OU vs WVU 6pm CST on ESPN2

BoulderSooner

Owner/Operator
Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/OU_MBBall/status/1498342481829658625?s=20&t=sSoWECGrbdxPkkMwbectZA[/TWEET]

NORMAN – Oklahoma (15-14, 5-11 Big 12) hosts West Virginia (14-15, 3-13 Big 12) Tuesday, March 1st at Lloyd Noble Center for the home regular season finale.

OU last played Saturday, Feb. 26 and earned the 66-62 overtime Bedlam victory over Oklahoma State. Tanner Groves led Oklahoma in points (14), rebounds (10) and assists (4). Groves earned his first double-double in the Crimson and Cream. Five Sooners finished in double figures, including 10 points by Marvin Johnson, who had the game-sealing steal and layup.

The Sooners will hold a Senior Day ceremony for Ethan Chargois, Jordan Goldwire, Johnson and Umoja Gibson.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/2/28/mens-basketball-ou-hosts-west-virginia-tuesday.aspx

OU -5.5 O/U 135.5

Last edited:
Mo participating in senior day makes me think he has decided to turn pro

lol, we better go find a guard that can shoot the 3 this offseason. For a team/offense that gets open looks from deep, we sure aren't built to take advantage of it.

lol, we better go find a guard that can shoot the 3 this offseason. For a team/offense that gets open looks from deep, we sure aren't built to take advantage of it.

all 3 freshman coming in can shoot it

Opens up a portal slot as far as I am concerned. I think OU needs to think front court banger - if they can find one. Maybe Mawien can be that guy, but I'd love to see someone with some beef to help TG defend bigger bigs. Mo's shooting will be difficult to replace, but his size on the perimeter has sometimes been a liability.

Izzy transfer would be possible as well - so maybe two front-court guys.

Maybe a PG too...not sold on Bijan or Mason at this point.

Last edited:
I think we're going to have more turnover than most expect this offseason. I'm guessing we lose at least 3 from the group of players that could come back.

Mo - looks to be gone

Mason, Noland, Big Rick, Cortes (I think he stays, but I wouldn't be shocked) - so I'm saying two more from that group, at least

Good catch, Boulder. Will be sad to see Gibson go. Going to be difficult to replace that shooting. Hopefully we get a legit replacement in the portal ready to fill the shooting void.

WVU is 1-9 on the road. Their only win was by 6 @UAB.

why does everyone thing the freshman are possibilities to transfer?

Appears that he's doing it just in case.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/BPrzybylo/status/1498395289568301058?s=20&t=GFrqUkjYwBnTFwbK3gV5iA[/TWEET]

why does everyone thing the freshman are possibilities to transfer?

In the case of Mason and Cortes, because they are likely to be recruited over VERY quickly. I haven't seen enough of Mason to know if he has the tools to improve. He has the athleticism. I think Cortes will stay, and some won't like hearing this, but the kid isn't athletic enough to be a starting pg at OU. He just isn't. And that isn't likely to change. With Noland, it's just a gut feeling. He didn't commit to Porter Moser. He probably hasn't played as much as he thinks he should have. His body language hasn't been great. And honestly, given his skill set, I'm not sure he is a great fit for a Porter Moser team. Not saying he is some terrible fit. But it's not a great fit. There was chatter of Noland looking elsehwere when Lon left. Moser managed to hold onto him. I'm not sure that will be the case this offseason.

Why do you think everybody should stay from a roster that has clearly underachieved?

all 3 freshman coming in can shoot it

Agreed. I realize they’re all freshmen, so I could be wrong. But in watching their highlight videos and reading the scouting reports, I have a feeling this trio of recruits are going to surprise a few people, maybe even me, in a good way.

Could this be my usual overly optimistic projection about next year’s recruiting class? I won’t rule that out entirely. But, my gut tells me Schroder, Oweh and Uzan are cut from a different cloth, meaning we’re going to see a new brand of toughness we haven’t seen from an entire class in sometime.

What does the scouts have to say? Jerry Palm’s reports on Otega and Uzan:

Otega: “Has a tremendous physique. Is a powerful straight line driver who loves to get to the rim. Is tough in transition. Also is a reliable catch and shoot three-point shooter. Doesn't have a lot of wiggle with the basketball but makes plays in traffic. Adequate ball handler and passer. Is a tough, physical defender with versatility to guard the top non-center scorer on the opposition. Rebounds his position with strength.”

Uzan: “Has a slender but long build for a point guard. Is a smooth athlete but has an athletic burst that helps him get separation and come up with steals. Shoots the ball well from deep. Can finish at the rim with either hand. And has a devastating midrange scoring game. Loves to go left and loves to shoot a one foot floater. Sees the floor exceptionally well while driving to score. Is a creative passer off the dribble with either hand. Has the ball on a string as a handler. Is a crafty defender who gets into passing lanes. Moves feet well but needs to build up strength to defend on the ball. Has room to improve as a rebounder.”

Write up I found on Schroder:

Now that Schroder is committed to Oklahoma, his plan is to take a year to focus on basketball full-time before enrolling in Norman next summer. At 6-foot-7 and just 18 years old, Schroder is considered one of the more promising European-based recruits going the collegiate route. He averaged 16.6 points, 5.8 rebounds and 2.4 assists per game in about 23 minutes per outing at the FIBA U18 European Challengers this past summer. Schroder also led team Germany in scoring at the U16 European Championship back in 2019. He graduated high school over the summer and now shifts his focus to preparing for the next chapter of his career.

"I want to be the best basketball player I can become, while having as much fun as possible," Schroder told ESPN's Givony. "The US plays a different style of basketball and will give me a chance to work with the best coaches, facilities and physical programs in the world. I also love the States and hope it will be a good personal experience beside basketball."

In terms of what Shroder brings to the table, he's described as a slasher who embraces contact and frequently plays above the rim. He also has strong ball-handling skills and his overall skillset helps him find the free throw line consistently. Schroder was reportedly pursued by a number of professional squads in Germany and Spain, but decided to join Porter Moser's program instead.

So.....

A reliable three point shooter.
A pg* that shoots the ball well from deep.
And a player where his scouting report doesn't even mention his shooting.

*PG's tend to struggle shooting early b/c the rest of their game takes such a focus.

I like these three recruits. I even agree with Ada that they may be better from day 1 than we think. But it's possible for that to be true, and them to still not provide the shooting we'll need next year. Guess we'll find out soon when the Portal activity picks up after the season.

I hope that some of our resident "body language" experts will offer their services to Coach Moser, so that he can land just the right guys from the portal in the offseason. They'd be doing Sooner nation a huge solid.

In the case of Mason and Cortes, because they are likely to be recruited over VERY quickly. I haven't seen enough of Mason to know if he has the tools to improve. He has the athleticism. I think Cortes will stay, and some won't like hearing this, but the kid isn't athletic enough to be a starting pg at OU. He just isn't. And that isn't likely to change. With Noland, it's just a gut feeling. He didn't commit to Porter Moser. He probably hasn't played as much as he thinks he should have. His body language hasn't been great. And honestly, given his skill set, I'm not sure he is a great fit for a Porter Moser team. Not saying he is some terrible fit. But it's not a great fit. There was chatter of Noland looking elsehwere when Lon left. Moser managed to hold onto him. I'm not sure that will be the case this offseason.

Why do you think everybody should stay from a roster that has clearly underachieved?

I never said I thought they should stay. I just don't get the thinking that because a freshman doesn't get minutes, it is assumed he is going to leave.

Back