him the best of luck. Even though we had never officially met, he was very cordial and seemed in no hurry to leave the conversation. He also thanked me for attending the banquet and supporting the program. :clap

Thanks for posting!

My apology if this has been discussed in this thread, but, who is involved in hiring new strength coach? I have heard that Schmidt (Schmidtie) is the primary decision maker as the director of sports enhancement. I doubt he hires someone, without Capel's approval. But, does anyone know the process?

My apology if this has been discussed in this thread, but, who is involved in hiring new strength coach? I have heard that Schmidt (Schmidtie) is the primary decision maker as the director of sports enhancement. I doubt he hires someone, without Capel's approval. But, does anyone know the process?

Joe C. is the ultimate decision maker, can't tell you anymore than that.

Schmidt may make a recommendation, but he has basically zero say in the new hire. Basketball is basically its own entity at the LNC. While most strength coaches assist in football and then one other sport, the men's basketball strength coach does only basketball, nothing else. They have extremely limited interaction with Schmidt. It's Capel's choice, to be approved by Joe C.

Innocent question: Does the basketball S&C coach do it for both the Men's and Women's teams? If so, does Sherri have any input into the decision? Finally, is there a seperate S&C coach for the Women? I think about all the knee injuries in Women's basketball........

Innocent question: Does the basketball S&C coach do it for both the Men's and Women's teams? If so, does Sherri have any input into the decision? Finally, is there a seperate S&C coach for the Women? I think about all the knee injuries in Women's basketball........

I'm pretty sure they have a separate S&C coach for the women and the men.

Back