OU Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
I know this board is designed for hoops. But I think the people running it are the best of any OU site.

So this leads to my question, can we get a football board, down by the NBA board. Not in any way meant to take lead billing away from the basketball but just so as we enter this sports season the people here have a forum to discuss that sport.

The other sites all have baggage one way or another, this site does not and that's because the people in charge are level headed.

What do you think?

I know this board is designed for hoops. But I think the people running it are the best of any OU site.

So this leads to my question, can we get a football board, down by the NBA board. Not in any way meant to take lead billing away from the basketball but just so as we enter this sports season the people here have a forum to discuss that sport.

The other sites all have baggage one way or another, this site does not and that's because the people in charge are level headed.

What do you think?

I would forget about adding any political, religious or football forums. Keep it basketball related. :)

:kelvin

it's ridic. we need a football board. it wouldn't take over the hoops board; this is still a carl's jr. oklahoma hoops forum first, but we can talk football w/o those ou ftball elitist posters. :clap

I think an OU football discussion on this board with these posters would be the best OU football discussion on the net. However, there is no question the rift raft will come over with the lame discussions about Texas, making out every athlete to be the next all pro, and calling for the firing of venables.

I think an OU football discussion on this board with these posters would be the best OU football discussion on the net. However, there is no question the rift raft will come over with the lame discussions about Texas, making out every athlete to be the next all pro, and calling for the firing of venables.

fIRE vENABLES1!!!1!

Errrm, sorry. And I do think this site has the most level-headed collection of Sooner fans on the net.

OU football is everywhere. I love it, but don't want it on this site. I can list at least 8 sites that you can go to get lively oufootball discussion. Let's keep this one dedicated to basketball. JMO

BT

I think we'd get some good banter here, probably better than anywhere else. The problem is that with football, you'd get posters wandering over here and then ruining both boards. I'm fine with a politics/off-topic/whatever you want to call it board, but I think football would be a bad idea. Basketball only as far as OU sports goes is what makes this a special place.

well i think potential absurdity of a message board is about the size, for the most part. the reason why this site is so great is b/c there aren't thousands of people logging on all day long.

there's a great, intimate and manageable selection of OU Hoops posters here who make this site such a pleasure.

with that said, i do think the possibility of a football board "could" be a good thing here. i too yearn for some OU football talk with normal, intelligent folks that quite simply cannot be found elsewhere.

my suggestions for creating a football board:
1. keep it down at the bottom of the Forum List
2. make a codename for it like: Llabtoof board, Oblong Ball Board or OU Croquet Club Board.
3. give it a try, if it becomes a cesspool for...well, you know what, then simply kill the board. no big deal. there's nothing that drives a large portion of OU football fans away like OU Hoops discussion.

I think we'd get some good banter here, probably better than anywhere else. The problem is that with football, you'd get posters wandering over here and then ruining both boards. I'm fine with a politics/off-topic/whatever you want to call it board, but I think football would be a bad idea. Basketball only as far as OU sports goes is what makes this a special place.

My thoughts exactly. This is a hoops message board. If you want to talk football there are already several good sites on the internet to do it.

I like this as a basketball only site. I think its doing just fine. I mean we have all things OU basketball and even an NBA forum. To me, thats just enough for me. Basketball is what makes this site special.

Besides, if I want football discussion, I'll get that somewhere else.

Do you guys have a moderator board on this site for discussing site things? If so, is that visible to me?

Same idea. Make yourselves a football board, make it hidden to the public, and available by invite. Then you have your football board without baggage.

I get my football from several other sites. I came to this one because of the lame or lack of coverage on the others. keep it about :OUbball-logo:

This is without a doubt the best place to talk OU hoops there is. I feel if a football board was added it would only dilute the site with reasons already mentioned above. Part of the reason this board was created was to get away from the fickle football fans.

i just have to vent. I am banned on ouinsider for saying somethign political on oc that wasn't in the political thread even though I didn't start the thread. Anyways i got online at 10 to buy tickets to the byu game and i got 7 together. I was on the confirmation screen and you have 2 minutes. I hit confirm or continue with 45 seconds left and it said the tickets were not available! How the hell does that work?! So I tried again and they were out of 7 together. So I tried 4 and had the same thing happen! I called ticketmaster and they said they are sorry but there is nothign they can do. Man I am so pissed off

i just have to vent. I am banned on ouinsider for saying somethign political on oc that wasn't in the political thread even though I didn't start the thread. Anyways i got online at 10 to buy tickets to the byu game and i got 7 together. I was on the confirmation screen and you have 2 minutes. I hit confirm or continue with 45 seconds left and it said the tickets were not available! How the hell does that work?! So I tried again and they were out of 7 together. So I tried 4 and had the same thing happen! I called ticketmaster and they said they are sorry but there is nothign they can do. Man I am so pissed off

The very same thing happened to me! Its terrible!

I'm not opposed to a football board, just not one that could potentially undermine the mission this site was founded on, long before it was announced publicly. Our primary focus is basketball; OU hoops (thus, the name) in particular.

MGB's idea is not a bad one, and it may have merit, because I do believe our members are capable of discussing most any topic (see exceptions below) in a civil manner. But, for my part, I would rather see OUHoops remain a basketball-only web site. That's one of the things that sets us apart from the others.

As an aside, I'm strongly opposed to adding an off-topics board where religion and politics are discussed. Those are two topics that create a no-win situation for administrators and moderators, and it would almost certainly destroy the reasonably peaceful atmosphere this site is known for. Sorry, but I've got to give a big thumbs down to that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back