New Strength Coach 2

Is it possible that BigTime and Hoe are both right? Maybe Capel required him to sit behind the team BECAUSE of teh incident at Baylor.

From someone on the inside...the reason Darby was not on the bench at home games this year was due to the number of seats that the arena is allowed to have on the front row bench. A complaint from the handicapped association made a complaint and OU had to adjust. If you went/watched games on the road, Darby was sitting on the front bench like he has done in years past. NCAA tournament only allowed so many seats as well so Darby set at the press table.

Darby has been a great strength coach for the program. Former Division 1 basketball coach who got into strength and conditioning prior to his arrival at OU. Having a basketball guy who can help the players is a big assett to any program. Training a football/baseball player requires different techniques and all of the big basketball programs are now wanting basketball guys who can train in a way that is catered to basketball movements.

In my opinion, Darby has done very well during his tenure at OU. How many injuries did the team have this season due to conditioning? 0. He's had some great relationships with players and he has helped during the recruiting process to get players here as well. If Capel and Darby did not get along, Capel would have let him go after season 1. You don't keep someone on your staff, who spends a tremendous time with your players one on one, if you don't really care for them.

This season is the first time I've ever heard rumblings of complaints about Rich, and that was after the improvement the Griffins showed after their trip to Cali.

Personally, I always thought he did a good job. I mean, I think he got the max strength-wise out of Longar and AJ. Their frames just wouldn't allow much more. I will say the improvement of the Griffin bros was an eye-opener, so maybe that was a major factor. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

That being said, is there any way we can even begin to speculate on who Capel might bring in? I'm guessing the guy from California is pretty content with his current set-up? Didn't he train pro athletes too?

That guy would be great though. What he did with two already phenomenal athletes like Taylor and Blake, making them even better, was pretty incredible.

This season is the first time I've ever heard rumblings of complaints about Rich, and that was after the improvement the Griffins showed after their trip to Cali.

Personally, I always thought he did a good job. I mean, I think he got the max strength-wise out of Longar and AJ. Their frames just wouldn't allow much more. I will say the improvement of the Griffin bros was an eye-opener, so maybe that was a major factor. Best of luck to him wherever he ends up.

That being said, is there any way we can even begin to speculate on who Capel might bring in? I'm guessing the guy from California is pretty content with his current set-up? Didn't he train pro athletes too?

That guy would be great though. What he did with two already phenomenal athletes like Taylor and Blake, making them even better, was pretty incredible.

I would think hiring Frank would seem to be highly unlikely. The guy appears to have a good thing going on, and likes to keep a low profile.

I would think hiring Frank would seem to be highly unlikely. The guy appears to have a good thing going on, and likes to keep a low profile.

I wonder if Big Larry Orton or Ray McCallum's dad have any strength and conditioning experience? :)

Never said that he wasn't good at his job. There is an individual on this board that would be a perfect example of just how involved Joe C is with some of the small things. If he chooses to reveal his story, then you will get a perfect example.

It doesn't haven't to be looked at as a bad thing. Some folks just like to be involved with as much as possible.

I am pretty sure that if I claimed the sky were blue that you.....

I'm very familiar with that story, and agree that it is proof of Joe C's involvement on every level with OU's sports programs.

Maybe that's why he is viewed as one of the top athletic directors in college sports. He may not look over anyone's shoulder 24-7, but he wouldn't be good at his job if he didn't have his finger on the pulse of the programs he's responsible for.

While highly unlikely would it not be entertaining to have a guy walking around with his face covered up before the and during games?
I bet he could even pull off a nice evil eyes look from the sidelines that could rival the Schmitty presence at the football games.

While highly unlikely would it not be entertaining to have a guy walking around with his face covered up before the and during games?
I bet he could even pull off a nice evil eyes look from the sidelines that could rival the Schmitty presence at the football games.

Frank was actually the guy in the green suit at the Tech game. He wanted to see how his handywork changed Blake's game.

I'm pretty sure Ray McCallum's dad is still the coach at Detroit. Let's all forget about Daniel Orton and move on with Tiny and Fitzgerald.

unfortunate. It's hard to force a relationship from another administration. Makes me curious as if it was part of the negotiations with Joe C., or even if Joe C played a part. Usually when there are issues like that, and a guy has been apart of the university for some years, the university will reassign him. OSU has done this with Kyle Keller several times. Some of you guys have noted that Capel and Rich didn't get along, but could this decision be based on performance. If you look at some of the Athletes OU has had over the years, alot of guys never developed physically and some guys never got into shape. AJ, Tony, Hollis, Big O, Bookout, and Gilbert are some examples. In contrast, if you look at OSU and how some of their guys come and looking, and leave looking, it's night and day. Marcus Dove, and Ivan McFarlin are examples. Now both of those guys redshirted, but their is a huge difference.

Gilbert???

Johnnie Gilbert? He was absolutely ripped and graduated the year before Darby got here.

this is capel's program and I respect his authority and ability to make his own hires.

that said - to sit here and badmouth Darby now is crap. I seem to remember many people who were very happy with him not too long ago. now, suddenly, he's incompetent?

Cool M is absolutely right, nobody here has a valid opinion on this issue. Unless you were there during all the workouts and can truly evaluate the work he has done you are just making stuff up. Sure there might be a few guys here that have some "connections" and what not, but nobody that I know of has much first hand knowledge on this topic. I was only there for a short time when he took over but I know others who were there while he has been the strength coach and they thought he did a good job.

Must be the off-season when a new strength and conditioning coach is the hot topic.

If Capel wants to make a change in personnel on his staff, so be it, that is what he is getting paid to do. To me personally, doesn't matter if Capel and Darby got along or if Darby wasn't doing a good job...if Capel wants a change, that is all the explanation I need.

Must be the off-season when a new strength and conditioning coach is the hot topic.

If Capel wants to make a change in personnel on his staff, so be it, that is what he is getting paid to do. To me personally, doesn't matter if Capel and Darby got along or if Darby wasn't doing a good job...if Capel wants a change, that is all the explanation I need.
This.

I think the strength coach is important. I would talk about it during the season as well.

I am not sure anyone is saying that Capel or higher up shouldn't be able to make a change. Where are you getting that from?

I'm actually sorry to find out the info is true. Thought Darby did a great job but who really knows? In response to the poster who talked about OSUs vs OU guys, what about guys like Terrell Harris and Byron Eaton? You can't take a couple of guys and make general statements. Also, I don't think Darby was ever here when Hollis was. Tony C may not look like it but he has gained 20 pounds since high school. I know Longar gained over 20 pounds and loved Darby. I guess SoonerQuick or somebody who knows the Griffins can ask them and see what they have to say.

OSU had Randy Rutherford as a stregnth and conditioning coach the last three years before this year. The guy they had before him was an actual conditioning guy. There is your answer.

I think the strength coach is important. I would talk about it during the season as well.

I am not sure anyone is saying that Capel or higher up shouldn't be able to make a change. Where are you getting that from?
I believe he means that some are talking about whether this was Jeff's decision or Joe C's. Also, some are talking about whether he was doing a good job or whether the two guys got along.

The bottom line is, none of that really matters and Jeff will now bring in whomever he wants to fill that job and most likely OU men's basketball will move forward and never miss a beat.

Agreed.

My thoughts on this matter are limited strictly to the report that Darby is no longer with the program. I'm not in a position (nor have I been) to judge his worth as a strength and conditioning coach.

I believe he means that some are talking about whether this was Jeff's decision or Joe C's. Also, some are talking about whether he was doing a good job or whether the two guys got along.

The bottom line is, none of that really matters and Jeff will now bring in whomever he wants to fill that job and most likely OU men's basketball will move forward and never miss a beat.

Agreed. Still, it is important to try to get the facts straight. It is also important to debate topics relating to OU basketball. That is the point of this board.

I could make this same bolded post relevant for 90% of the threads on this site (including on your lady sooner board).

Last edited:
Agreed. Still, it is important to try to get the facts straight. It is also important to debate topics relating to OU basketball. That is the point of this board.

I could make this same bolded topic for 90% of the threads on this site (including on your lady sooner board).
Offering an opinion is one thing but continuing to argue a point without actual knowledge of the facts is another.

I wonder if Big Larry Orton or Ray McCallum's dad have any strength and conditioning experience? :)

LOL! That's funny. But you are hitting on something about that position. Some coaches opt to go with an extra assistant type who can get a work out regimine for players. Others go with actual basketball people. I heard Ray McCallum's dad on a radio interview in St. Louis earlier this year. He sounded very happy. Alot happier than he did after the Sampson situation. It will be interesting though, because conditioning is going to be very important, but Capel's basketball connections may have him hire someone in his circle.

I agree with Bigtime in his theory that this was not solely Capel's call. Generally if there is that problem with the Head Coach and a staff member from a previous coach, if that staff member is in good standings, the University generally reassigns him.

Back