Press release with good details on Avila's OU signing

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is from the Seward CC official site. This is the kid who visited the weekend of the spring game:

http://www.scccsaints.com/index.php...-universities&catid=35:mbasketball&Itemid=171

Avila, a highly touted recruit throughout the 2012-2013 season was the final of the four to make his college choice. The 6’11 big man from the Bronx, New York decided on Tuesday morning that Oklahoma would be his choice after making his official visit to Norman over the weekend.

Avila, the emotional leader for the Saints in back to back runs to the Jayhawk West Conference Championship, was third on the team in 2012-13 with 11.4 points and second with 5.8 rebounds per game. He was a 1st Team All-Region and 2nd Team All-Jayhawk West selection as a sophomore. Avila started all 30 games that he played in for the Saints as a sophomore and scored 10 or more points in 20 of those games. He chalked up four double-doubles on the season including a 24 point, 11 rebound performance against Colby early in the conference season.

He will join a Sooners team in 2013-14 coming off of a 20-12 season in which they were a 10 seed in the NCAA Tournament. At OU he will play for legendary coach Lon Kruger, who before joining the Sooner staff in 2011, spent time as an NBA Head Coach for the Atlanta Hawks from 2000-2003 and has been the head man at UNLV, Illinois, Florida, and Kansas State over the past 30 years.

Avila chose Oklahoma over Memphis, Gonzaga, and Oklahoma State among others. When asked about his decision to play for the Sooners he said “as soon as I walked onto campus at OU and met the players, I got the same feeling of family as I have here at Seward County and knew it was the right place for me. I am really looking forward to competing as hard as I can for the next two seasons for my coaches and my teammates.”

BIFgVmPCUAAP0WW.jpg

Did Memphis, Gonzaga and Oklahoma State actually offer this guy?

CBS' Jon Rothstein tweeted this about Avila from last August:

@JonRothstein: Edson Avila attacks offensive rebounds like I go after leftovers on the day after Thanksgiving.

So there's that.

thats a nice comment about his style!

glad to see him coming to Norman!!!

I love the attitude. Seems like a really good kid. An attitude like that and non-stop motor can make up for a lot

I think those other schools has some interested in him.... This is my 5th post and I really like thie chat line... but I think all the memebers need to focus on OU you Basketball, inform more about more OU recruiting than other schools. There is no telling how many parents or recruits that are on this site and we are always talking about what other schools are doing with recruits. We can get OU basketball at the next level if we keep it OU. Thanks.

He seems on par with Kesaun Hamilton who I think OU signed and then they parted ways or was that another player?

Sounds good, we desperately need some power inside.

This kid had offers from Memphis and the Pokes ? If true makes the pick up sound even better.

He seems on par with Kesaun Hamilton who I think OU signed and then they parted ways or was that another player?

If that quote about offensive boards from Weisman bears out, he and Hamilton may have opposite styles. I recall Hamilton being more of a face-up shooter, but if this guy is an old-fashioned garbage man, they could compliment well. I imagine a frontcourt pairing of him and Spangler just driving finesse forwards nuts.

Did Memphis, Gonzaga and Oklahoma State actually offer this guy?

I don't know about Memphis or the Zags but OSU never offered him.
Chris Ferguson (OSU assistant coach) was at a tournament where Avila was playing and was scouting him I believe.

I'm sure Avila was an option for OSU farther down the list. Gary Gaskins was the JUCO PF/C we picked up and he was more highly touted than Avila at the time.

I know we were after Hamilton, Elliot, and Baylor signee Dominic Woodson.

I believe after missing on Woodson. The staff at OSU looked to Hamilton, Elliot, and Gaskins.

Elliot commited to OU and we were able to get Gaskins

Well, I do, pretty obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

Sounds like a good player. I hadn't heard of OSU offering and I'm pretty sure he never visited. That doesn't mean they weren't intereast at one point in the process.

Well, I do, pretty obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

I should have said "what difference does it make."

The young man is a Sooner, has a certain brain, heart, and physical make-up. He is or isn't coach able and has a given skill set. If nobody had offered or if the Miami Heat had offered it wouldn't change any of that.

What I have noticed is that folks use the offer sheet to build a preconceived idea about a new commit. I prefer to "taste the soup" regardless of whether it's an Bobby Flay recipe or not to determine its quality.

I'll wait and see just like I did for Amath and for Buddy this season.

The young man is a Sooner, has a certain brain, heart, and physical make-up. He is or isn't coach able and has a given skill set. If nobody had offered or if the Miami Heat had offered it wouldn't change any of that.

What I have noticed is that folks use the offer sheet to build a preconceived idea about a new commit. I prefer to "taste the soup" regardless of whether it's an Bobby Flay recipe or not to determine its quality.

Always the proper approach, no need to look for validation elsewhere.

screw that, i want to see the consensus opinions through other offers. i dont want anymore awful ginger players like nick thompson ever again!! offers from like southern utah and eastern new mexico.. Capel catch :facepalm

Another tweet on Avila from Sooner Nation:

@BPrzybylo: Coach Zollinger on #Sooners signee Edson Avila: "He's a high energy kid. Big personality, crowd is going to love him."

Back